Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Cameras for African Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
On my last hunting trip, I would have loved to have a way to record what I saw through my scope a few times. Not just a great shot but I was going to take a shot to put a wounded Blesbok down but the long-legged Jack Russel jumped into my scope and wrestled the last minute of life out of the Bleskbuck - dust in the air - it was a great memory.

I see things like phone scope or Tactacam. Does anyone have any experiences and recommendations?

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
I think a GoPro would be more practical.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I am researching GoPro and they o make a mount that attaches to the barrel, but I want to capture the image through the scope and use the magnification through the scope. I did find one mount for $1200 but that it expensive.

Anyone mount a GOPro to use there sight optics or have any other recommendations?

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GoPro has a very wide field of view (the narrowest is 90 degrees). Not ideal for distant points of interest. You might want to look at a number of GoPro clips on YouTube to get an idea.

Also, clipping anything to your rifle will become problematic when stalking. Plus it is one more distraction when hunting.

This is why most pay for a dedicated videographer.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
On my last hunting trip, I would have loved to have a way to record what I saw through my scope a few times. Not just a great shot but I was going to take a shot to put a wounded Blesbok down but the long-legged Jack Russel jumped into my scope and wrestled the last minute of life out of the Bleskbuck - dust in the air - it was a great memory.

I see things like phone scope or Tactacam. Does anyone have any experiences and recommendations?

Jim

I have looked a couple of scope that have a video or picture ability. from the demo I received you can turn the record on and then shut it down later or it auto turnoff after a short time. The video clip I watched was clear and interesting to look at. The pricing is up there and you will have to do your home work on what you are looking for. some have built in memory and also take a mini card, and I do not remember the size it would take. I am thinking 64GB which is a lot of recording. The power source is something to consider as one was a rechargeable and other one accepted batteries. So if you carry along an external power pack you should be fine.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check out this

https://www.tactacam.com/uses/

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Aaron, do you have any experience with tactacam?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have seen a number of these devices.

They are all just plane silly, and cannot replace a small camera one can carry in his pockets while hunting.

That is what I do.

Non of what is available is worth it, including the one on the link Aaron has posted.

The specs says 3x zoom, I bet that is digital, which would be of horrible quality.

Even if it was optical, it falls way shot of providing decent magnification.

Add to the fact you will have attached to your rifle.

I like to have as little on my rifle as I can.

I don't even have slings on mine!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
Aaron, do you have any experience with tactacam?

No I don't...I'm just aware of them as an option. Never used one personally!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68589 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we use the tacticam on our dart guns, nice video out to 30 yards. ATN makes a scope with digital video but its a monster on top of your rifle.

Posts: 1092 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the suggestions.