Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
A good read.

Conserving Hunters
November 2007
National Geographic

Strong supporters of land and wildlife conservation, hunters in the U.S. are in decline. Will a new generation take the field?

The ducks came up from the basement: An opening wave of mallards, numbering 4,744, followed by battalions of black ducks, mergansers, pintails, shovelers, ringnecks, and canvasbacks, with a rear guard of more than 6,000 Canada geese completing the flight. It would take most of a week for the mixed flock of 22,963 birds to conclude the last leg of a long migration, which had begun with autumn, stretched into winter, and ended here on a damp January morning at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife research center in Laurel, Maryland.

It might be more accurate to say that these were metaphorical ducks and geese, with one part standing for the whole creature, because by the time they appeared at the Maryland research station, all that remained of each teal or scaup was one frozen wing, segregated by species and stored in a basement freezer to await the 2006-07 Atlantic Flyway Wing Bee.

Norman Saake pulled a mallard wing out of a cardboard box, fanned it so that the bird’s steely blue speculum feathers flashed in the light, and broke into a smile. “You wonder how, after 30 years of doing this, a guy can get so excited about a pretty wing,†Saake said, holding it up for the admiration of three or four others scrutinizing wings at his table. They cooed like grandparents looking at baby pictures. Saake, a biologist retired from the Nevada Department of Wildlife, had crossed the continent for yet another wing bee, one of several such events crucial to the health of the nation’s waterfowl population.

Each wing told a story. By reading the feathers for a few seconds, a veteran like Saake could distinguish a mallard drake from a hen, a juvenile from an adult, a purebred mallard from a hybrid. After a week of sorting wings in Laurel, scientists could gauge if there were enough juveniles surviving in each species to replace adults in the population. Such surveys, combined with wing bee data and research from other regions, help resource managers determine how much hunting pressure each species can sustain from year to year. This is a prime consideration when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service sets its bag limits for the next hunting season—not only for waterfowl but also for woodcock, snipe, doves, and other federally protected migratory bird species.

“The age ratios really help show how a species is holding up,†said Paul Padding, the Atlantic flyway representative of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

The great irony is that many species might not survive at all were it not for hunters trying to kill them. All the wings provided to Norman Saake and his colleagues throughout the country come from hunters, who fold them into prepaid envelopes, record the date and place of harvest, and mail them in. It is but one example of how the nation’s 12.5 million hunters have become essential partners in wildlife management. They have paid more than 700 million dollars for duck stamps, which have added 5.2 million acres to the National Wildlife Refuge System since 1934, when the first stamps were issued. They pay millions of dollars for licenses, tags, and permits each year, which helps finance state game agencies. They contribute more than 250 million dollars annually in excise taxes on guns, ammunition, and other equipment, which largely pays for new public game lands. Hunters in the private sector also play a growing role in conserving wildlife.

Article continues

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Well written

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the white and black rhino is till around ? Could it have been because of hunters again.

Except for poachers as anyone in any recent time read or heard anything that hunters was responsible for the exitinction of any species ? When are they are going to get it in their heads ?

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Highly enjoyable with a lot of insight.

Comparing hunters to poachers is like comparing pharmacists to drug dealers, though. One is a member of and offers services to society, the other is an outlaw preying on and making a profit off the weak.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
mho,

I was not comparing poachers to hunters at all. But for the greenies we are all the same since we all kill animals in the end.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah sorry, my comment regarding hunters vs. poachers was about a section in the article, not about your post. Sorry that I did not make that clear.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be picking nits, however, I fail to see any connection between sport hunting and market hunting. I don't know what precentage of the rhino were killed by sport hunters and what precentage were killed by market hunters and farmers clearing their land, but I suspect the sport hunters shot the fewer numbers: rather like our bison; I doubt that anyone would argue that market hunting decimated the herds not sport hunting and that sport hunters have directly been responsible for the increase over the years. I remember Game Coin and the contributions by DSC and SCI to protect and relocate the rhino. Sport hunters gave the money to these groups that was donated.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote