Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia for hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
what do you think of Zambia as safari nation? would you please tel me about the possibilities and prices?
best regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari12..thanks for the info. I'm hunting in Zambia 7/06. 1st on my list is lion in the Mulobezi area. Any thoughts? thanks

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Zambia is a great place for cat hunting, but you have to plan well in advance to book there. Any outfitter that has good areas is already booked up through 2006. So, you should start planning for 2006 if any are left or 2007.

I do not know if anyone from Zambia has mentioned it lately, but the government there has just put a stop to the Kafue Lechwe hunting about a week ago due to foot & mouth in the flats. Do not know how long they will keep the ban on the Kafue Lechwe and it could be a week, a month or a year! Anyone that shot a Kafue Lechwe earlier this year, better check with their outfitter, as it will not be allowed to be exported until the ban is lifted again. Maybe someone from over there can update something else, but as of 2 days ago, my outfitter said the ban was still in affect. Had a client over there last week, and he could not go to the flats for the Kafue due to this.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny,
The hunting up there is good, and as a couple of the above posts mention - there are certain species of plainsgame there that are not found elsewhere. The infrastructure and transport arrangements have improved vastly over the last ten or so years, but it really depends on what you are looking for. If you have hunted in several other countries already & are looking for trophies that you cannot find in any of the more southern hunting countries then great.

If you are planning a first or second trip however you would probably be better off looking at any of the more frequently hunted countries down south, mainly because of price issues.

Generally you will find prices a little higher and you might find some operators insist on a minimum number of days for certain species - as mentioned above.

Zambia is a fantastic country to visit & travel in - with the right guide, and if you have already been into some other southern African countries you will notice quite a big difference between them and Zambia - hard to explain why, but it just feels different. If you do end up going to Zambia sometime you should definitely make a plan to spend some time on the Zambezi River - and not just Victoria Falls. I love to fish, and the Lower Zambezi has some awesome fishing for Tigerfish, Giant Catfish(up to 70 kilos) and other fish species as well. You can also plan a fishing trip for Nile Perch on Lake Victoria if you have the time and resources

Feel free to mail me if you have any specific questions. I will do my best to help out.

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zambia is a great destination for cats, sable and buffalo, but there are two catches:

1. Daily rates are up there with Tanzania. This ain't no $350/day deal.

2. To hunt anything really good, you have to book a minimum safari. Eg for cats, 18 days. You do the math.

Logistics are somewhat tricky, usually involving a long drive or charter flights.

I would compare total cost to Zimbabwe before putting my deposit down.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej Danny!
For sure - i have been lucky with them myself and have caught several good fish over 50 lbs!(25-30kilos) I made a mistake when I wrote that down the other day...it should have read 70 pounds not kilos! I think the record for the fish I am talking of is actually 60 kilos...but there might be a 70 kilo fish there with your name on it

I hope you have had a good start to the r�djur season so far...I am going out for a couple of hours this evening to see what happens! I got very lucky the other day and got one with three horns!!!

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi BB
Catfish in 70 kilo class is not bad. I haven't yet planed to travel to Zambia. I just heard from som Zambian freinds visiting our town about the hunting over there. I am mainly smal game hunter with the roe deer on the top and want to go for only antilope hunting and of cours fishing!probably i'll gothere past 2006 because for the momment i am realy buisy with the job and family. if i decide to go there i'll certainly ask you.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote