New
Find
Notify
Tools

One Rifle for DG and PG??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If your were going to Africa for Buff,Leopard and PG. and only wanted to carry one rifle, what would your best choice be.

Posts: 209 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've taken that very hunt, and my personal choice was the .375H&H. However, I had a .30-06 for the lighter game, as I would NEVER risk a multi-thousand dollar hunt by bringing just one rifle.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
375 ________ or 416 _________, pick the variety of each you like.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) .375 H&H
2) 9.3x62

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hutnjim

A 375 of some kind would easily fill the bill and in fact probably be ideal but as George said don't even consider taking only one rifle.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did Buffalo and plainsgame with a 375 H&H and a 30-06. They worked for me, should work for you.

If I did it again I would probably take a 416 Rigby or a 470 NE for the Buff and a 375 H&H for the rest. Not because I'm unhappy with the 375 , but because I inherited the 416 and 470 and would love the chance to use them properly.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since buffalo is involved I'd take a 416 something, probably remington mag.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always have to laugh at the cautions to never risk a hunt by taking only one rifle. Everyone shoots the beejeezus out of their weapons, and if the problem was to occur, it would most likely be at home. Same with quality scopes. I know 3 people who had problems on their safari's with firearms, but it was not because of mechanical malfunction. It was the fact that the guns never arrived when they did, and they were both in one case! The safe bet is to make sure that your PH has a reliable backup rifle available in camp that you can use or rent, if problems arise. Make sure there is ammo also, hopefully matching what you brought; my hunting partner used a borrowed 338 WinMag, and the PH doled out ammo one at a time. Frowner

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George do you normally take two separate gun cases one for each rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done exactly that. Took a 375 H&H and a 465 H&H. Shot one buff with the 465 but really didn't need it. The 375 would have easily killed that buff as it did the other two.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:
George do you normally take two separate gun cases one for each rifle?

No, I use one gun case with two rifles (each in its own soft case) packed inside. My knife and multi-tool go in it as well.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it where my hunt and I had to take one rifle I would opt for the .416 Rigby..................probably would take to two scopes in QD's one a 2-7 the other a 2.5x compact. Load would be woodleigh 410 gr softs and solids.

Hopefully one day I will have this "choice dilemma"

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to take 2 rifles when going on any hunt. I have never had a rifle breakdown, but you never know. I would prefer to have one of my own rifles as a back up. If taking say a 375 for buff and other big plains game with say a 30-06 for back up and for lesser plains game I would take a few solids for the "small" rifle for use on buff just in case.
It never hurts to Be Prepared.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
375H&H, 9.3X64BR or 9.3x62

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I beleive I am hearing more for two guns instead of one. If going into Tanzina or Zimbabwe I understand there is limitations on amo. How many lbs or rounds are allowed for each rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holland & Holland's 375

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
.416 Rigby is the do it all caliber. Then again, with a PH backing you up you don't need to do it all. Huntnjm, airlines limit ammo to 5 kg. Weight rather than numbers.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9,3x70 Expert Magnum!

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
only one choice here..378 weatherby.

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKA, how is the recoil on the 378 compaired to the RUM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, Are you comfortable at 250 yards on PG with the 416 Rigby. BTW I prefer any one with me in a hunting situation not to shoot follow up shots unless absolutely necessary on my animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old three seven five would be my choice for a single rifle. A two-rifle battery would be 10.75x73, and 8x68S.

Posts: 49 | Location: California | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
No doubt about it, and like GeorgeS I've done that hunt as well. .375 H&H and the .30-06 were my choices. One rifle is never enough!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were to opt to bring two rifles I would think the DG rifle would be in the 40 caliber range. I like the 416 Rigby for buff but if I were to return someday for the long tusk would I be undergunned??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 40 cal 400 grain bullet at @2150 is a good elephant gun, solids of course.
So I do not think you would be undergunned with a 416 Rigby.
I must add that I think a double is the best choice for elephant and buff, but that is strictly a personal thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE450No2 What would be your longest shot with your double you would be comfortable taking on buff?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could flip up my 200 yard leaf, go to a kneeling position and hit a buff in the vital area. My double shoots to the flip up sight at 200 yards.... but I probably not would not take such a shot at an unwounded buff. For me the thrill of buff hunting is to get close.
I did shoot one of my elephants at 120 yards.
He was just about to step out of sight, first shot low in the chest, second shot broke front leg. He spun around and came for us. He went a body length or two fell down. When he got back up I had closed to with in 50 to 60 yards and I brained him.
I can shoot my iron sighted double as good as I can shoot an iron sighted bolt. I can shoot my scope sighted 9,3x74R double on game as good as I can shoot my scope sighted 375.

I have killed deer to 85 yards with my 450 No2.
I have killed caribou in Alaska at 85 yards and 150 yards with my 450/400 double [iron sights].
I have killed a coyote at 271 yards and a kudu at a little over 300 yards with my scoped 9,3x74R.

I have also killed buff at 12 and @30 yards, elephants at 6 yards and 12 yards with the 450 No2, now THAT is where the fun is. Big Grin

If you have a good 375 bolt rifle, think about getting a good 450/400 double, or even a 470 if you can take the additional recoil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
huntinjim
I have been using doubles for quite a bit of my hunting for the last 9 years or so. For everything from deer and pigs to caribou and black bear, I took 2 doubles to Africa, Zim in 2004 and I am taking the same 2 back to Zim Feb 26th for a 30 day hunt.[The 450 No2 and the 9,3x74R].
Baised on all the hunting I have done with my doubles I would recommend that a person considering a double take a hard look at a 450/400, either a British gun or a new made one. If I bought a new made 450/400 I would definately have Quick Detach scpoe mounts fited.
In fact I am considering having a scope fitted to my British 450/400, or buying a Chapuis 450/400 from Evolution USA.
I have handled several large bore doubles [400 and up] with scopes mounted properly, low over the bbls and they are just as fast as any bolt rifle to pick up the crosshairs. A 450/400 double with a scope in QD mounts would be one of the best rifles for a sport hunter.
Not just for Africa either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly I think any of the 375 + rifles will work nicely for a one gun trip. The limiting factor is simply how well and how much you shoot it prior to the trip. The choice is very personal. what gun do you like the most. What gun do you want to make into a very very special gun by being able to say. "that's the rifle I took to africa" If you are willing to pass on shots past 200 yrds for the plains game a scoped double in 450/400 is just grand. I've used mine on zebra's impala baboons and what not. The down side is that if you get there and your ammo doesn't you will have a problem.

Another simpler and infinity cheaper route is a good bold gun in 458 winchester mag. It works great on hogs deer P.G. and all the big stuff. If you get seperated from your ammo in flight just about every PH has a bunch of it from previous hunts. just MHO.

ES

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huntinjim, I think the 375 is a bit light for buff. I've done buff and PG with a 416, but next hunt, I'm thinking 458 WM for both. 400 gr TBBC's for PG, shoots flatter and with more MV in 458 WM than 400 gr TBBC's out of my 416 Rigby and I'll be using 500 gr. AGS's for buff.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just finished re-reading Tony Sanchez Arino and along with him, a myriad of other PHs and for them, the client is best served with a 375 of any flavor. I stand by that recommendation. With one of the 375, you can comfortably reach out to 350 plus, whereas all the doubles, and even the 416, would not have the required trajectory to make a well-reasoned shot. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AKA, how is the recoil on the 378 compaired to the RUM.
..I have never shot the 375 RUM. Just the 375. I hope to one day

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Years ago I used to take two rifles for my hunts. A 270 or 7mm for plains game, and a 375 or a 416 for buffalo and elephants.

First day on one hunt, I kept missing easy shots with my 7mm rifle. We discovered that the action screws were loose. We did not have an Alen key to tighten the action, so I just used my 375/404 to shoot the impala bait we wanted for leopard.

4 shots brought us 4 impala, at ranges from about 50 yards to over 400 yards.

After that little episode, I decided not to take a small caliber rifle on hunts where buffalo are on the menu.

Ever since then, I have taken two identical rifles, both 375/404 we built ourselves. I use one, and my hunting friends use the otherThese two rifles have been on 11 hunts. And everyone who uses them falls in love with them.

Even people who would normally hunt plains game, seem to want to build one just like these.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
9.3x62, 9.3x64 or .375H&H (or anything remotely simmelar) more than enough. Most hunters are overgunned anyhow, and cannot use a rifle bigger than a .416 anyhow...... Cool

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
No brainer IMO, a .375 H&H.

I took just my .375 on a cape buffalo and plains game safari last trip.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a big time consensus here, everyone says .375 H&H and so do I.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I took my .404j to Moz. & a short trip to RSA in 04. I shot my buff. bushbuck, waterbuck & camp meat. I don't feel really comfortable much past 200yds w/ a 380grNF @ 2200fps. Trajectory gets prett parabolic after that. If I ever get some of Mikes 340grNF, then I can get a good 2600fps load & maybe feel better out to 300yds or so. Having said all that, it would be hard to beat a .375h&h for the couple of shots you take @ a buff. then a dozen or so @ PG, the .375 is hard to beat for sure.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your were going to Africa for Buff,Leopard and PG. and only wanted to carry one rifle, what would your best choice be.

9.3 x 62 or 375 H&H

Mauser action

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See as how I doubt the PH or anyone else has a left-handed anything with a 12 1/4" LOP, I am opting to take a .375H&H and a .300WinMag of my very own with back-up scopes. I may lose them both in transit and if so, that is just that, but to only take one just doesn't make sense to me. JMO

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote