THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Caliber and Bullet Choice For Plains Game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber and Bullet Choice For Plains Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted
I am planning a plains game hunt to SA and would like some opinions on caliber and bullet choice. The largest animals on my wish list are Waterbuck and Gemsbok. I am kinda leaning toward a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, both with Barnes Triple Shock bullets. Am I in the ballpark, or are there better choices out there?

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tembo,

One has to love the planning stages, i received my 30-06 about two or so months ago and couldnt decide. http://forums.accuratereloadin...811061531#6811061531 have a look at the post and some of the feedback from the guys, really helpfull. in the end i settled on 168g PMP ammo for now until i get me sweet spot worked out for Barnes tsx 165gr. had two longish shots on blessbuck and gemsbuck - the 30-06 worked like a charm.

Note Leupold VXII 3-9 x 50 helped a hell of a lot, easy hold over reticles. i also sighet in 2" high at 100m and have no stress about 250m plus shots with the rifle

happy packing, planning and hunting

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh no, you cannot possibly use a mere 30-06 in Africa Smiler Those African critters are made of kevlar!

You need a 469 jeffholley with unobtanium monolithic solids.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tembo,

I think either round will work fine for your intended purpose and the choice of the TSX bullet is a good one. If your shots could be 300 or more yards I think I might opt for the 300 but if not the '06 will serve you nicely. I've used both rounds quite a bit in Africa and North America and never have found them lacking.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tembo

Both calibers will work just fine, choose the one you are the most comfortable with and practice from shooting/field positions (shooting sticks or a bipod). With regard to shooting distances, there is really no need for a 300 yard shot, tell your PH upfront that you do not want to take such long shots, remember at those distances, the margin for error is smaller and you are the one paying for the trophy.

Posts: 25 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 16 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
The venerable 30-06 or any of the fast 300's will do the trick. Use a premium bonded bullet. You won't be over guuned taking a .375 H&H either. Gives you a much larger margin of error. In the end, nothing trumps accuracy.

Enjoy

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You're in the ballpark. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
The two guns I have used on plains game are 7mm Mag. and .300 WM. As for bullet choices use what the gun shoots best. TSX's are good, but so are Sierra game kings and Hornady interbonds for plains game. Use what you are the most confident with. Shot placement trumps everything else. The 30-06 or the 300 WM will do the job. If you can't decide, take both. Be sure to take an extra scope, as that is what screws-up about 90% of the time, not the gun. In 6 plains game hunts I have needed my extra scope twice. I have yet to bring my back-up scope home, someone seems to want it more than me as they have a hard time getting good scopes at a reasonable price............Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tembo:
I am planning a plains game hunt to SA and would like some opinions on caliber and bullet choice. The largest animals on my wish list are Waterbuck and Gemsbok. I am kinda leaning toward a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, both with Barnes Triple Shock bullets. Am I in the ballpark, or are there better choices out there?

I think you have made some good choices. I personally use the 300 Win Mag with Hornady interbonds 165 gr and have taken from steenbok up to eland and kudu.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
30-06 loaded with good bullets on PG in my experience and observation is more than adequate.

A gentleman in our group on our Namibia trip back in '05 used a 30-06 and 180gr. TSX to take down a giraffe and gemsbok.

My son last summer in Namibia used his 30-06 loaded with Federal 165gr. Trophy Bonded Tips, taking various PG, to include a wildebeest and gemsbok with absolutely no trouble (all one shot).

I even used his 30-06 to take my mountain zebra.

30-06 may be "old boring, plain Jane vanilla", but it just flat out continues to work quite well!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have taken two first time hunters to africa and watched them take everything from Zebra and Gemsbok to Warthogs and Springbuck using Federal factory ammo with 150 gr Hotcore Bullets in 7mm-08 and the results were as good a job as my A-Frames. All animals shot were recovered. Bullet placement is everything.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Anything between a .277 and .375 mag shooting bullets with an SD above .26 at or above 2500 fps will be more than adequate for plains game inside of 275 yards.

And if you are thinking of shooting beyond 275 yards off of sticks...I would get closer.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
30-06 loaded with good bullets on PG in my experience and observation is more than adequate.

A gentleman in our group on our Namibia trip back in '05 used a 30-06 and 180gr. TSX to take down a giraffe and gemsbok.

My son last summer in Namibia used his 30-06 loaded with Federal 165gr. Trophy Bonded Tips, taking various PG, to include a wildebeest and gemsbok with absolutely no trouble (all one shot).

I even used his 30-06 to take my mountain zebra.

30-06 may be "old boring, plain Jane vanilla", but it just flat out continues to work quite well!

For the animals you list either of those will do the trick if you do your part. As already ststed, if the area where you are going to hunt is very open, and shots will be long (over 250 yds) I would likely use the 300 Win Mag. Even is an area where the ranges are short if the Giraffe and eland is to be on the minue It would definately be the 300 W M of those two, and the 338 Win Mag, or the 375H&H wouldn't be out of the question. The giraffe for instance is almost twice the size of a Cape buffalo, with a shoulder area that is 4 feet thick from the side.

No matter which you choose, pick a quality heavy for caliber bullet, and practice with it at the ranges you expect to have to shoot!

..........Good luck, and enjoy your safari! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stick with your choice.

They will work perfectly.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your post, Russ. I really like my Jeffholley. Those unobtainium bullets are hard to find, though. Back-ordered at Midway.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Either will do the job nicely. As stated, for longer shots and Eland/Zebra the .300WM does provide an advantage. My choice for ammo is the 180gr. Swift A-Frame over the Barnes. Sighting in 2" high at 100 yards will give you the kill shot out to 250 yards without need for compensation.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are definitely in the ball park. For the animals you mention, either caliber will do the job with good shot placement being the key.

Like many, I heard the tales as to how tough african game is, so I tended to carry enough gun to be sure. I have used Barnes X bullets, but have decided that I like bonded core expanding bullets better. That is just personal preference. On my first two trips to Africa, I used my .300 Weatherby for all plains game. It worked like a charm with 200 grain trophy bonded bullets on the first trip and I used 200 grain Kodiak bonded core bullets on the second. On the third trip, I did not take my rifle with me and used the PH's .308 winchester with factory loaded 180 grain bullets (remington core loct). I took a gemsbok, black wildebeest, and a warthog with that, and two springbucks and a steenbuck with his .223. So far in my experience, which is much more limited than some who post here, African game is just about as tough as similar sized North American game.

The photo below is of some bulets I have recovered from various African and North American game taken.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
06 has killed more stuff than typhoid mary. it's one of the best all around calibers made. pretty of different bullet weights and loads to choose from.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not take both. You're not going to Africa with one rifle.......???

Don't care what the intelligensia say but larger animals deserve higher firepower.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tembo: I would have thought with the handle as "Tembo", that you've been to Africa numerous times. Keep it simple. .30-06---180 GRAINER. You can kill any plainsgame animal in Africa with that hookup. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am kinda leaning toward a 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, both with Barnes Triple Shock bullets. Am I in the ballpark, or are there better choices out there?

Why not ask your PH if they are suitable? Some even spell out their recommendations on their websites. Mine did. That would be your best advise.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SableTrail:
Tembo: I would have thought with the handle as "Tembo", that you've been to Africa numerous times. Keep it simple. .30-06---180 GRAINER. You can kill any plainsgame animal in Africa with that hookup. Good luck on your hunt.

3x- Twice with a bow and once with handguns. This will be my first rifle hunt in Africa.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My kids have shot a ton of plains game with the 06 using 180 Nosler partitions. Never a problem. They have taken a wide variety of species including gemsbuck, wildebeest, eland, kudu, hartebeest, waterbuck and others.

I have shot a fair amount with the 300.

Go for it. Either one works.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went on my plains game hunt in 05 I took a 375H&H and a 416 rem mag. I wanted to see if I could handle the heavy rifles. My wife shot the ph's 06. She shot a zebra and a gembock and they both dropped to the shot. She shot the tsx (gembock) and a partation (zebra). You could not see any diffrence on gemsbock size animals with the 06. The tsx shot through, the partation was found in the off lung. She waited for the perfect broadsided shots. If I were going to take a light do it all rifle it would be a 338/06 or a 338 win mag for anything up to eland. With the tsx's you woould not have to wait for the perfect bradside shoots, if range was to be under 150 yards I would take my 9.3x74 double only because its my fastest on target under 100 yards and on running game (for follow up shots only).

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, to be serious, the 30-06 is inadequate for Blue Wildebeest. Many landowners in RSA will not allow a Wildebeest to be shot with anything less than a 375, and there's a reason for this. Yes I know, you have shot them with a 30-906 (I shot one once with a 250 Savage), but I have also lost one with a 375, lung tissue notwithstanding.

It's also considered too light for Eland. Although I personally think Eland are softer than BWB.

If you are going for these two species and 30-06 is all you have, use 220 grain bullets and shoot broadside or slightly away only.

The notion of one rifle for "plains game" is a silly one anyway, when you consider PG is anything from a dik-dik to an eland. If you must use "one pg rifle", then get a 338 of some kind, like JD says 338-06 is fine but 338 Win Mag is easier to get ammo for; one rifle for all African hunting has to be a 375 H&H.

Can someone make this thread sticky pls?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 3006 will do the job but I would take a bigger caliber.
I prefer .375H&H. African animals are very tough, especially Wildebeest and Oryx.
It's much better to have a strong caliber.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either is fine for your choice of game. I like the Swift A Frames as they seem tough, deep and adequate expanding. The .300 is simply a little flatter shooting. In the end I like the above comments (TIC) from Mike Dettorre - something to hang on the wall.
As commented, take both and use the one you're most accurae with as the primary.

Posts: 71 | Location: southwest | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to keep it under 150 yds, take a .45-70 with 510 gr cast bullets loping along at 1300-1400 fps and it will shoot through any plains game over there. Duplex some black powder loads and that is all you need.

"Aim small, shoot small."
Squeeze the trigger, then go ground check 'em.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
"One Planet, one Rifle!"

However, if you don't really want to buy a new rifle in .375, you need to keep a some things in mind. First, in five safaris, I have never taken a shot at over 125 yards . . . ever! The country is thick and unless you're headed to Namibia, ranges aren't long. Second, IMO, you should keep it simple. Long-for-caliber bullets go in, expand and exit causing mortal damage and leaving a great blood trail if tracking in necessary. That's why the recommendation for the '06 with 180 gr. bullets makes perfect sense. Use them.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally wouldn't take an 06 or 300 Win mag. My choice would be a 300 H & H because that's what I have and don't have an 06 or 300 Winny. Smiler

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Magnolia Slim:
If you are going to keep it under 150 yds, take a .45-70 ... QUOTE]

He must be new here. Cool

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been twice with a 45-110 Sharps, and am going back in October with a 45-70. I don't limit myself to 150 yards, either. Actually, a 45-70 with a 500 grain lead bullet is a very good choice. It will shoot through and through most of the animals over there, certainly any of the plains game.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a .30-06 w/ 180gr. Win. Supreme Elite XP3's and got 3+ ft. penetration on my quartering away greater kudu.

Also, used was the .308 Win. w/ 150gr. Win. Supreme Elite XP3's in an Encore handgun for all of the rest of my plains animals except for the blue wildebeest which was taken with a Ruger .480.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
I've had fantastic success with the Barnes 3x. Pass thru penetration is such that I recovered few bullets but those that I did indicated high weight retention, good sized wound channel with hemorrhage similar to archery wounds plus bone smashing and terminal ballistics (stayed on course) as good as a solid. The peddle/blade expansion does not seem to produce the hydraulic shock that slams small animals to the ground but it also does not damage hide and hair follicles which as a taxidermist I consider nearly as important as the 1 shot kills that the X consistently produces.

Best regards
Mike Ohlmann
Mike's Custom Taxidermy Inc.
4102 Cane Run Rd.
Louisville KY 40216
502-448-1309
Mike@mikescustomtaxidermy.com

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The -06 will be fine. Use a decent 180 grain bullet. Shot placement matters much more than calibre with PG.

If you can shoot straight and know where to aim you'll be fine.

Good luck

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 with 168 to 180gr Barnes xxx will work well.

I personally use that calibre/combination for all my personal hunting, normally the 168gr bullet nowadays, and it is the rifle I loan to clients most often.

Good hunting,

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.30-06 has been a great choice for PG in Africa since before WWI....its even better now, whats not to like? Give 'er!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a Chapuis 9,3x74R in April for Plains Game.
It worked, Caracal, Waterbuck, Gemsbok and Kudu.

The perfect set up might be Holland's pair, 300 and 375 if you are a bolt rifle guy.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote