THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Nimibia / South Africa outfitters

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Nimibia / South Africa outfitters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ran across this page today, might be of some interest.

http://www.namibweb.com/vw.htm

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert,
I agree with you that a buck per kilometer is too high - however, I reckon you should maybe negotiate with your guide for a better rate, even if it comes down to you saying to him how much you are prepared to pay & ask if he is willing to do it for that.
I have been a guide for all of my adult life and I often used to just feel sorry for people that were going through an area I was working in without a guide.
Its a two sided issue really - on the one hand you will get more exposure to the local people travelling by yourself, and in my experience 95% of that is good...what you lose out on though is having somebody who really knows the ropes & is able to point out specific things of interest.

There are plenty of operators in Namibia who will gladly sort you out with a good value for money tour at the end of your hunt and most of the better ones will tailor it to suit your specific interests as far as possible. If you want any help with more information please let me know - I will gladly put you in touch with the company that I usually work with and can provide you with some other names if you need that.

PM me or post again here and I will help out best I can.

Cheers,
Andy

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
What is a fair price for driving a client around after a hunt?

Fuel cost, at least in South Africa, is just about 50% of the actual running cost of a vehicle. So if you offer to double the fuel cost, he is not making any profit on his vehicle use.

Then the guy must be compensated for the time spent with you. Here it all depends if he is also enjoying the trip. For me, I will guide anyone to the Kruger National Park at no cost - my own enjoyment of the park would be enough compensation for me.

Who are you hunting with?

Just my thoughts,

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew

Waldo Van Wyk is the outfitter I am looking to use. He seems to be a honest guy willing to give me the type of hunt I want. He has now quoted me a cost of $1 us per KM. Which personally think is to high. But not knowing the rules & regulations he has to work with and the cost of gas in remote areas, I simply don't know what is fair. I might change my plans and do the touring on my own.

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote