Find
Notify
Tools

Dispatches from the Front
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted
So chaps, yer want an accountin'? Well, come in, have a seat and a glass. I say, this port of the Brigadier's is a spot of all right, what? Pvt Nancyball, go on over to HQ and see if you can badger another bottle out of his batman. By Jove, ever since the commander's "niece" showed up, the old boy's attention to detail is definitely slippin', don'tcherknow. O' course, we're all decidedly down the loo if he ever catches on, but for now let's make hay while the sun shines.

Jim and I flew t' Jo'berg, spent the night in Afton Guesthouse then took a charter flight t'the camp in Mozambique. Peet had laid on a tall blond pilot for us, he said, but the chittie brought her boyfriend along as well, so we b'haved ourselves admirably, even if I do say so myself. Things in Mozambique have improved much since my last report and the Customs johnny in Beira was polite, brisk, professional and quick, makin' no attempt to garner any bagsheesh from either of us. The next day, we climbed into the Unimog huntin' car. I tell you lads, that thing is so high that it's just like ridin' the howdah in a diesal elephant, snortin', growlin' and fartin' over the landscape. The rains had been especially heavy that year so we had to deal with grass over 8 feet high.

In spite of the bad visibility, on the first afternoon, Jim shot a fine warthog and I nailed a bushpig with the .318. Absolutely flattened, by Jove, truly smashin' performance.

The next day was the hardest huntin' day of the 45 years I've spent chasin' critters. I'd taken a Larium the evening before 'cause of the malarial area we were in and I swear that I'll never do that again. We rose at 3:00 a.m. to reach the edge of the swamp by dawn. Switchin' over from the Unimog to the amphibious Argo, we headed out into the wet. There're several rivers that cross the marsh grass that support great stands of papyrus. When yer drive through them, the Argo kicks up the decayin' plant matter under water. So add to my Larium-nausea the smell of rottin' papyrus, one of the truly foul reeks in all o'nature. It began t'get hot and the hotter it got, the sicker I got. Finally after hours of draggin' through that murk, we came within sight of the buffalo. This year it was Jim's turn t'shoot first and his .375 (God Save the Queen of Calibers!) barked from behind a stand of tall reeds and the best bull in the herd died without any difficulty. Marius, our PH, tried to put me on another one much like it but I was so shakey and pale, I could neither find the one he was talkin' about nor hold the front sight of my .404 on it anyway. The buffalo moved on. After a bit of a breeze came up, I began t'feel better so we continued our stalk, but this time the brutes were alert. When, after a 200 yard crawl, I finally sighted the oldest buff in Mozambique I took a good sight over the sticks and spitted the old boy down the brisket at around 110 yards. He took offense and with blood pourin' out his mouth and nose came after me. So I shot him again. This seemed to really rile him and at that time Marius decided that things had gone on bloody long enough, thank-yer, and spined the animal at 25 yards so's I could finish him off. Stimulatin' it was, stimulatin'.

We loaded the heads and as much meat as would fit into the Argo and headed back to camp, arrivin' around 9:00 p.m. I took a shower and went to bed, sleepin' an uncharacteristic 10 hours but woke feelin' much better. After a day's rest t'recover, we continued the hunt. Jim shot the oldest warthog Mozambique t'go with my ancient buff and, after kickin' m'self fer not bustin' a hoggie with tucks in full semi-circles, I finally used the .318 on my first bushbuck. All I could see was his head and neck so I shot a bit high and drilled the little bugger between the eyes at about 60 yards. Made a mess of the skull, I can tell yer, but the skullcap and cape were still sound so's he'll make a fine mount.

After flyin' back to Jo'burg for a night, it was on t'Natal for a ranch hunt. Havin' gotten kudu and eland in Zim in '97 a nyala was an absolute must. Lads, if it's nyala yer after, Nomad Safaris are the fellers t'go see. The first night out we saw seven shootable bulls whilst just drivin' around explorin'. We also wanted zebra and though we hunted hard for a week, the demned clown horses stayed in the thornbush. Fer those who think that ranch huntin' is easy, yer just go out on Kerneel Van der Welt's 27,000 acres of thorn and give it a try. There're 6-700 zebra on that ranch and we managed t'see four and shoot none! Eventually, Jim collected blesbuck, mountain reedbuck, hartebeest and a fine impala. Unfortunately, I had somehow managed t'bugger the front blade of the Greener so I had t'continue my hunt with the .404. Chaps, the big girl did yeoman duty, flattenin' a blesbuck at about 100 yards dead before it hit the ground. I understand that it takes 15" to make the SCI book on that species. Mine is 17 1/4".

Finally, on the last day, we once again found nyala, lots of nyala. M'PH, Gary, allowed that the last one was old, big and had smashin' ivory on the tips so I collected him t'complete m'first set of the Spiral Horns. Most gratifyin', don'tcherknow.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great job Sarge. I enjoyed your rendition. Welcome back from such a stimulatin' safari.

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Sarge may have accidentally posted links to the thumbnail images instead of the full size images in his post. Until he has a chance to edit his post, here's the full size images.

Just trying to be helpful...

-Bob F.

Edited to add: Photos fixed. My links deleted.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge,

Great report, story and writing style!! The photos are great!!! I love the Bushbuck and I'm very jealous of the Nyala!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Thanx, Bob, that's what I wanted in the first place. Now, what did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge,

That was simply a topping account. May all your hunts go so well.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
O.K., now I understand how it should be done. Very cool, just not quite intuitional enough for this old brain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jolly good, by jove.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well done sir! And a fine tale to boot!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well done Sarge, that is a grand blesbok! Great pics as well. I'm off to Moz. in 11 short days, report to follow.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Terrific account.

Thanks for sharing.

Kyler

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Smashing report ol' chap, just smashing .

Congrats on a great hunt!!!!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Not half bad old chap!

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Martin

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spot of all right, what? Good show.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I like the sepia photographs. Jolly good idea, Old Chap.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Most entertaining, Oldsarge! Looks like a wonderful hunt and you did a swell job on your report.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Woowwwwww !!! Whay a report!!!!
Thanks for the story and pictures, that's the kind of cape buffalo I dream with

Your pictures are very cool, I also have sepia pictures from my trip but I haven't been able to post them

Congratulations!!!
Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jolly good show, Old Bean! Dicey good spiff with M'bogo too!

Funny that the same kind of malaise hit me the second day in Botswana. I was on Malarone. I think it was just the final adjustment to jet lag. I felt great the first day on the ground, yukko the second day, then I was recharged and rarin' to hunt the rest of my 2 weeks there. Jet lag.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Sarge,

Congratulations on your safari. A .318 WR and .404 Jeff! Traditional and effective, what?

Now, for your next safari, may I suggest Abyssinia and Tanganyika? A .256 Mannlicher and .425 WR should do nicely!

Excellent!

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote