THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The Greatest Elephant Movie Ever Made

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greatest Elephant Movie Ever Made
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just viewed "The Evolution Of An Elephant Hunter" by Sam and Rosemary Pancotto, there are 13 elephants taken on the film most of the elephants are over 100 lbs,Sam has taken 19 elephant over 100 lbs,Sam biggest elephant was 179-181,its the best elephant movie i have seen,plus Sam and Rosemary are the nicest people you will ever meet,we have to convince Sam to market it so the world can see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capebuf:
I just viewed "The Evolution Of An Elephant Hunter" by Sam and Rosemary Pancotto, there are 13 elephants taken on the film most of the elephants are over 100 lbs,Sam has taken 19 elephant over 100 lbs,Sam biggest elephant was 179-181,its the best elephant movie i have seen,plus Sam and Rosemary are the nicest people you will ever meet,we have to convince Sam to market it so the world can see.

In what era where these ele taken?

19 ele over 100lbs is mind blowing. shocker

I think that 179-181 lbs would be in the top 5 of all time. Eeker

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These elephants were taken all over africa.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
We have a old famous PH (Andrew Holmberg) living here in Sweden that guided Sam and Rose on three +100 pounders on one safari.
Amazing...

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Evolution Of An Elephant Hunter

I would love to see this movie. I wonder if Safari Press would be interested in marketing it if Mr. Pancotto decided to release it onto the market.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capebuf:
These elephants were taken all over africa.

What I meant was what years, over what period of time?

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just check out their old trophy room at the Trophy Room Pictures forum on this site under "Tell me about this trophy room."

Not just his ele trophys are mind blowing! Sam and Rosemary have "been there done that" in a way most of us can't comprehend and surely won't be duplicated.

I would LOVE for them to release their movies for both our viewing enjoyment and their historical value.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
What a movie it must be, and what a book it could be.....

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
50's,60's,70's, before Kenya closed. A lot of East Africa hunting. Northern Frontier District,no vehicles, foot and camel transportation. My previous post asking about Peter Mann-Jones was the PH featured in the dvd.

Andrew Holmberg did a nice story about Sam and Rose's hunt in the Northern Frontier District in his book "Out in Africa".

Capebuff is correct, it is the GREATEST elephant movie ever made. HUGE IVORY!!!

Dave Hulme-If you see Joe Wright or Tery Fenn in Zimbabwe, they have a copy of the dvd that Sam gave to them. You will love it.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
wow sounds wery nice where did you get the film from?i whould like to buy it too Smiler

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds fantastic..............when your done watching it over and over , sell it to me!!
I'd love to see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome you seen the greatest elephant movie ever and its something we all can't enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get a copy!!!

Posts: 385 | Location: So. Nevada | Registered: 29 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the hunting world recognizes what Sam Pancotto has done maybe he will then market his dvd,i find it amazing that this man is not talked about as being one of the greatest hunters of all time,the hunting world talks about some of the so called famous hunters and what they have done,some of those so-called hunters cant touch what Sam Pancotto has done.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Kathi has always had good things to say about him.

Sounds like a very interesting DVD.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Pancottos obviously don't want or need to flaunt their accomplishments, immense as they evidently are. That said, it would do the hunting community a great service if they could be convinced to put their DVD out for sale. The proceeds could possibly go to a deserving charity such as Catch A Dream or some other very worthy cause that is involved with the hunting community. I would buy a copy for sure, as I know many friends that would as well.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John S your not getting my point,its true the pancotto's dont need to flaunt what they have done,but when the hunting world talks about famous hunters like Selby,Ruark,Bell,etc,etc why not Sam Pancotto.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sound like "sporsmen" in the truest sense. Hunting for the love of the sport rather than to promote themselves or as a way to further their activities. Satisfied in their own acomplishments without the need for external validation through the admiration or aproval of others. I'd call that some great charicter qualities!
Just the same, since many of their acomplishments are today out of reach at any cost, it'd sure be great to share those experiences with those who'd appreciate it. Perhaps one day...
Mr. and Mrs Pancotto, cheers!
beer

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
capebuff,
I see what you are saying but I don't agree with it. Comparing ANY paying client to someone like Harry Selby, Bell, Sutherland, J.A. Hunter or other professional just isn't comparing apples to apples, IMO. Ruark was nothing but a hugely popular and successful writer who loved hunting, same can be said for Boddington in today's world. And truthfully, CTB has far more experience in Africa than any of the old timers like Ruark. I think the Pancottos would be more properly compared to some of their contemporaries. These sportsmen all spent fortunes hunting the world. Men like Elgin Gates, W.T. Yoshimoto, Frank Hibden or Jay Mellon.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John S,believe what you want,but i disagree with what you are saying,you just dont know Sam Pancotto and his accomplishments,i will leave it at that......Sam was also good friends with Elgin Gates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noone said they are not great hunters? This is just weird. Now your saying maybe they will put out their video if more people were to talk about them as great hunters?? If its recongnition they want then by all means put out the video. you dont think they should have too put out their video to be talked about and get recongnition. Is this your opinion, the Pancottos or both ? And if the recongnition hasnt happened yet to your standards the chances they ever get it will be is slim without putting out the video. There seems to be some animosity on your part, did you get that on your own or pick it up on your visit with them? They seem proud of their past and even have a title for this movie, but dont want to share. There has to be more something more to this.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have heard of this great hunter and his exploits, but I'd love to hear more. And, I'd really, really love to see the movie. It would be great if it would be made available commercially, especially if the proceeds were donated to an organization such as www.thetashingainitiative.org .

Kathi - is your relationship such that you could suggest this?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I can sure understand if they don't want to release it. It doesn't make sense that they need the money and probably don't want the fame. They definitely wouldn't want the avalanche of criticism that comes from FELLOW hunters about every single release of any form of media.

Look at how EVERY other DVD, book, TV show or even article is brutally picked apart. We jump to cut down and rip-up our fellow hunters faster than the anti's could ever even think of. The first week their DVD came out there will be posts to the effect of:

1. "I noted that on frame 12,374, while Sam claimed he was shooting a CRF it looked like he was carrying a PF and therefore this DVD isn't credible."

2. "They only got to do this much hunting because they had money, therefore they aren't REAL hunters."

3. "I would have never shot that 85 pounder in the third hunt because he used a lung shot and it was over 40 yards."

Etc., Etc., ETC!

Apparently they took the footage for their own use and if that's doesn't include a commercial release more power to them.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
...Apparently they took the footage for their own use and if that doesn't include a commercial release more power to them.
Kyler

While the above quote sums it up beautifully I also agree with EVERYTHING Kyler has said in his post. While many would love to see this video, no less share their other exploits, I can certianly understand their decission to keep such personal things among themselves and their close friends.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
I can sure understand if they don't want to release it. It doesn't make sense that they need the money and probably don't want the fame. They definitely wouldn't want the avalanche of criticism that comes from FELLOW hunters about every single release of any form of media.

Look at how EVERY other DVD, book, TV show or even article is brutally picked apart. We jump to cut down and rip-up our fellow hunters faster than the anti's could ever even think of. The first week their DVD came out there will be posts to the effect of:

1. "I noted that on frame 12,374, while Sam claimed he was shooting a CRF it looked like he was carrying a PF and therefore this DVD isn't credible."

2. "They only got to do this much hunting because they had money, therefore they aren't REAL hunters."

3. "I would have never shot that 85 pounder in the third hunt because he used a lung shot and it was over 40 yards."

Etc., Etc., ETC!

Apparently they took the footage for their own use and if that's doesn't include a commercial release more power to them.

Kyler

+1 thumb

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess if you are the type that really cares what people say about you or how they pick on you then I guess to each his own. They already seem to be pissed off about what people are not saying about them so maybe the video is where it belongs and should stay that way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While we all like to see magnificant acomplishments, hunting is not a spectator sport. The appreciation to a true sportsman is much deeper. Something that for many is trivialized by what some might consider showing off. When you can control WHO see's your memories (such as our host does here) it's quite different than a commercial venture no matter who benefits from the proceeds. Reading the orginal posts I fail to see anything insinuating the hunters WANT recognition, only that an admirer suggests they deserve it.

What has transpired in this thread is precisely why such true sportsmen do not wish to open their cherished memories to the public. I for one understand completly and respect their decission to keep their PRIVATE life private - no matter how much I'd like to see it myself.
beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just talking to Sam Pancotto and how some people believe that graig boddington has the most experiance in Africa,Sam Pancotto was tipping over animals in Africa when Boddington was drinking milk...........

posted Hide Post
capebuf,
I hope I am not the "some people" you're referring to in that last post. I didn't say CTB has as much experience as your friends...but he might have on an overall basis since his safari count is now well into the 100s. I know he hasn't killed as many 100+lb jumbo, nor do I know of anyone else who has. But then, I don't go around seeking out that type of info because I don't care. If you wish to compare him to the greatest names in African lore, then be my guest...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John S what do you mean, "I hope it not me",and if it is........

posted Hide Post
Try rereading that post and you'll find I compared CTB to Ruark and other writers, not to anyone else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really hate to see comparisons of historic (for arguments sake let's call it pre-1980) and present (everything since 1980) hunting acomplishments. The animals asside, the biggest difference has been the advancements of safari operations and transporation since.
There is a big difference and comparing the two side by side simply isn't fair to either. I'm not picking sides in this imaginary dog fight just stating an opinion.
That said, I still don't see this as a judging of the Pancotto's acomplishments. I do see it as a showing of appreciation, perhaps even envy of their oportunities realized! Anyone who makes an astounding accomplishment, whether on their 400th or first trip deserves recognition for doing so!
No wonder they don't want to go public!!!!!
horse

One of Us
posted Hide Post
capebuf

Nobody is comparing the Pancotto's to any current hunters reading comprehension goes a long way. You obviously have an agenda here to prove the Pancotto's are the best hunters of all time which ironically no one is arguing with you about but you continue to repeat yourself over and over. If you are on a mission to prove your opinions on the the Pancotto's you are doing it the wrong way. You sound more like a disgruntled old man than anything. What a shame. thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pauly3511 i dont have a agenda and its not a shame, just my stong opinion thats all..........

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
pissers
popcorn

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote