New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Five to the Dirty Dozen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
No doubt the Big 5 of Africa has its deserved share of attetion.

But if the list were expanded to include animals from around the world, what animals would such a list include in addition to the big 5?

I came up with a "World's Dirty Dozen". In no particular order:

1. Elephant
2. Cape buffalo
3. Lion
4. Leopard
5. Rhino

These were pretty easy. Now for the rest:

6. Hippo. From what I have read, hippos kill more Africans every year than any other mammal.

7. Tiger. A cat the size of a lion that fights like a leopard.

8. Polar Bear. They have little to no fear of man, and to them anything that moves is edible. A 10 foot land shark.

9. Grizzly Bear (or brown bear). Teeth, claws, strength and speed coupled with no sense of humor.

10. Jaguar. At a weight approaching 300 pounds, it is a leopard on steroids.

11. Gaur. Big and bad, with acape buffao personality.

12. If aurochs were still around in the wild, they would complete the list. Over a ton of long horned meaness standing from 6 to 8 feet at the shoulder. But they aren't.

Therefore, I would go with the plains bison. An exceptional bull can tip the scales at 3000 pounds and stand 6 feet high at the shoulder. And they will attack man. I went with the plans bison over the banteng and water buffalo based on the fact that I am unaware of any instance where anyone has ever domesticated a plains bison.

Since the world is a much smaller place than it was 100 years ago, maybe it's time we expanded the list of dangerous trophy game. And we all needan excuse to expand our horizons.

Of course, at the present time, tigers and jaguar cannot be hunted. While tiger hunting in India will probably not happen in our lifetimes, China is making noises about allowing a few hunts a year. As for the jaguar, it is anyone's guess.

Let the debate begin.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which animal is responsible for the most deaths and serious injuries of PHs/Guides/Hunters in an indirect manner? Not from direct confrontations with an animal, but killed or injured just trying to find and retrieve them. I am talking about heat exhaustion, hypothermia, falls, plane crashes, etc. I got to believe it might be some of the sheep species. A few of those should be on the expanded most dangerous list.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You left Croc off of your list. I'm sure you'd want to add it. After all, they eat approximately 10 people every day across the African Continent.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Therefore, I would go with the plains bison. An exceptional bull can tip the scales at 3000 pounds and stand 6 feet high at the shoulder. And they will attack man. I went with the plans bison over the banteng and water buffalo based on the fact that I am unaware of any instance where anyone has ever domesticated a plains bison.

How many people die from plains bison attacks?

As for domestication, the bison in small parks are next to domesticated anyway. 98% of Indian elephant are domesticated. There are domesticated African elephant from Hannibal to modern safari elephant 'rides'.

Water buffalo are also bigger and heavier than plains bison. Water buffalo while domesticated are also found wild in India.

Water buffalo and Banteng definitely before bison on any subjective list.

Saltwater crocodile and Nile crocodile also further up the list.

Bushbuck would also be up there.

(edited)

PS European bison are also reported to be heavier than plains bison. Don't know, never weighed one. Wink

JMOs

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I agree with Nitrox, i personally would rather hunt water buff or banteng before I would like to shoot a bison. (mind you, I would rather hunt another Cape buff cow than a bison. They are just not high on my wishlist.)

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the "plains bison" a special subspecies? If not I can take you to a Bison farm (in Pa not refered to as ranch) 12 miles from where I am typing now.

Why not add the Whitetail deer? How many people are killed as a result of auto accidents caused by whitetail on the highway or hunters traveling to camp haveing auto accidents or hunters having heart attacks while hunting them. stir hammering

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I'm still young enough (26) that I can dream of being able to hunt tigers someday (I found a book asa child called "hunting tigers in the Maylay," or something to that effect, which was really cool -- but I can't remember why, I just know I just want to hunt tigers.

My brother suggested adding sperm whales to the list, provided you do it in true Moby Dick style, with hand-thrown harpoons from a oared boat.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiger and Jag have always been trophy animals of the first order. Sadly neither are hunted now due to declining numbers.

Interestingly the Jag historically ranged into southern Az and are sometimes sighted there even now.

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall that the late Jeff Cooper alwas thought that te Leopard Seal should be on any such list. And after reading a little about it I would have to agree.

Nitrox. Good points. I did not think of this before but there is a big difference in ters of risk - the bison is usually found in fairly open country, whereas your down under nasties are found in tough places. Tough to hunt but even tougher to escape from an angry beast.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Black Bear kill more people each year than all the other bears combined.

Also, I'd put moose before bison.

And yes, Cooper thought the leopard seal is woefully underated.

Aglifter, my childhood fascination was with musk ox. I saw an old black&white movie as a kid where some guy stumbled on a herd and came under attack. I now know they are not particularly agressive but I'd still like to hunt them just to feed my inner child.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
musk ox can be agressive if you come to close to them, so please dont wander to close...

What about the Waterbuffalo that weigh ca 1300 kg, and the ifamous /famous Marajò Red Island Water buffalo, that is also very fierce

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The biggest killer in Africa is the mosquito.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted
If we're going to go that route, maybe we should list the bacteria responsible for dysentery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Black Bear kill more people each year than all the other bears combined.

ummm thats very very wrong, dont know where you get your info but very wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although a reptile, a 15" crocodile is a killing machine! Should be on the list somewhere.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Although a reptile, a 15" crocodile is a killing machine! Should be on the list somewhere.

really? what's it going to do, bite a toe? perhaps a 15' alligator would be a bit more formidable... Smiler

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted
Pauly, I have read that claim regarding black bears in many publications. Most recently, yesterday in an article written by Dick Metcalf in Petersen's Hunting, November 2006. I've also seen statistics supporting that statement. Much of the reason lies in the large population of black bears in populated areas -- much more human contact than the other species of bear.

http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/pdf/Bear_Attacks.pdf