New
Find
Notify
Tools

mod 70 big 5 series
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If anyone else out there is collecting the wincheste mod 70 big 5 series I just picked up the last one Buff in 416 rem.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
I have heard of them but here in Australia I do not think any got here. What are the types/models to collect? Thanks
RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Could you post a picture please ?

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to get a picture of all 5 posted. it may take me awhile cause I'm better with a hammer than one of the compooper things

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not collecting but I have the Lion .375.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the first one, also. Here is the list IIRC:

.375 H&H, Lion: 1999/2000
.458 WinMag, Elephant: 2000/2001
.338 WinMag, Leopard: 2001/2002
.470 Capstick, Rhino: 2002/2003
.416 RemMag, Buffalo: 2003/2004

Sure wish they would have made the last one a .404 Jeffery.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of you think that this set will have a significant collectors value as a intact set?

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I hope so!!! The set with serial #1 sold for $33,000.00 at the 2001 SCI auction. I know that they will bring nowhere close to that ammount however, I don't think half of that is out of the question for a matched set. They made 125 sets, and I know of, or have seen at least a dozen single rifles that have been sold out of sets. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if more than 50-60 complete sets exsist. I love the hell out of that .375, but if I could sell the set and pay for a new .375 H&H plus a Buff and or Leopard hunt, it is history! The old timers told me, "Once the red sands of Africa touch your boots, you will always return." Well they were not lying! I just completed my second safari in May of this year, and I can't wait to return!!

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in cabellas owatonna mn. store monday nite & they have one of the elephant (458 lott) and one rhino (470 capstick) priced at $1995 the elephant came in 458 not 458 lott so that one has had a chambering reamer run into it. better choice than the 458 anyway. If anybody is interested the guy to talk to is bill taylor in the gun library, he is usually in in the afternoon

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Butch,

The .458 Lott is not part of the Big Five series. It was a limited edition run for Cabelas only. They have the same spec's as the B.F. series, but again are not part of it. Here is a link to the Cabelas rifle.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/sidney/winchester/999999_winlott.jhtml

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've collected all five in the series, set #14. Mine are all NIB with papers. I don't think they are worth much more than I've paid for them right now but after about five years...could be a different story. I would sell my set right now for around $11,000 if anyone is interested. Good Hunting.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote