THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    single shot rifles and dangerous game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

single shot rifles and dangerous game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone hunt dangerous game with a single shot ?Got any hairy stories ? One shot then run like hell ?Maybe Mark Sullivan should try a single shot, if he really wants to prove hes a legend to us all, and himself, he he

One of Us
posted Hide Post
velodog

I agree. I think one should carry a rifle that is capable of doing the job in the worst scenario, not the best. I find it repugnant to assume somebody will save my bacon because I am incapable of doing it. (I wouldn't object though Wink}

Murphy was an optimist.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by velodog:
Does anyone hunt dangerous game with a single shot ?Got any hairy stories ? One shot then run like hell ?Maybe Mark Sullivan should try a single shot, if he really wants to prove hes a legend to us all, and himself, he he

velodog,
I'd love to see Sullivan do what you described.
I doubt he would but on the other hand I doubt he cares what WE ALL think of him. He's laughing his butt off all the way to the bank.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty who do. I have had several clients use a Ruger No 1. With a Little practice a No 1 can be reloaded as fast as most people can reload a bolt action...

And I have never had to back up a client using a single shot. Perhaps there is something in that.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Bullshit! Smiler

I don't think that one should run around saying a single shot is as good as a bolt or double. In the heat of the moment and trying to save your own butt, past performance in not having to backup a single-shot-shooter is quite irrelevant.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Following these DG threads it seems the trophy at any cost has become more important than skill, proficantcy & woodsmanship.

sofa

One shot, one kill....or don'r take the shot at all.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Bullshit! Smiler

I don't think that one should run around saying a single shot is as good as a bolt or double. In the heat of the moment and trying to save your own butt, past performance in not having to backup a single-shot-shooter is quite irrelevant.

If the single shot is a 45-70 then, and only then, is it OK...

While I have never had to put more then one round into a buff (lucky), I am no proponent of single shot rifles. I have seen a few highly experienced PHs miss shots before...

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Boss, Well said, I agree!!

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I've done some waterbuff hunting with a ruger n°1 in 416 rigby. Maybe isn't a stopper but in thick cover and under a charge you will not be able to shoot more than one shot.

So if you hunt carefully and don't wound animals you will be able to hunt without problem. Not the best option but...

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I posted a thread on this subject a while back after watching Larry Weishun ( the TC schill) take over EIGHT seconds to effect a reload after shooting a buffalo with one of those HIDEOUS single shot TCs. Can one do it? sure, folks do it with muzzleloaders all the time and bows too of course. The only caveat being of course that you have sufficient backup. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

What calibers have they used in the No1's you mention? What game were they after at the time?

Like many activities in life it's up to the individual as to what level of risk he wants to inject into the game.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OT, but would a single shot in a rimless caliber have extraction/ejection problems like a double in a rimless caliber?

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mehul

I had a .375 in a Ruger #1 that would pop over the rim about 1 in 4 times. If one ever did while you were practicing and you didn't get it attended to you would deserve what you got.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:
OT, but would a single shot in a rimless caliber have extraction/ejection problems like a double in a rimless caliber?

Mehul,
Good point. Ross Seyfried hunted cape buffalo with a single shot, but it was a rimmed cartridge, .461 Gibbs.

Like Lorenzo. I have used a .416 Rigby Ruger No.1 on water buffalo. Maybe I better switch to 500/416 rimmed, or .416/.500 ala Krieghoff.

An elastic wrist band carrier with two or three shells on the offhand is perfect for snatching the reload from as the trigger hand shoves the lever down and forward, it is already arcing in the right direction for the grab. Then quickly back to shove the shell in the chamber and close the action. Can be fast, as Ganyana says.

Then replenish the wrist carrier from the buttstock carrier when the stampede and fusilade are over.

I would sure do it, but a PH backup and a rimmed cartridge would be nice. One shot, one kill, is indeed the goal on any game.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi .458

See mostly .375's, But .500Nitro from these forums uses one in .500NE to good effect and Don Heath used Farqueson in .450NE but another PH from down south took it off him, Paul Clark uses a Webly in .450-400 but has a .500A square if things need to be followed up.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a few of you forgotten it is the hunt we are suppose to crave? A hunter either gets the shot he wants and does it with 1 shot for a quick humane kill or keeps working at it till he does get the perfect set up.
I don't care if you shoot a Howitzer if you shoot that buff in the backside he isn't going to drop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really love single shots, but all the thoughts that nothing ever goes wrong, are just that, thoughts. Yes providing the animal doesn't turn at the last second, step in front of brush etc. the single shot does everything that can be asked. But, sometimes things just don't work out that way. A month ago I had a 40 yard frontal brain shot at an ele. He had his trunk up in the air trying to get our wind. Just at the gun was about to go off, he dropped his head and the shot went high. I was to appreciate the second barrel a moment latter.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can see where one might get in a bit of a storm with a single shot, but then things like that can happen with a bolt or double gun, poop happens...You have a PH and probably someone else with him to back up all dangerous game hunts, so hey whatever blows your skir up, its your hunt, your hard earned dollas, enjoy and don't take all this stuff too seriously... beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey 1 and RIP,

Thank you very much for the information. I wondered about this but this thread was the right opportunity to ask the question I ahd in mind for some time.

Good hunting, gentlemen!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A corollary of Murphy's Law (or it might be the 11th Commandment, I forget) says that single shot rifles are a bad idea for DG.

Unpredictable and adverse things happen when hunting, and I have needed a quick second (or third, fourth, fifth, etc.) shot too often to be comfortable with a single shot. Give me a magazine rifle every time. Or maybe a double.

Even the African hunters of old who used big bore muzzle loaders always had gunbearers nearby with one or more extra, fully loaded rifles at the ready for follow up shots.

Of course, your PH will be there for back up, but who wants that, if it can be avoided? And no, I don't think handguns, bows and arrows, muzzle loaders or .45/70s are a good idea against DG either. Use 'em if you want to and can find a PH to take you and back you up, but I'll pass, thanks.

For me, standing with a single shot rifle among a herd of elephants or buffalo would be too much like that bad dream people have where they show up naked in the middle of a black tie reception. I wouldn't want to be in either situation!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Firearms evolved from single to multiple shots for a reason. If I had a single shot rifle by now I'd be dead. 5 down, one up is GOOD.

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Just love Gerty, my 500NE Ruger #1. Have not had to use my practiced fast second shot except in our local big bore shooting comps ....ye Winkt!

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray ..... your answer is the most logical ..... you have back-up, so whatever floats your boat.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The only buff I have taken fell to one shot from my .404. I wouldn't conclude from that one event that a single shot is all that's req'd, There are just too many bad, ture stories of people getting smacked about w/ bolt guns & even doubles. Having said that, I would use a .416 or bigger single shot on buff in more open areas where I wouldn't have to pry them out from under a bush.
BTW Will, Gnyana didn't say the single shot was equal to the bolt, but I can load my Ruger #1s very, very fast. It's all about practice & shot placement. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote