Find
Notify
Tools

Info on Lion Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted
Has anyone hunted with Kubusi Safaris in South Africa? Lion, in particular?

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if it's a lion hunt in RSA, you can be pretty well assured that the lion is not completely wild and free. do the math. to allow a lion to roam free on a large game farm, the farm owner is going to loose a lot of plains game unless he feeds the bugger. over a period of months, the cost of lost plains game will certainly add up. there may be a few exceptions( although i seriously doubt it) but the bottom line is that lions shot in RSA are by and large captive born and raised, then released to be shot. that's OK too as long as the hunter understands the real situation and doesn't buy the line of shit about this lion crossed the Limpopo River or Kalahari Desert from Bots, Zim, Nam. etc. i have no problem with people shooting captive bred lions( although it's not my cup of tea), as long as they realize where the lion came from.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Jdollar, I'm curious to read what you think about the safari operators who have areas that border Kruger Park, and where the animals can wander freely between the park and private lands.

Your thoughts?

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Those Lions are the closest to wild Lions anywhere in SA but there's no doubt that they're habituated and not truly wild and the system is very open to abuse. If you want a truly wild Lion, go hunt it in a true wilderness area.

You might like to visit www.shakariconnection.com and then go to the Articles section and read the two pieces about Lion hunting there to find out more.

I'll try to find time to post the actual links later today.

Hope that helps!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if a lion lives in Kruger Park, how many tourists in cars do you thinks he sees on a regular basis ?. when he wanders into a hunting concession that adjoins the park, how wary do you think he is when he sees a landcruiser. i have spent a week in Kruger in a rental car- part of which was along the western border with the Sabi-Timbuvati game reserves- and i can assure you the lions in the area were anything but wary of vehicles or people. made for great picture and video, however!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
if a lion lives in Kruger Park, how many tourists in cars do you thinks he sees on a regular basis ?. when he wanders into a hunting concession that adjoins the park, how wary do you think he is when he sees a landcruiser. i have spent a week in Kruger in a rental car- part of which was along the western border with the Sabi-Timbuvati game reserves- and i can assure you the lions in the area were anything but wary of vehicles or people. made for great picture and video, however!!!

So what about hunting elephants along a Park boundary as is very oftenly done throughout Zim, Bots, Moz, Tz, etc? Is that any different to what you are describing above?

I think the temptation of the private ranchers bordering the Kruger to release a captive bred lion a day before the client arrives and thenbring out the story about it just having crossed the boundary is a lot more plausible.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
I think the temptation of the private ranchers bordering the Kruger to release a captive bred lion a day before the client arrives and thenbring out the story about it just having crossed the boundary is a lot more plausible.

Have we got an icon for hitting the nail bang on the head! rotflmo thumb

One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Hello Sue.

You asked about Kubusi Safaris…. And no one has responded to you so far…
I know James Williamson, who is the owner of Kubusi Safaris, and he is a great guy. I don’t think you will get anything but a great hunt and a great experience with him.

I have hunted with him, and doesn’t have any problems to recommend him and his staff.

Pm me if there is anything i can do for you.

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote