THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best longevity for an African safari product?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best longevity for an African safari product?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Today I decided to dig out, clean and waterproof my wet weather Brasher boots that have come on pretty much every safari I've done since I bought them and as I was cleaning them off, I managed to work out that they must be something like 20-25 years old and in that time, I'd guesstimate they must have walked at least something like 10K miles. (conservative estimate)

Working on 20 years of ownership and (probably) an original price of something in the region of US$50 (actually UKP35) that's US$2.50 a year or next to nothing per mile.....They've still got their original laces and are still 100% waterproof.

So who can beat that for value for money and/or longevity in any African hunting related item!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only a Scot could work out what a pair of boots cost them over that length of time Roll Eyes
Although my Courteneys are about 14 yrs old and are still going strong,but one lace has broken.

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
John,

I thought a lot of you Kiwis were from Sweaty ancestry..... in which case, you ought to be impressed! rotflmo

Joking aside, it's not the cost that impresses me, it's the quality!!

Mind you, it could be that since I came to live in africa, I've gotten used to the crap quality of most things here... Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I think some of the NE doubles have got your old stinky shoes beat by a long ways. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Sharkari, post a picture of those bad boys. They've got to have some character

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dam I bet those things have a stench you can smell for miles????????? Wink I bet your trackers hate them the shoes that walk by them selves rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what kinda skin they made out of?????

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Boots are leather & nylon of some kind with gore tex membrane and this http://www.brasher.co.uk/catal...acana-gtx-r-tacanamn is the up to date version.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
to wear like that I figured they where custom made out of something exotic. LIKE FORESKIN sweals up and keeps your feet dry when wet? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo only othere shin I know of that wears like thats vagina. your can use that stuff forever and never wear it out rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I vote you.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9953 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has the smell of those South African stink bombs ever been mistaken for a herd of cape buffalo? dancing Or fresh ele dung? clap Or, better yet: Have you hung them as leopard bait? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesus- Some people just have too much time on their hands!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
Sharkari, post a picture of those bad boys. They've got to have some character

He's talking about the boots Steve, not your feet. DO NOT post pics of your feet, mate. (I had a lot of eggs for breakfast.)

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve
For what it's worth the new Brashers are just as good, but now a lot lighter.They are the only boots that I wear here in the Uk and I have never been wet in them.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how cheap they are either. You can easily spend 3 or 4 times the Brasher prices on a set of boots but I'd bet none are better.

I'm helluva suprised they don't seem to market to overseas markets though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how many times have you changed your socks since owning those boots????

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm probably at least once! Wink

Can't post pics just now because I've got anti virus problems and keep getting error messages every time I try to do it!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's awonder I can't smell your feet from here rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet your toenails are so thick you cut them with a chainsaw Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did Susan give you the anti virus I told her would work!!!!!!! rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bastard anti virus is driving me nucking futs... but I thought your idea just might make it even worse! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it might make it worse but Susan would get a good laugh out of it. BUT NO I REPETE NO PICTURES rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one thing about driving you nuts with would not be a long drive and would use very little pertol. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess with the old boots he is getting a "cover scent"? Probably smells like a over ripe leopard bait.
I thought this was only used when hunting White Tail in the US.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya we try to cover sent here. Shakari is trying to kill there sence of smell totaly. or at least cause there eyes to watter so they can't see to run when your close. MAKESfor easyer hunting

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It'd be cheaper than bullets huh! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey thats a thought rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the cat that Steve killed with the smell from his boots? He finally posted a picture of it! dancing

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
yuck yuck jumping

Now that made me laugh!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did the cat look like it have been sniffing drugs?? or having hallusinations???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both! Look at this poor thing! If you look very closely you can catch a glimpse of the fumes still coming off of his boots! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fumes so strong they made the poor cats nose bleed rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the photo Steve was actually caught trying to do the Heimlich method on the poor cat to try and revive it. By the way, it ain't the sun or Valentines Day that made old Steve's skin turn red! animal I reckon that this is the only picture that will ever see of them boots, and lucky we are to have it, even though it was taken from some distance! dancing

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You think I look like shit in that pic...... I'd carried that bloody cat down a mountain and by the time I got back to the client I was fit to drop! rotflmo

And to top if off...... my bloody fly buttons came undone halfway down!!!!

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
by the looks of the beer belly on the cat it was a drinking buddy not a trophy. a very very drunk drinking buddy

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My $12 Uncle Mike's nylon cartridge holder.

I finally replaced it after 15 years. I figured at this rate I will get 75 years out of them before I get close to one of those fancy leather ones.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's more to the story of the unbuttoned fly than he's telling us! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YAAAAAA pussy is pussy even from a lepard rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dam old bikers will screw anything that don;t screw them first jumping