Notify
Tools

Farmer kills lepard wih bare hands.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
Saw a blurb in Outdoor Life about this;

73 year old Kenyan farmer named Daniel M'Mburugu was tending his crops when a leopard pounced on him. He had a machete in his hand at the time. He dropped the machete and stuck his hand in the leopards mouth, ripping out his tongue. Leopard discontinued the attack and lay writhing on the ground. A neighbor heard the commotion and came over. The neighbor finished the cat off with a machete.

pg 16 of Nov 2005 Outdoor life.

Now that guy is one bad grandpa. Eeker

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better not back talk that guy. He is tough on the tongue.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
The ripping out of the tongue is not what did the damage. The ripped off hand and arm down the leopards throat was what was choking it.

(only joking)

Man, this man had some guts, though I am sure he did not come off un-scathed. Hopefully his guts are still all where they should be too.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the guy developed a grip strong enough to rip out a leopard's tongue.

Probably not from sitting at a keyboard.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I'm sure a combination of lifelong handwork and a big dose of adrenaline like this would give a guy the strength to shape lead in his grip!!

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it. There must have been something seriously wrong with the leopard in the first place.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mikelravy, don't judge too quickly. If you have been around these people at all you would be surprised at the things they tackle. Our one tracker would walk for miles to his home thru Lion country only armed with only a Batonga axe.....Bob

Posts: 94 | Location: S.E Pa | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a logger a few years back in North America killing a mountain lion with his folding pocket knife.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Watching craig Boddington's Leopard hunting video last night really put this into perspective. Gutsy man indeed.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's been a few recorded instances over the years of people killing Leopards with their bare hands.

I seem to remember PHC wrote about one instance.

Was it JA Hunter who wrote about killing one with his bare hands?

A miner strangled one a few years ago in (I think) Zambia.

Also an African guy killed one with a screwdriver a few years ago in the KNP when it dropped into the truck and attacked all the guys in the back...

.... and of course Kim Woluters grandfather who killed a Lion with his pocket knife in the Kruger Park RSA....... I seem to remember the knife is on display in the museum at Skukuza camp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTG

From what I can remember the man was retired and went for a walk in the evening. He lived on Vancouver Island. He ended up getting caught in the rain so he found an overhanging bank to stand under. The mountain lion jumped him while he was standing under this bank. Long story short he was able to get his folding pocket knife out and teach it a lesson. I remember thinking, when I was reading the article, his knife wasn't much bigger than the one I carry ..... about a 3 inch blade.

I guess it worked but I think I would rather have one a bit bigger Smiler

Ian

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my perspective, better him than me. I much prefer a rifle.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote