Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Zambia...Gunlaws?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Folks!

My wife, two boys and I , are going to Zambia for a a small building project for a 3 months period. It will be me and my services that are required..however I am sure I could find some time of leisure for a little sport archer.
I know I will have to have a letter of invitation ofcouse to bring a rifle into Zambia, but I am not going to hunt for 3 months, maybe just for a week at the most.
If I book myself on some simple plainsgame hunt for like 2-3 days, would that be suffient enough? Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jens,

Go directly to the source. Ask Laura Du Plooy of Muchinga Adaventures in Zambia. She can help you. johndp@zamnet.zm They are long time safari operators and will answer all your questions.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark!

merry Christmas Smiler

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hi jens

Unless the regs have changed since the end of last season, these were the applicable rules.

All outfitters (whom want to get import permits for their clients) to bring hunting rifles into Zambia FIRST need to be BONA FIDE (specially registered) with the (Police authorities in Lusaka) before they can legally apply for an import permits on their clients behalf.

Outfitters whom are NOT registered with the Police need to go through a (Registersd/Approved Outfitter)

To get registered with the Police an Outfitter need to apply and/or get permission from ZAWA FIRST

I dont believe that clients can ever apply themselves for a permit, they must go through one of the (approved police registered outfitters) and these permits need to be obtained in advance of the clients arrival at the point of entry into Zambia.

We (Balla-Balla Safaris) normally have either our own private (charter pilot and/or another representitive) meet the arriving client (with the pre arranged approved import permit in hand)

Also the customs authorities normally charge the arriving client $1 per round of ammunition which they bring in. I think the imports permits are valid for 3-6 months if I am correct

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Peter!
I`ll grow wiser here.. Wink

Merry christmas Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens,
give me a shout when you are here and i can let you into a game ranch hunt only plainsgame and if you dont want to go through the hassle I can always lend you one of mine. please take note that I am not an outfitter but just a normal civilian here. I am presuming you are in possesion of a work permit to come for the project, So technically and legally you are a resident there are provisions for a temporary resident to bring personal effects that include firearms but you still have to through the police etc.e-mail if you need more info

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you avoid the hassle and rent a rifle from the outfitter that you book with?

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
While everyone has there own feeling about hunting, but if I can't hunt with my own firearems, it ain't going to happen.

Firearm selection and loading the ammunition for particular situations, are all part of the hunt.

But then again, thats just me Cool

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote