New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Eithiopia
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are you guys opionion of hunting Eithiopia? It seems like Eithiopia has many of the same species that Tanzania has, such as lesser kudu and gazelles, but is it a good hunting destination? Being along the equator, is there any place in that country that it isn't 100 degrees Farenheit all the time? I know there are not a lot of outfitters currently there, but what does the future of hunting this country look like?

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
In a single word, BLEAK. Just read some of Peter Flack's articles in the African Outfitter.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus,

Could you expand on some of the the problems/concerns Flack brought up. The reason I ask is because I've got the impression (from reading others' hunting reports not my own personal experience) that Ethiopia is on the up-swing in terms of hunting opportunities.

I know there are a limited number of operators in Ethiopia but are there political issues with hunting there?

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
PM Rich Elliott who posts here. Rich is the agent for the Roussos organization and probably has more time in Ethiopia than anyone in the U.S. He can give you answers not opinions or hearsay.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

bwanarm is right. Rich Elliot probably is the best source of first hand info on Ethiopia. I can tell you one thing though if the stars align I will be there sometime. Your just not going to get a mountain nyala, Beisa oryx, northern Grants and others anywhere else.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Watch "Big Bore Productions : ETHIOPIA Death In the Rift Valley". Mark Buchanan went through the trouble to put a couple safaris' worth input together on a DVD. As a kid growing up there I had no idea how special the hunting was -- bring your wallet!!!!

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Going to watch that on this trip and hope to be there next year.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ethiopia has some of the most desirable game species, a wonderful landscape and a fascinating culture. .
I'd go in a heartbeat if i could afford it.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2093 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted there a few times and can honestly say that I was impressed with the country and the hunting. There are a few really good operators in Ethiopia and if you book with one of them you will have a great time.
Just do not expect to hunt a Mountain Nyala and the Danakil without traveling a lot. There are some great animals to hunt. Me being a bow hunting PH it was a lot more difficult to get our animals but we have never come back without them.

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Ozultra,
I had the full deal Mt. Nyala/Omo desert (I think) scheduled with Roussos, for actually March this year. I had booked 4 years prior.

When the TF's TRIPLED, I cancelled. It went from kinda-unaffordable to "forgetaboutit". The TF's increased in total by 27K if I remember correctly. The two majors Mt. Nyala went from 5K to 15K and the Meninlik BB went from 2K to 6K.

Maybe someday. who woulda thought Bongo AND LDE in CAR for less than an Ethiopian safari.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozultra:
What are you guys opionion of hunting Eithiopia? It seems like Eithiopia has many of the same species that Tanzania has, such as lesser kudu and gazelles, but is it a good hunting destination? Being along the equator, is there any place in that country that it isn't 100 degrees Farenheit all the time? I know there are not a lot of outfitters currently there, but what does the future of hunting this country look like?

Actually our farthest camp to the south is 500 miles north of the equator. Our concessions are at various elevations. Some are hot and some of the mountain camps are quite cool. When we use to hunt Mt. Nyala in the heather we had a camp at 12,500 ft where snow and sleet were not uncommon. Addis Ababa at 7,700 ft in elevation has a very comfortable climate except it can be a bit cool during the rainy season there. Yes hunting in Ethiopia is pricey with a large part of the cost going to the Government but we do stay busy. By the way Peter Flack has hunted Ethiopia 4 times...the last 3 with us if that tells you anything but then, we have many repeat clients.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that the prices have increased, are we talking expenses in the same range as Tanzania or Zambia?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, pretty much in the same range except only 15 days mandatory for Lesser kudu, Gerenuk, and other East African Plains game. We hunt 40 species in Ethiopia. 18 of these are available on license nowhere else.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Do you mind sending me your pricing information please? Please include plains game only, as well as dangerous game info as well. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't/can't do that on this forum. bewildered
PM sent.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott