Find
Notify
Tools

The Winchester Model 70 Is Back
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I read an article in Peterson's Hunting today by Lee Hoots regarding the return of the Model 70. Should be available later on in 2008. So far, it does not include the heavier calibers, but does include, but is not limited to, some of the more useful calibers for plains game such as the .270, .270WSM, .308, .30-06, .300WSM, .300 Win Mag and the .325WSM. It will come in Super Grade, Featherweight Deluxe, Sporter Deluxe and Extreme Weather Deluxe. They're being made in Columbia, South Carolina by FNH in the same plant and using the same equipment and personnel where FNH builds its rifles and machine guns for the U.S. Military.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well that is GREAT news! I have a check on "alert" status for a 300 Win Super Grade Smiler jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
And lefties in 2010 or thereafter?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun,

Thanks for the heads up! Winchester has already updated their website! Good news.

Check it out:

http://winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/category.asp

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. By the way, add the 7mm-08 and the .338 Win. Mag. to the list of useful new Model 70's as well. ( 7mm-08 available in the Featherweight and the .338 available in the Super Grade)

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Back 25 years or so ago, I worked for the law firm that did lots of legal stuff for the subject plant in Elgin, SC (just out of Columbia). Near there is a technical college (Abbeville) that is VERY happy about Winchester coming to the area. The college offers both technical certificates and associate degrees. I've seen the quality of the students as late as this weekend and if they hire as planned, I think the custom shop stuff will be just fine.

In fact, I left five rifles with the head of the department on Sunday for them to do some customizing (a Husky 9.3x57 to be reamed out to 9.3x62... checkered, etc, a Whitworth .458 to get a three-position safety and be recheckered... an old Santa Barbara Model 98 to be prettied up, etc... a 1909 Argentine to get a drop box for .404.... and old German 9.3x62 to get it to feed flat nosed solids)

I'll be sure to post pictures of the results... I don't think I'll be unhappy and I hope the skills will be appreciated by the new Winchester folks.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Won't be the same as the pre or the classic. It will have a Browning like trigger mechanism instead of the original. Some will like it. Most folks that make dangerous game guns might not like it. Any changes that deviate from the original simplicity of the Model 70 type action will not be as well received IMHO. If I wanted a Browning or Remington trigger I would buy those brands of rifles. Winchester is making a serious mistake.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
+1 with 404 and jetdrvr. It will not be as good of a design.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of us MATURE guys will probably just buy a couple of New Haven rifles. My plan is to take a couple of actions and have a 404 and a 458 Lott cobbled up. These would complement my 375 and 416. Then spend any money available on African tented camp safaris. Seems to me FNH is willing to pay good wages in Belgium to make products for the American market but get offended when paying U.S. workers to make products for the same market. By all accounts the custom shop in New Haven was a money maker.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new rifles may drop the prices on the old rifles.

There are some nice after market triggers.

Stu Satterlee will make you what you exactly want.

If the service department carries parts for older models, you can convert any long action classic to hand 404J or 458 Lott (ouch).

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will now have pre 64 model 70 ,post 64 Connecticut model 70 CRF and now South Carolina model 70.

It should make the older ones or others made in certin places more valuble.

I have a post 64 super grade crf unfired in the box I would consider selling. The wood on it IS AWESOME

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildlife, you didn't mention the cartridge. D

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 Win.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote