New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota Traveler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had personal experiences with the Dakota traveler. I already own a couple Dakotas so I am already a fan. But does the take down sytem work? Is it that much eaisier to travel? Do they function as well as the older Dakotas? Do you think all the changes at Dakota will effect product quality? Lots of questions?

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 478 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don Allen would always tell you to fire in a settling shot if possible after re-assembly. Outside if that I never heard a discouraging word about them. I have heard that the HS Precision rifle is also accurate but it near impossible to dis-assemble if it is hot. Let it cool a bit and it come right undone. I got this thru a fella that has several brands of take down type rifles.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got a friend that has one & he loves it. He is extremely nervous about traveling with anything that looks like a guncase & thats why he bought it. with the takedown he can get his gun into a suitcase & that makes him a happy camper. Incidently he has 2 elk over 400 pts with it.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Takedowns are a great idea. I went to Moz. last fall & just wanted to take one bag. I just took my M70/.404 apart & put it in a short case into the bottom of a Cabela's Alaskan bag. Everything was great until I went to trnsfer from JHB to Moz. SAA DOES NOT allow firearms to be packed in a bag w/ other stuff. I had to take the case out & send it separately, back to two bags. The same policy was in place for my trip home & in Atlanta I put it all back together.
No problems BTW in getting zero after putting it together, a check shot & I was off hunting. The Traveler or HS seem like a great idea for NA hunting, but when I go back to Africa, it will be (2) rifles in a TuffPack.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Being able to put your gun case in any car trunk or in bush plane with no problems is very handy and I wish I had a take-down just for that reason. What about a system for quick release receiver bolts? I would love to be able to take apart my CZ 550 by just a twist of the receiver bolts, take the barrelled action off the stock and put it into a short case. Couldn't a bolt with a cam at the head, sort of like the front wheel release on good bicycles, be adapted to rifles?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
SAA DOES NOT allow firearms to be packed in a bag w/ other stuff. I had to take the case out & send it separately, back to two bags.

So how have all these guys been carrying the TuffPak with all the other stuff in all this time. Sounds like you got ahold of idiot baggage checker or something.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It's Africa! It's ok to put stuff in your case, but not the rifle in a piece of luggage w/ stuff? Rifles must eb checked separately. I know, sounds stupid, but trying to argue the point w/ security was, well, pointless. Mad

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote