THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Selous for elephants: Why is Oct better than Sept?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Selous for elephants: Why is Oct better than Sept?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I was chatting with some friends today that are planning a safari. It will be in the Selous and elephants are a possibility. They’ve been told October is a better time for such a hunt as compared to September, which was in their initial plans. Is it that much drier a month later to make the hunt potentially better? What other factors could have caused the recommendation?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Spring,

It will be drier and water becomes scarce and animals gravitate to the life giving water..

I may also add eles are big movers and they may be following certain food sources..
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vic,

I think it depends on the area. Several years ago I had some conversations with Luke Samarus and he felt if you booked as late as possible in his areas you would have the best chance. On the other hand Adam has hunted areas where he considered September to be very good for elephant.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good rule of thumb for elephant in the Selous is the drier the better, hence October is optimum in most blocks. If you stray into November you run the risk of hitting the short rains which disperse the elephant again.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
In my experience, which is not terribly extensive, it depends on the blocks in question.

I have seen hundreds of elephant in August in some blocks. But I would have to think that, as a general rule, later is better.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting the Rufiji area of Selous in late August 2007 for Lion, Buffalo, etc. with opp. for elephant. Anyone have experience there or at that time of year? Lion is really goal, elephant would be a nice bonus.

Thanks

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
BigBBear,
How likely are they suggesting a lion and an elephant will be on the same hunt?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
BigBear,

Don't know for sure but an AR poster shot a lion and bull ele near the Rufiji River this past August with PVT
Ivory was nice and thick is posted in the hunt report forum..
Is this the area you are looking at??

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not know if are where PVT was hunting but I am certainly not hunting with him. PH who I have hunted with feels very good chance for Lion and has seen several Ele that he feels are legal or borderline. Have to be 1.7m of course. Owner of concession is guy named Shinni if I understand it corrctly. Just curious if any out there had experience in this area and or time.
Retreever, can you help me find the thread on the hunt report you mentioned?

Thanks

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bigbear sent you a PM

Mike