Find
Notify
Tools

Reno Meeting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
Good to see you guys again this year. Gets bigger and bigger every year (AR meeting too).

As I mentioned below, got my elephant hunt in Chewore booked up, and was very impressed with the taxidermy this year. It's always good, but I thought it was especially good this year.

I also enjoyed all the sculptures and artifacts. I guess after you've been there a few times, the outfitter booths all look the same and I already knew where I was going, so I had more time to enjoy the other booths that I usually skip, and of course hook up with old friends and PH's. Don Heath was not hard to spot in his flourescent Team Zimbabwe shirt!

I thought is was unusual that the US Army had such a huge presence there. I mean, I would think that most of the SCI members are already more to the right, and the demographics is not right for recruiting? I don't know, it just seemed peculiar.

Of course I got my latest issue of African Hunter the day before i left and had it read cover to cover that night. Really had me revved up for the show!

Anybody catch that teaser for the new lion charge video coming out later this year? Whoa, that is some of the most impressive shooting and display of nerves I have ever seen! I believe the camera was being held by a woman who also proved to stay pretty cool under the circumstances as she was close enough to have almost been part of it!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Not taking about the Mark Sullivan videos are you?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Not taking about the Mark Sullivan videos are you?

Hell no. There was also a new vendor there showing a teaser of a lion hunt, and this BIG black maned monster is in a full blown charge , and the PH nails it with his double rifle and it knocks him down. He just calmly gets up and shakes the clients hand and say’s “Nice job, good lion.†Then the camera cuts away. They replay it in slow motion and you actually see the two bullets hit him square in the forehead. Lights out.

The PH’s were just staring at each other in awe and we all wanted to buy it, but it’s not ready yet. Next year.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
There were actually two different videos of lion charges resulting in a flattened PH – one was at one of the video sales counters the other which I think you are refereeing to was at a guide/outfitter booth -- if that is the one -- they told me that lion had been shot the day before in the leg -- they let him alone overnight and went in to finish the job -- the results were quite exciting to say the least.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
N'gagi.
Going to Chewore north or south?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Chewore North, Big Five camp, with Ian Gibson and Mike Payne.

Mark Jackson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Good luck with your hunt this year. You will have a blast with Mike & Ian.

Have gun bags if you know anyone wanting these.

Muvhimi

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I was told Mike might be on holiday this year, so if you are who I think you are, I requested you or Kevin DuBoil if available.

If you ARE who I think you are, I'll just hope I can keep up! I remember your last client in camp saying he had to take two steps to each of yours. Are you still in the states? I'd like one of the ones that sold out last year.

Cheers...

Mark Jackson

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Mark - it is amazing how chatty you and Shumba get after you book a hunt! Big Grin

Reg the mystery poster, don't tell anybody, but his first name starts with an "A" and ends in "ndy", and his last name is the second word in the term "Professional Hunter".

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Mark - it is amazing how chatty you and Shumba get after you book a hunt! Big Grin

Reg the mystery poster, don't tell anybody, but his first name starts with an "A" and ends in "ndy", and his last name is the second word in the term "Professional Hunter".

Yeah, sorry about that Bill. We already filled up each others voice mail and e-mail so this was the only way left to communicate!

I wasn't sure if Muvhimi wanted to be outed, so I was using code he'd understand. I think Muvhimi must mean "Long Legs" or something of that nature. I'm 6'7", but have normal legs. He's a walking machine.

Mark Jackson

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Don't be sorry man I think it is great! Much more fun around here once the season starts.

Smiler

PS - Anyway, I am looking fwd to that new-you signature picture!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mark, won't see you in Harare...Sorry...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That one lion charge was in the booth of Johan Calitz, Calitz was in on the final act. Four or five guns spread out in a semi-circle, and the lion came. Initial shots didn't seem to do much, and the hunter or PH the lion had singled out waited till the last moment to put one right between the eyes. The lion landed in his lap.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
By happenstance, I was at the Claim Jumper restaurant when the dinner was going on. The wait for a table was obscene! Who was there from AR? I should have come by and at least tried to attach a name to a face.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote