Find
Notify
Tools

Another bushbuck question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted
Since it took me three safaris to get the first one, I'm dead serious about the Cape subspecies next year. That, to me, means no darn foolin' around with nostalgia rifles. I'm planning on taking The Nightmare, my new scoped 6.5x55. Bushbuck aren't any larger that Coastal Blacktail. Any reason that Nosler 120 gr. Ballistic Tips shouldn't do just fine? I'll take the .318 or the .404 for zebra and wildebeest.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
The 6.5 X 55 will surely kill any Bushbuck that walks. The only problem may be if you don't catch one out in the open, I'd be concerned about using that light a bullet in heavy brush. Personally, I'd use something heavier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldsarge,

You'll be fine with you 6.5 and 120 gr. bullets. If you hit him in the right spot he'll be dead. If you hit him in the wrong spot with either your .404 or your 6.5, you'll have a wounded bushbuck. I mostly use either a .404 or .375 on bushbuck, but that is because I like the guns, not because I need the calibers. I'll have no problem in using my 7 x 57 or a .243 - or your 6.5 for that matter, to hunt bushbuck.

I wanted to advise you to use a Partition bullet - but once again, you don't need them. I just like them.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:
... That, to me, means no darn foolin' around with nostalgia rifles. ... I'll take the .318 or the .404 for zebra and wildebeest.

Frowner bawling shame

There are no true heroes anymore. Wink Big Grin

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, bushbuck can get mean & nasty if wounded.

My PH has been hunting DG in very wild DG country for many years. He has had three run-ins with animals where he got the wrong side of the horn/claw. The animals were:

Buffalo
Leopard
Bushbuck!!!! Eeker

Make that first shot count!

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I took an ancient, nearly toothless Cape bushbuck last season in RSA. I used my .300 Win. Mag. with 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. My shot was across a canyon, and I only had a small portion of the bushbuck to aim at. We propped the shooting sticks against a tree, I sat down, got into the sling, and used the sticks for a rest. It was just about as steady as shooting at the bench.

Obviously, this isn't a large animal, so you don't need a .300 Win. like I used or anything bigger than a .270 Win. I think your 6.5X55 should be just about ideal. Gaining a steady shooting position is of paramount importance, and I think the right scope can make all the difference in the world. The ability to turn up the magnification to not only enlarge the image but to increase the twilight factor can be of great importance. Because of this, I prefer variables in the 3.5-10X range over fixed 4Xs, etc.

Optics are more important than the cartridge or bullet in this case..........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge

I hunted Cape bushbuck as Allen described cross canyon and also in heavy bush and in a hide on farmland at the last possible shooting light. I think your 6.5 will be fine but I think the BT might not be just right if the bushbuck is moving away in heavy cover. A good scope of 1.75x6 or 2.5 x8 might serve you well.

Good Hunting,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Everyone seems to be confirming the current rig. The Nightmare wears a Leupole 2x7 and is set up to shoot 140 gr. PT's at 2730 fps. I haven't had time to dial myself a 1/2 MOA powdercharge/throat space/etc. but I suspect that over the summer I can come up with one. Obviously that's overkill on the grouping situation but after all, there's always dassies. jump

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A well constructed bullet is a must. As an example, I shot my Bushbuck in the right hip using a .416 Rem and a 400 grain Xbullet. The bullet was found in the vitals but did NOT exit. Make sure your bullet will reach the vitals from ANY angle or you may either be passing up or tracking the trophy of a lifetime.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
JTG,

That's amazing! I would have thought that round and bullet would have dropped and field dressed a bushbuck all at once.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sarge, your 6.5 will be great, I even think your 120grBT will work because your imp. vel. will be probably be below 2800fps, where I find BTs start coming apart. BTW, if you are sighted in w/ 140, why not?
On my next trip across the pond i want to take a Cape & Limpopo if possible. Along w/ my Chobe taken last year would make a great collection of pedestal mounts.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote