Find
Notify
Tools

Peep sights on safari ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted
I have a GEW98 mauser rebarreled in 30-06 with williams peep sight that i am accurate to 100yds with. My next trip is in Sept. 09 primarily with a bow , but was considering taking this rifle. It is a joy to shoot and being a bowhunter that uses a peep on my bow , the sights just feel real natural. Would I be at a disadvantage using this set-up ?
Has anyone used peep sights on thier trip ?

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing wrong with that idea at all

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06 is a fine plainsgame caliber. Regarding peeps sights; so long as you hit your point of aim I don't think it matters what sights you use.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
EJ,

The only time I've used an aperture in Africa was for a hunt for leopard with hounds. I carried a big levergun for that hunt with a ghost ring rear and a big bead up front. That combo allowed for fast work up close (which was by design) but certainly wouldn't be my choice past about 75 yards as the front bead simply covers too much real estate as distance increases.

As long as you can hit well with your combination and stay within the limitations imposed by them...make it happen, Cap'n!

Good luck!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
EJ,

Short and simple, If you like it and shoot it very good and limit it to your 100yds then do your job and make the shot...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
EJ,

Short and simple, If you like it and shoot it very good and limit it to your 100yds then do your job and make the shot...

Mike

100% agreed - use what you know and are comfortable with.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I feel more comfortable seeing people shoot with scopes. If I was hunting in a group and saw others with iron sights and peeps, I might wonder about there skill level.

If you're good with it, it doesn't matter what the other people in camp think.

I prefer to see a PH with iron sights. I don't believe I would feel as comfortable about seeing him with a peep.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my rifles wear a peep sight. on some it comes off or folds away if a scope is fitted - but used a peep for every ele and almost all the buff and plains game I have ever shot. Wouldn't want to use one in Namibia anymore- eyesight isn't quite what it used to be...and on small targets past 100m, pass. In bushveld hunting though most game is shot at ranges well within 100m and usually in good light.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
...used a peep for every ele...I have ever shot...

I intend on trying exactly that come March!

Regarding PHs and irons, I understand that a number of the Zim hunters got quite a bit of experience using peeps in the '70s. A different bit of hunting altogether, though.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 610 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
My Exwifes father used one on his bigbore M70 just before Kenya banned hunting.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I normally only follow the posts and read in wonder about the wonderfull hunts you have/are making, hunts that a poor retired military guy could never afford. But this thread intreagues me, in that, almost without exception, all cross-course or position matches are and have been for decades shot using "peep" sights, at ranges from 100 to 1000 yards. I know you must be familiar with Camp Perry, untill the last few years, peep sights were the only sights allowed. As for quick shooting, the peep sight automaticly brings the front sight into perfect alingnment without having to center it consiously as is necessary with a leaf sight. Whew! I've said all this just to say, if I'm using open sights, give me a peep sight!

Jim Berry

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A "peep" sight or in particular a large ring aperture style sight is one of the fastest most accurate sighting systems in the world. When set up correctly they are better than shallow vee express sights by a wide margin IMO.

I use them almost exclusively on my heavy bolt guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Iron Buck:
My Exwifes father used one on his bigbore M70 just before Kenya banned hunting.

That's a great picture of your ex FIL, a wonderful rifle and a perfect buffalo. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote