Changing SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

None of the other airlines that recently banned trophy transportation had said they were banning it either ... until they did. SCI was instrumental in preventing Delta joining in on the band wagon, which would have been the easy and "trendy" thing to do.

What proof do you have that SCI was so involved with Delta's decision. Enquiring minds want to know.......

I can tell you that 4 of us were in direct contact with the incoming SCI president. He told us what was done. He happens to live in. Atlanta. Delta is based in Atlanta.' Do the math.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the answer to my question is that you have zero proof, just lip service.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Coming from somebody who has to post on three forums to make certain Africa Sky is safe because somebody was scared because there were black people working there your opinion means pretty much nothing to me.

I know what happened, some people just take care of business and feel no need to thump their chest about it.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
SCI clearly has issues, but they definitely were instrumental in sorting out the Delta situation. If you choose not to believe that, you are entitled to your opinion . . . it just happens that in this instance your opinion is wrong.

Mike

Posts: 21682 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am wrong about it, then I am wrong and stand corrected, and apology offered to larryshores. I should not have posted in that manner.

Burke, not sure if you were talking to me or not, but I did post about the safeness of AS because some guy sent me a PM and said it wasn't. Since I had never stayed there and had never heard that before, I did ask the question, but already had reservations made and paid for with AS, so it was a moot point. I was curious though. Fair enough?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Talk about lip service! You're a life member, obviously capable of being in a position of influence, but would rather bitch and complain than use that influence to make a positive change. Your strong objections to the organization however are not enough to make you resign from your life member position.

Tell me WHERE do members have any influence on SCI??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Talk about lip service! You're a life member, obviously capable of being in a position of influence, but would rather bitch and complain than use that influence to make a positive change. Your strong objections to the organization however are not enough to make you resign from your life member position.

Actually GO to the annual convention and meet the people involved. How could you not have worked that out already Saeed? It's a members-only event.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Other than at the Chapter level and chance connections with senior officers, I am not sure members have much of an influence on anything candidly. Pains me to say so but I really feel that is the case.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Other than at the Chapter level and chance connections with senior officers, I am not sure members have much of an influence on anything candidly. Pains me to say so but I really feel that is the case.

I have to agree with you Mike. However, I do think there is hope. the survey would have never happened 5 years ago. The communications with the president elect is encouraging.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If all the officers and directors were as open the situation would certainly not be nearly as bleak. When they first announced the ill-fated SCI booking agency idea, I emailed every board member and got one response . . . yes, you can guess from who. I sent an email to the head of the Foundation last year trying to get some coverage by SCI of the efforts of our local chapter to support the Sportmen Against Hunger initiative that the Foundation is ostensibly responsible for . . . the response, crickets. Hopefully, things will change for the better but I remain skeptical.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
quote:

Actually GO to the annual convention and meet the people involved. How could you not have worked that out already Saeed? It's a members-only event.

And what could members do at the convention that can actually change the silly direction SCI has taken?

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:
quote:

And what could members do at the convention that can actually change the silly direction SCI has taken?
Why dont you go find out?

Members have influenced SCI in all kinds of ways... hell I even convinced them to allow us to start an online chapter, when they said it wasnt allowed. As stated the group of members saw the SCI booking agency idea cancelled.

I have made numerous representations to the Record Book committee on various things that I could see was wrong/bad. Some they accepted and changed, some they didnt.

There's three examples for you.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The examples are sort of interesting. They illustrate part of the problem with SCI. I am not sure about the record book issue since your description did not include much information but the common denominator on the other two is SCI agreed to do what they thought would put the most money in their pocket. The online chapter idea is one you would expect SCI to embrace since it allows them to pull in more dues, capture a good share of any auction or banquet proceeds raised by the chapter, etc. The booking agency debacle they backed off of when a bunch of their exhibitors/members threatened to walk and take their checkbooks with them.

My point is not that SCI should not be concerned about raising money, of course they should. Money is how they carry out their missions. My point is that SCI views raising money less as a means to end and more as an end itself. It is further evidence, to me, that their priorities are out of whack.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the lobbying efforts are dictated by money? When you show up for Lobby Day do they ask you to pull your cheque books - or is it really about members showing-up and reps knocking on doors, etc.

Sure money helps that happen but I expect that there is a whole lot more effort that requires members to devote their time and other resources.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that is what he saying Matt. I think he is saying they raising money has become SCI's more important mission, more so than their other activities .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I don't think that is what he saying Matt. I think he is saying they raising money has become SCI's more important mission, more so than their other activities .

I would agree that this is their most important mission.....raising money and keeping their inflated egos inflated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its a bit like saying your favourite charities main mission is to raise money.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:

I would agree that this is their most important mission.....raising money and keeping their inflated egos inflated.

Raising money for a good cause is not a problem at all.

Sadly, that seems to have become one of the two holly grails.

Screw your members by as much money as you can get, and glorify the few idiots who five hunting a bad name.

Just see how SCI charges you for anything to be in the show.

Compare that to the incredible services and help that DSC members afford those who are exhibiting at the show.

Like comparing chalk and cheese!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This thread will solve nothing here! Both sides remain solidly on their own side and hear absolutely nothing being said from the other side. This is exactly the same as hunters and anti hunters, each side only hears what they are saying and give no credit to the voice they are ignoring.

I have been an annual member of SCI almost from it’s beginning, and I find the club has slowly sunk into a hole called “LOOK AT ME” from the top record book contestants who are the rule makers it seems. In the early years SCI was one of the best friends the hunter had, and regarded the members, regardless of their level, as an asset to the way the club was run. In the almost fifty years I have been a member I find the club today to be a whole different club than it was when I first joined, and not for the better in my opinion.

I’m sure the top level doesn’t find a need for input from the annual membership. With that in mind anything I have to say here will not be of concern to SCI’s to the powers that be at SCI. I’m on the fence with this one because the top levels don’t find a need to inform the membership of anything concerning where the funds go, or what is being done to conserve my right to hunt. Maybe if they were a little more open on these subjects, threads like this one wouldn’t be so confrontational between hunters who should all be on the same side where hunting is concerned.

………………..SCI does a lot that we at bottom level members are never aware of I’m sure, but it is unfortunate that they do not find it necessary to be a little more forth coming with the membership rather than to keep the books in the vault with a “NEED TO KNOW” offered to only the top of the barrel members. …….This is simply politics and nothing will be solved here any more than it is in any kind of politics except to make enemies of AR members who disagree.
................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been an annual member of SCI almost from it’s beginning, and I find the club has slowly sunk into a hole called “LOOK AT ME” from the top record book contestants who are the rule makers it seems

I am just wondering if the Kardashian's are running SCI secretly rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If all the officers and directors were as open the situation would certainly not be nearly as bleak. When they first announced the ill-fated SCI booking agency idea, I emailed every board member and got one response . . . yes, you can guess from who. I sent an email to the head of the Foundation last year trying to get some coverage by SCI of the efforts of our local chapter to support the Sportmen Against Hunger initiative that the Foundation is ostensibly responsible for . . . the response, crickets. Hopefully, things will change for the better but I remain skeptical.

Mike, who in SCIF did you email? PM me and I can get you in direct contact of the person you need to speak to.

quote:
When you show up for Lobby Day do they ask you to pull your cheque books - or is it really about members showing-up and reps knocking on doors, etc.

Matt, There is no asking for money. Just volunteering of SCI members time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD - I have always accepted that SCI has many faults, dont we all?
No enemies either... tu2 just helps to post another side to the story.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I emailed Joe Hosmer. Never got a response of any kind. Another one of our directors reached out to the Foundation and was able to get them to at least post some information on the website.

http://safariclubfoundation.org/?page_id=11187

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

.................................................................. jumping

I don't think it is quite that bad but funny as hell none the less!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff, I emailed Joe Hosmer. Never got a response of any kind. Another one of our directors reached out to the Foundation and was able to get them to at least post some information on the website.

You would probably get more traction emailing someone in their DC office. Last I heard Matt Eckert was still running the Conservation department.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling that SCI is an Old Boys Club with just the rich and stodgy Old Boys in control. I'll stick with DSC.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I have been an annual member of SCI almost from it’s beginning, and I find the club has slowly sunk into a hole called “LOOK AT ME” from the top record book contestants who are the rule makers it seems

We'll know this if Bruce Jenner gets the Diana award!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
quote:

We'll know this if Bruce Jenner gets the Diana award!
Cal

Well, he - sorry - she, is getting all sorts of stupid awards.

One more is not going to make that much of a difference! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about the old boys club Roll Eyes I can think of SCI awards to criticise but you guys hit a low when you mock any award to encourage women to hunt.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally , I thought it was a joke aimed at Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry - I guess maybe you don't know Matt that well??? Wink

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser
Sabatti "trash" Double Shooter

quote:
Personally , I thought it was a joke aimed at Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's this simple. If you have a 22 rimfire NRA has your back. If you want to own fully automatic 50 cal's NRA has your back.

Until SCI or SOMEONE else assumes this level of blanket protective attitude for hunters it is all for naught.

If the rumblings I hear out of NRA pan out I will drop SCI like the self absorbed hot potato they are. For now I will continue to encourage them to grow up and look outside their "circles".

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That about sums it up.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I still think they do a lot for us all

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I still think they do a lot for us all

May be.

But most certainly not enough for all the money they squeeze out of us!