Find
Notify
Tools

Sound of thunder
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted
It has been months since I've heard it and I can clearly hear outside I dont know if it's going to rain but it's a good sign at least and hopefully some relief for the heat. Big Grin

My brother will be very happy since he is leaving for Dubai tomorow for a 2 year contract and I doubt he will see a lot of it over there.

Some places in the country really needs the rain at the moment hope they can get some.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Same here in central Texas. We haven't had any rain since May. That makes it the 2nd driest summer in 120 years. The dirt in the fields is like talc powder.

The weather people are predicting our 1st rain early next week.

Hope they are right.

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Fredrik,

I have just watched the SABC TV weather forecast: No hope for rain soon here in the western Free State!
thumbdown
Good news is that the pattern seems to have changed, in your neck of the woods at least! I do hope we get good rain soon here in the central and western, in fact all of, the Free State.

The fact is that good rain at the right time is critical for the successful breeding of terrestrial game birds. And good numbers of game birds by season opening time – that is next May - is critical for my well-being. Big Grin Also for the good health of my two GSP’s! But not only the terrestrial birds need rain – all the natural pans in my area are dried up – hence no waterfowl in this region at all! Mad I sure hope this cahanges before to start of the wing shooting season.

At least, judging by the condition of a few blesbuck hunted by clients last week, the grassveldt antelope seem to still be fine. But peak lambing / calving season is around the corner; Mothers without enough green grass does not produce enough milk for their young! That means more sick/dying calfs & lambs for the jackalls!

I find it quite amazing how everyone takes everything for granted - until the rains are very late, like this year! It then suddenly hits you that everything depends on rain at the right time!

On the bright side is the fact that I’ve not yet had to mow my lawn. I really don't enjoy not having to spend so much time pushing a lawn mower back and forth – and dry grass does not grow well, so no need to mow my lawn yet. For the long term good of all involved in the hunting industry I do hope this soon changes! We need early summer rains to get those tick eggs to hatch into those pesty little pepper ticks that can chew your ba^%$ off when hunting whith late season clients! Wink

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
It was just a teazer no rain just a bit of an electrical storm maybe just maybe today. clap

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I went out culling Blesbok last night, after taking the first on with my trusty silinced 22 hornett it started raining and we had to return to the butchery. Half an hour later the stars where out and we went out againgetting another two when we saw the lightning set the feld on fire and so home we went to get the fire fighters on the pick ups and fighting fires.

So yes rain and thunder has its up and down sides

"Shoot it again if it mooves, it will save you a long walk"

Wimpie le Roux
072 944 7349

Posts: 5 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 29 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
We had about 3mm last week, but the Lowveld is absolutely parched and in desperate need of some good rains.......... Also had some terrible fires this year. Confused

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I TOLD YOU GUYS SABIE IS ON ITS OWN PLANET lol

Whe had some rain about 35mm and its getting green just a pity all the pine trees burned down the natural bush is perfect and was not damadged by the fires it made the forestry companies realize the importance of natural bush

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote