THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hassle with weight limits on flights??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hassle with weight limits on flights??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving for Namibia FRIDAY. Delta and SAA. Did any of you have a hard time with checked baggage etc from the airlines? I have a Cabelas alaskan rolling duffle size XL that weighs around 72lbs. Think I'll be OK? Also my carry on is about 12 lbs.Lots of stuff!
I want to bring walkie-talkies too, any trouble from anyone in W'Hoek?? Thanks Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, most American Airlines has imposed a 50 pound limit. Over 50 pounds is a surcharge for each leg. Over 100 pounds you must ship it as cargo.

Hope you can figure out a way around it

Checked Baggage - Domestic U.S. and International Flights
Allowances
Weight
Size
Baggage Types Allowed

Baggage:
Domestic U.S. Flights:
Items should not weigh more than 50 lbs. (approx. 22.5kg).

Items weighing between 51 and 100 lbs. (approx. 23 and 45kgs) will be charged an excess baggage fee.

Items over 100 lbs. (approx. 45kgs) will not be accepted.

International Flights:
Items should not weigh more than 70 lbs. (31.5kgs).

Items weighing between 70 and 100 lbs. (31.5 and 45kgs) will be charged an excess baggage fee.

Items over 100 lbs. (45kgs) will not be accepted. Items over size limits will be charged an excess baggage fee.

Items cannot exceed 62" or 157.5cm (length + height + width) limits.

Items over 80" or 203cm (length + height + width) will not be accepted. General:
Some packages, sporting goods, dangerous, fragile or bulky items may require special handling. For information on special items you want to carry on, go to the Special Baggage page.

Additional baggage may be accepted for an excess baggage fee. Luggage carts count toward your bag allowance.

We may limit the amount of excess baggage when such excess prevents us from carrying each traveler's free baggage allowance.

Delta's codeshare partners may have different guidelines and additional restrictions may apply on certain flights.

Domestic U.S. only:
Customers traveling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to 1 checked bag.

International only:
Checked baggage allowances differ to destinations beyond the continental United States. Passengers are encouraged to direct specific questions to the operating carrier and/or local government agency. This would include, but is not limited to, information regarding quarantines, baggage allowances, and excess charges.

With the exception of original factory-sealed boxes that will be accepted on a standby basis, Delta does not allow boxes as checked baggage to Central or South America (except Brazil, Mexico, and Chile) at any time of the year.

Additional destinations outside of the continental U.S. may also limit checked baggage during peak periods. Contact Delta at 800-241-4141 for peak periods.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The weight limit on International flights is 70 lbs and they do weigh the luggage, but not the carry on. Normally they will allow you to redistribute the weight to meet the requirements.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you allowed one or two small carry-ons now?

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
From SAA's website:

How many pieces of carry on baggage can I take onboard the aircraft?

THE FOLLOWING ARE CLASSIFIED AS CARRY-ON ITEMS:

• Handbag, pocket book or purse
• Overcoat, wrap or blanket
• Umbrella or walking stick
• Small camera and/ or binoculars
• Reading matter for flight, a reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight.
• Infant food for consumption during the flight
• Infant carry basket / carry cot
• Collapsible wheelchair / crutches
• Braces or prosthetic devices (provided the passenger is dependent on them)
• Briefcase or Portable PC, which is not being used as a container for transportation of articles, regarded as baggage - Exception: Laptop - Not to be activated without flight crews knowledge/concurrence
• Cell Phone - Exception: Not to be utilised during flight.

In addition to the above carry-on items, passengers are allowed one piece of hand Baggage with maximum dimensions: Length: 115cm (Length + Height + Width) and not weighing more than 7 Kg.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolf- Get it down to just under 70 and have the international weight limit policy on you and easily accessable. Sometimes we have to "go to the next level" but always get it through.On this site a couple of months ago it was reported that SAA was weighing carry-ons but were not enforcing the 15 pound limit.By the time my daypack is loaded with optics, toiletries, clothes, cameras, video, etc, it weighs 45+. I keep my two checked bags at ~65.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I think the carry on limit is 40 pounds. They do weigh the bags to be sure they are under the 70 limit. Last time I just made in at 69 pounds.

Giraffe Hunter

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Last month they weighted my check bags, my duffel was 73 pounds and my rifle case was 55 pounds. the girl at SAA counter said no problem on the 3 pounds over.
My carry on was all my cameras, (4) lenes, binos, video cameras and film. Wasn't weighed but I weighed it home at 38 pounds.

Good to keep the weight at or under the max...

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Hasn't anyone designed the "overweight flyer" travelling vest yet? You know, pockets for your laptop, camera lenses, bullets (for reloading at the camp), batteries, etc. Since you would be wearing it it wouldn't count as carry on.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
My Pelican cube holds just what I need and comes in @70lbs.I never had a problem with the rifle case with two scoped rifles.If I needed more room I could always pull the foam out of the gun case and put in clothes. If there is anything that I did not pack I either dont need it or can buy it there.Its cheaper to buy it there and give it away then pay the over weight charge.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, Yes, if you get the wrong ticket taker, you will be charged for the excess over 50 lbs, happens all the time...sometimes going, sometimes coming, sometimes both ways and if they are rushed then they may just pass it, so hit the busy time...

But the bottom line is your takeing way too much stuff for a Safari..2 or 3 changes of clothes is all you need as they are washed every day..actually 2 is plenty, but I take 3..

You one is taking a charter into camp, then be very light or you will end up buying a larger plane...

When I stay 60 days or better in Tanz. I take a large Cabellas medium suitcase that holds a ton of stuff, and tough case, small back pack carry on...

At the Seacliff in Dar I take everything out of the suitcase except what I need in camp and put that in the tough case and leave it in the hotel vault at no charge during my hunt..I take the guns in their soft cases and a much lightened suitcase with my pack inside it on the charter flight to camp....

You want to really peeve a PH, take a ton of crap on the charter flight, Most of the time, he needs that space for supplies as every charter flight brings somethin in and takes something out, it replenishes his camp to feed and care for you...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! I don't know what you guys are hauling to Africa but my gun case with 2 rifles and bvoots etc. is <40# and my duffle bag with 3 sets of clothes and ammo is less than that! My carryon with camera, shave kits,binos,etc. is 22# this stuff lasts me for a 10-12 day trip just fine.
On rerurn I toss the clothes and old boots out to the staff and fill my bag with Africana for home. Wyn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people on Delta and SAA, that had an obvious over-large carry-on that would not fit into the overhead compartment were forced to have them ticketed and shipped as checked luggage. Glad it wasn't me as I had all my optics and electronics in my carry-on. Those baggage handler gorillas treated checked carry-ons exactly like checked luggage...without regard for delicate contents.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
The reason my duffel is always right at the max is, I always bring gifts and goodies for the trackers and camp staff. that's the way I am, the trackers do a hell of a good job for me and I like to share snacks during the hunt. They really like it when I come over. My PH is a lover of M&M's so I bring him a few 5 pound bags.
This year I brought knives for the shinners and the trackers, the head Tracker, Alfred, I brought him a pair of boots.

On the return, my bags don't weigh half that! so, I pick up some gifts and a carving or two for my home

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote