New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Leopard import issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Me and a buddy went hunting in Zimbabwe in 2010 and he shot a Leopard. Do to hold ups with the shipping his shipment just got to Dallas a few months ago. His import permit was expired by then but his broker (Coppersmith) never advised him that it was expired, and USFW seized the Leopard.

They said there is an arbitration process he can go through to appeal the seizure. Anyone have any experience or know anyone that could give any advice?

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The only one that I know would be John Jackson, of I believe, Conservation Force, who is an attorney and has had a lot of experience with this. Based upon the facts, it may not be promising for your hunting partner, however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read in the SCI's Safari Times that they are attempting to assist in these cases. Seems that they are popping up quite frequently. Moz is terrible about getting trophies out in a timely manner. It took 18 months just to get a Buffalo trophy back. Can't imagine a CITES animal.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Travis,
I'm afraid your friend has made a MAJOR mistake. NEVER let a Leopard arrive in the states without a valid CITES permit in the hands of your customs broker. Coppersmith should help him with info on who and where to start. He could be in for a great deal of expense and hassle. There are still some Namibia leopards that haven't been released from several years ago just because they tags were metal instead of plastic. I don't want to be to negative, but there is a chance he might not ever see it again.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a problem with Coppersmith and an expired Cites permit. Fortunately it was before the USFWS started their punitive measures and I got it worked out mostly on my own. Never used Coppersmith again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll follow up with SCI and Conservation Force.

Use enough gun...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Travis,
I'm afraid your friend has made a MAJOR mistake. NEVER let a Leopard arrive in the states without a valid CITES permit in the hands of your customs broker. Coppersmith should help him with info on who and where to start. He could be in for a great deal of expense and hassle. There are still some Namibia leopards that haven't been released from several years ago just because they tags were metal instead of plastic. I don't want to be to negative, but there is a chance he might not ever see it again.

Thanks Jerry, I figured here wasn't a lot that could be done, but figured it didn't hurt to ask.

Use enough gun...