New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much stuff can a Tuff-Pak hold?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was arranging stuff in my tuff-pak this morning, in preparation for my Friday departure for Africa, and was quite impressed with the amount of stuff it could hold.

And, since I'm sure ol' Harry is feeling awefully rheumatic with the rainy and cloudy weather we're having, I thought I'd post a picture and list of all the stuff I put in the tuff-pak, to make him happy.

The three blue roll-top bags hold:

- 4 pairs cotton hunting pants (2 camo)
- 4 'bush' shirts
- 5 pair liner socks
- 4 pair lightweight wool socks
- fleec cap
- wool gloves
- leather gloves (baseball batting gloves)
- 2 long sleeve camo cotton t-shirts
- 1 set polypro long underwear (top and bottom)
- 1 set silk long underwear (top and bottom)
- thigh-length waxed cotton hunting jacket
- power-stretch fleece top
- windshear-lined wool sweater

In addition, there are the following items, not in the bags:

- Remington M700 300 RUM
- Winchester M70 375 H&H
- Asolo hiking boots
- 2 Boyt padded soft gun cases
- 4 boxes ammo (just a test, these will travel in other checked bag)

I'm taking a carry-on with my laptop, cameras, binocs, toiletries, etc, and a second duffle with hunting boots, ammo, and enough room to bring alot of stuff back.

What am I forgetting?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The kitchen sink maybe??
And me!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What am I forgetting?

As far as stuff to put in the TuffPak:
Knife, field rifle cleaning kit, and a set of gun screwdrivers & Allen wrenches to fit screws and nuts on guns and scope mounts.

Don't forget lip balm, sunscreen, and some aloe gel in case of sunburn, windburn, or rashes.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know Mims...we might could fit you in?? Maybe two bottles of Brandy would keep you happy on the flight over?

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
When I packed my Tuff-Pak, I put the boots in the bottom. This is a mistake, at least when returning home through customs, as your boots will need to be disinfected if you've been on a ranch or farm. It is inconvienent to pull everthing out of the Tuff-Pak to get to your boots. On the return trip, think about packing them on top or some other place that is convienent.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's good advise, SBT. I wondered what they did to keep you from bringing Foot and Mouth disease back...

Of course, you have the soil particles in virtually every piece of fabric and pore of your skin...

I'll quarantine all my gear for a time before I do any hunting on my own property.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I put a flashlight, leatherman tool, belt ammo carrier and lens pen inside my boots.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have put five long guns in mine for a road trip.

Flying I usually have two long guns, and all the outerwear.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice thred here. As its been said before Tuff-Pak's are great but your pic showes just how good they are. Perhaps you should copyright the pic, then sell it to Tuff-Pac for a handsome profit, and take me on a 21 elephant for giving you such a great idea.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Travis,
Reading all this reminds me of the time I bought a new Cape Dory Typhoon sailboat. It was only the second one ever sold in the Dallas /Ft. Worth area. I was hot to see what folks did to theirs to make it go fast etc. as I was recoving from my second broken hip (thanks Honda!) and was going to race the boat at my local yacht club upon healing up some. I called the designer, Mr. Carl Alberg, up in Mass. and asked him what all he had on his. His reply was, "A beer and a sandwich!" I about fell out of my chair laughing.
About the only thing you guys have not packed in the Tuffpak is a beer and a sandwich.
Good luck on your hunt. I will be out at my Chimney Hill ranch in San Angelo, Texas when you leave but looking forward to your e mails when I get back in the office.
Oh..broken hip and all I placed 3rd in the first race sailing that Typhoon and first in the second race that day. My pals kidded me as I used my crutch to hold the jib out opposite (so I could go wing on wing) the main on the downwind leg. The boat was so new I did not have a real whisker pole on board.
Damn...eighty rounds ammo...wars were started with less than that!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote