THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Holland & Holland 500/465 Double Rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holland & Holland 500/465 Double Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted
Gentlemen,

I have a mate (non PC user) who knows of a H&H 500/465 Royal Sidelock ejector for sale. I have not seen the rifle.

The rifling is worn, and the timber has seen better days hence the asking price of $4,000.
My mate's plan is to buy it (of course), restock, and take a view on the barrels. Boddington writes that the 500/465 is a good cartridge. If it shoots as a 500/465 fine, if not get it bored out in 470 NE.

Does anyone know if this can be done? ie is it possible to change 500/465 chambers into 470 Nitro Express?

Thanks for the advice.

DD

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Butch Searcy>
posted
Call Cliff LabOUNTY AT 360-599-2047 he is the expert that even the English big boys use for reboring of double rifle barrels. He is doing three for me know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,
It's hard to appraise a rifle over the internet, but if the gun can be restored (not replaced) then $4000.00 is cheap,cheap!!Figure another $5000. in restoration and you still gotta deal, if it returned to like new.
Probably $25,000.00 or a whole lot more.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Deerdogs,

You might check with JJ Parodeau at Champlin Firearms in Enid Oklahoma. He or George Caswell can give you some insight on the rifle.
here is a link
http://champlinarms.com/

------------------
Rusty

We band of brothers!

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 06-21-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Guys.

It now turns out the rifle is not a Royal but is a Dominion back action, I should have photo of it soon. I'll email it to you chaps.

DD

<Mads>
posted
Well a Dominio Back action should be cheaper than a Royal. But why on earth do you/he plan to conwert it to a .470 NE?

The 500/465 NE is the original H&H caliber and a very good one to!

Best Regards

Mads

one of us
posted Hide Post
A word of warning, You might just be better off buying a used double in good condition..price wise...these projects usually get out of hand on costs.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ray is right at the Safari Club Convention you can see a lot of nice used doubles in the 7500- 10,000 dollar range. These doubles are in very good shape and no risk. The 500/465 is a very good caliber also. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentleman for your advice.

Mads: Like I say, I do not know much about doubles or reboring. I think the reason why he is looking at reboring to 470NE is that to rebore worn rifling do you not have to recut the new rifling to a larger bore size?

I agree that there is nothing wrong with 500/450 from what I read in Taylor/ Boddington.

I'll have better idea on Thursday when I will be seeing the rifle and hopefully have a picture to email you guys.

Regards

DD

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Chaps,

I just got back from the auction. My pal was successful and paid $5000 for the rifle. We had it checked out by Ron Wharton who used to be the top man at Rigby. Apparently it is a bargain. It needs new wood and a bit of a sort out but even if another $4000 gets thrown at it it will keep its money and then some. We were bidding against a PH from RSA who took us to the wire.

Also sold was a superb 333 Jeffery bolt rifle, Mauser action, nice wood and Leupold scope,"like new" as the saying goes. It sold at $1500!

A very clean and pretty Westley Richards 318 on a Mauser action sold at $1100.

Sorry no photo at the moment.

DD

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you get into restorations you are making a mistake most of the time...that said I do it from time to time when I get a real "deal".....

Kinda like grandads Axe, you put a new head and a new handle on it and you have restored grandads axe?????? Whats wrong with this scenario......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com