THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hearing Enhancement / Protection Ear Plugs

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing Enhancement / Protection Ear Plugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been thinking about buying a pair of the custom fit ear plugs for hearing protection and enhancement. I saw the SportEar people at the Dallas and Houston shows but I didn't buy anything.

Does anyone have a brand they recommend and how do they perform in the field? I have hunted with regular earphones (ProEar). On windy days they can be a real pain.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
eply

You could PM Hog Killer for info. He works with one of the brands.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
My personnal experience with the custom fitted ear protection was not great. As you said on windy days they are a pain. There also is some hissing if they are not perfectly fitted into ears. I bought mine at a hunting show in Houston a few years back and had them molded to my ear. I took them to Zim in 2007 and only used them for one day. The mopane bees buzzing around my head nearly drove me insane since the sound was amplified. If I were to do it again, I would just buy the push in plugs that you can get at any sporting goods store and save yourself the 1000.00 bucks. Just my .02 cents.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
My one friend hunts with his peltor earmuffs he hears better in the veld that when you talk to him normally it works for him LOL

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went for the Sportear test at SHOT show, and was considering ordering my set till ..

At Reno, when the announcement was made on the banning of the Wolf by Pres Obama, the Blond Lady that did my testing went happy witht the announcement and consequintly added that she wished all hunting was banned and that she hated all those poor animals on the walls staring at her @!@##!@!#$

So I walked away, and will not support them any further

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Walter

Are you serious? And despite that selling their stuff to hunters ...

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walter - Someone at Sportear should be informed of this ASAP. A Company Rep reacting in this manner while attending and working with the hunting/shooting public is terrible. If this is indeed the "Company's" way of thinking then it's time to make it known to all so we can find a more supporting place to make our purchases for this type of product. WOW!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Kwan:
I went for the Sportear test at SHOT show, and was considering ordering my set till ..

At Reno, when the announcement was made on the banning of the Wolf by Pres Obama, the Blond Lady that did my testing went happy witht the announcement and consequintly added that she wished all hunting was banned and that she hated all those poor animals on the walls staring at her @!@##!@!#$

So I walked away, and will not support them any further

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
In the for what is worth column -- I purchased a pair of the expensive Sportears last year at Reno -- in a word they were not worth a dam!-- sent them back and had a heck of a time getting my $ back -- beware!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used EAR for years and enjoyed them. it was true for me as well when the Mopane flies buzzed. i just turned them off when around the flies. When walking after Ele i kept them on.

These people are pro-hunter. Ask for Hollyn or Hettie.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I just bought a pair of the mini-canals from Hollyn at the EAR booth in Reno. Hollyn was very helpful and the price was right, as it was at the very end of the show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a pair at the Reno show from EAR Inc. I just received them this week and so far so good. I realize I haven't hunted with them yet but I sure am hearing things I haven't heard in years. I wish I would have taken hearing protection more seriously years ago.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Been using the waterproof EAR, Inc. units with custom molded ear pieces for a number of years. I'm a big fan. Use to wear custom mold plugs to protect what hearing I still have, but couldn't hear whispers from the PH nor hear the animals. Now everything is as I remember it when I was younger. I give these the highest recommendation.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a professional competition shooter and avid hunter - I can recommend Electronic Shooter Protection (www.espamerica.com) as the best of many that I have tried.

You need to get a good set of molds done for your ears, then send those to Jack for making into your custom amplified units.

I spend a huge amount of time around gunfire and rate these as a must have item. They allow me to talk with a student, reporter or others while not being blasted by others firing.

I have tried many other units and have had wind noise, electronic shorting, whistling and other problems that made all others not worth the bother.

Some of the electronic muffs work well, but will cause you to sweat in all but cold weather (shorting out the electronics quickly)

Electronic Shooter Protection is owned by a hunter and shooter who understands our needs and desires - not someone looking for a quick buck.

MV

Watch the impact!
Mike

Posts: 29 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of RADIANS PRO-AMP ear muffs because I can't hear the range master's instruction with regular ear protection on. They work fine for that,but they do have drawbacks. Wind, and in cold weather a hooded coat is a pain. They work good in a blind however.

Paul Keller, in the hunting film, "Kings of KILOMBERO" uses a pair of what looks to be a pair of Game-Ear plugs with the reciever behind the ear, and the foam plug in the ear. He uses them in Africa, so he can hear buffalo moveing through the long grass, or cats on bait in a blind. They seem to work for him, and I've been thinking of buying a pair for that same purpose, and still giveing some hearing protection at the same time.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote