New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit Cards Taxes and Airmiles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a friend who now pays all of his taxes through a credit card and uses the airmiles for lots of travel. I'd sure like to subsidize my African trips this way. His card is good (he says) for any airline at any time. Anybody on the forum ever do this? Thanks John W

Posts: 38 | Location: W.PA Rustbelt | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I pay for EVERYTHING with my credit card and then pay it off at the end of the month. The card is from MBNA and the air miles are good with any airline.

In three years I've almost got enough miles for a first class ticket to Africa!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I've seen the Capital One card advertised on TV. It says you can "Fly any airline, anytime with no blackout dates or seat restrictions"

Capital One

We have an AAdvantage credit card, of course American Airlines is no longer associated with SAA.

I thought about getting a Delta card, but SAA is switching it's alliance.

I found this website: Airline Credit Cards

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be a great way to accumulate miles. But you need to be aware that some (including the government) charge you a "convenience fee" or some other processing fee to use the card. In that case it may not make economic sense to use the card. Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I use the American Express "Rewards Plus" program and I just obtained a business class ticket through Delta for my hunt next June. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I have the Capitol One card and just exchanged 18,000 miles for a ticket to Reno next month. A simple phone call took care of it. I even gave them the airline/flights I wanted. Only other charge was $5 to the agency that handles the process. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys-I'm going to work on this deal for the next few days to see if it pans out. The three top contenders are: Capitol One, American Express Rewards and Chase. The standard fee for paying taxes via credit card is 2.49% and that's all I know so far. Thanks again and good hunting John W

Posts: 38 | Location: W.PA Rustbelt | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote