Find
Notify
Tools

Zim PH - Andy Travella's accident
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill 5248
posted
I am interested to know if other people have any confirmation of this report, or more information on it. I know Mr. Andy Travella from previous elephant hunting with him in Western Zimbabwe. He's a P.H. and a super-nice guy who works hard for the guest hunter.

He had a really unfortunate encounter with an elephant about a year or more ago. Some photographic clients died as a result, and Andy himself had to go to hospital for a long time. He has since left the field of professional hunting. Since then I have heard bits and pieces of the story, for example the bull in musth ran down the mother and daughter, killing them. The father survived, and Andy himself was knocked senseless by the elephant. The other aspect that was most painful to hear comes from his ex-outfitter, Mr. Ian Harmer in Bulawayo. He states that there was also a gun accident involved. Does this sound accurate to others who are knowledgeable? Thanks for the feedback.

That which is not impossible is compulsory

Posts: 161 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill- Firstly- there was a complete investigation by both parks, Police forensics (Supt D.C Haley) and the association.

NO Blame was attached to Andy. There was certainly no firearms "accident". Andy fired one shot as he went down under the elephant.

His PH license was not withdrawn or suspended.

Two clients were killed, a 10 year old girl and her mother. Andy has taken this very hard and blames himself. The surviving client- the father, intitially made a statement absolving Andy from any blame- Subsiquently in the UK newspapers his "safari from hell" story painted Andy in a very poor light - I would have said slanderously so, but considering the poor man lost his wife and only child...one can understand grief and remourse can cloud matters.

This is actually a couple of years old, and as always, the story has evolved....

Looking at my notes from the initial investigation what happened went something like this.

Andy and the three clients were taking photo's of a lone bull when he caught their scent and became agressive. They backed off behind a large ant heap as the elephant kept making short rushes in their direction.

Andy told the clients to head back to the truck whilst he stood guard behind the ant heap with the intention of shooting the elephant if it came round either side and continued its attack.

Unfortunately the elephant came straight over the ant heap. Andy fired a shot as he went down and was knocked unconcious. The elephant didn't stop and charged the clients, killing the little girl. It then chased the father a short distance before turning back to where the mother had stopped (think she was going back to her daughter) and killed her. He then pushed off.

The father then accertained that both his wife and daughter were dead and that Andy was still alive although quite badly concussed, loaded Andy into the truck and drove him back to the camp to get help.

Andy's rifle had been smashed by the elephant, and a young, wounded bull was later shot by parks. Unffortunatly they didn't submit a bullet or accurate details of the wound.

It is actually easier when hunting- you know you are going to kill something. When you are on a bunny hugger photo safari the last thing you want to do is shoot an elephant- you tend to leave things too long. I wasn't there, I have made mistakes also. I cannot attach blame

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
A tragedy non the less regardless of blame.

Your comment about leaving things too late is especially poignant given that in a hunting camp this may never have been allowwed to go so far.

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is quite a tragedy. I hope that Andy will come right with this at some point. I agree that it is much harder to make a decision like that when you are under pressure not to shoot.
If he would have killed the elephant the papers back in cheery old England would have accused him of murder not to mention the clients. I wouldn't want to be a tour guide in dangerous game country.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Andy still PH's. He was PHing last August, with fellow PH David Amoyot, when I was in Zimbabwe hunting leopard with PH John Hunt. He free-lances with PH John Hunt occasionally. My wife got to meet him and David while I was out with John on the monster leopard. Both John and David speak very highly of Andy.