THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone ever shot DG with a 458 express?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever shot DG with a 458 express?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Adrian Louwe has just recomended that I buy/make a 458 express as a carry gun. Evidently it has the same stats as a 458 lott 2100 - 2400 fps but only produces 46000 psi as oppossed to 60000 something psi in the lott. You take a 458 win mag by Bruno or CZ to Donnie Joubert in Pretoria and he retools to a longer case and viola... brass is available.

Just wondering if anyone has used/heard of this for DG.

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 450 Dakota / 450 Rigby does the same thing only with greater case capacity, and therefore even less pressure. The 450 Dakota can be made by rebarreling a 416 Rigby. Brass is available by necking up a 416 rigby.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The 450 Dakota / 450 Rigby does the same thing only with greater case capacity, and therefore even less pressure. The 450 Dakota can be made by rebarreling a 416 Rigby. Brass is available by necking up a 416 rigby.

Or you can re-chamber a CZ 550 .458 win mag to a .450 Dakota, like I did. Brass is available straight from Dakota Arms. It is as cheap as the Lott conversion or the 458 express conversion.

I chose it because of the low pressures and versatility. If I want to load it hot like a 460 Wby., I can, If I want velocity of a 458 win mag, I can do that too and anything in between.

I have been pleased.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
When I used a CZ550 for my Lott, the cases with 500 gr. Speer AGS's just barely fit in the magazine box. It worked fine but I don't how know the 3" Express with a 0.15 inch longer case would fit in that box, without modifications.

I tried to get some 3 " cases from SA (PMP?) and it was like talkng to a black hole. Of course, if you are in SA it is probably not such a mystery.

You can get 2300 fps with the Lott but a 3" Express would just be less powder compression. Not sure how much difference there would be in pressure. Never have seen any real data, just talk.

You can get higher velocities with a Dakota at the expense of significantly more expensive cases, more recoil (greater brutality??), and less magazine capcity.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
As I recall, Barnard got his reamer from Clymer, so reamers shouldn't be an issue.

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Isn't that the article from African Hunter, or Magnum? I forget which. Opps, Koos Badenhorst, not Koos Barnard.

Oh well, all them Afrikanners look alike.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh geez! Now the 458 Lott has dangerously compressed high pressure loads! Those Suid Afrikaaners need some new powders. My sympathies.

And not even the 458 Express can tolerate the long bearing surface of the 500 grain Barnes X?

Such spin makes me dizzy. However, the 450 grain monometals are an excellent idea in any 458.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone,

I believe that the 458 express sounds like a reasonable and inexpensive option. I am going out to Classic Arms in Witbank today to look at some guns in other calibres and have put the word out. If I could get a bargain in the 500 Jeffrey, 458 Lott or 505 Gibbs I might do it anyway out of sheer "I don't know what", but the express sounds good. I just wonder about not being able to use the 500g fmj?????

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote