New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post Safari Depression (PSD)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife and I figured it out last night. We have been in auwful mood since we got home,and "nothing" seems to make us happy except the thought of going to Africa.

Then we remembered that we seemed to suffer from this last year too.

It just seems that next May 2002, IS SO FAR AWAY, that we just can't endure life until then.

Christmas is 167 days away, and "who cares"?

But April 20 2002 is 277 days away, and that is IMPORTANT.

To those of you that have never been there, you can only hope you get to suffer like we do from PSD.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry...it's almost unbelievable to others who haven't been to Africa but it's true. Hunting the animals is actually the least of the things I miss. I love the feeling of just "being in Africa". Our society here in America has become so bland (I live in California where it probably the worst of anywhere except maybe NYC) and predictable that I am really beginning to feel out of place. I love the people in Africa...their hope, their uncompomising spirit and optimism, the fact that they are not all alike and the fact that when they are talking to you they aren't thinking of a way to sell you something...insurance, religion, etc. They really seem to have the spirit of doing whatever it takes to get the job done....men and women. I especially enjoy talking to the old-timers, and not just those in the safari business, about what it was like in the "good-old-days". What a wonderful place!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Don't feel bad, I've now been suffering similarly for almost 3 years now, and the 'cure' would seem to be several years away yet!

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Me too, Terry.

Unfortunately the next trip is at least 5 years away - and that is probably optimistic.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW....... There are others!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
Terry
For years, when I left camp at the end of the season I would be melanacholy wandering if this would be the last time I would experience Africa again. I did not go last year or this year either. Only those who have been there understand the "withdrawel" syndrome.
George

<allen day>
posted
Gentlemen, I understand your melancholy. There is no other place in the world like Africa, and those warm feelings we have for that continent cannot be properly understood by anyone who has not been there.

What bothers me the most about African hunting is that I simply don't enjoy other forms of hunting as much as I used to anymore. Africa is first in my heart when I start planning for another hunt. I live in dread of the time when, for whatever reason, I will no longer be able to go on safari. I hope that day is a long way off....

AD

<SafariOfTheMind>
posted
Ooooh yah. I'm experiencing it right now and it's only been 2 weeks. Even started asking questions about leopards and things...

Africa gets under your skin. What I can never get out of my mind is the southern sky full of stars and the incredible sunsets. Also the feeling that you never know what you are going to see around the next bend. Love it, love it, love it!

RJ

<Harald>
posted
I'm glad to know its not just me! My brother and I were talking a week or so after we got back when he, almost in an embarassed way, confessed to feeling the blues ever since we touched down in the US. I had it bad too. It all happened too fast. It didn't seem like it at the time, but all the months of anticipation and then the shock of realization that its really happening - I'm actually here in Africa (it was my first safari) - flowed into what seemed like a timeless hunting trip, until one day it was over and we had to go back home. I think the only cure is to plan another trip, even if only in your imagination at first.

<JohnDL>
posted
It seems the more things change, the more they remain the same. Ruark wrote about being quite depressed after returning to New York after his first safari--and this was almost 50 years ago.

<10point>
posted

There hasnt been a day since ive been back when I havnt thought of it. Sometimes I sit in my living room at night looking at my mounts and just dream.

I'll never be "Truly Happy" again unless Im in Africa........10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, all that's been said is right on the money ! The sunsets and sunrises here in New York leave me callow and longing for the those African dusks sitting in a hide as the fauna gather, and the Namibian dawn reflecting across the sea of tall grass, blinding me as if surrounded by a shimmering snow field.

[This message has been edited by KuduKing (edited 06-23-2001).]

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, PSD gets worse with time unless treated. To date, the only effective treatment is a return trip to Africa.

I was hiking and backpacking in East Africa in 1987, and was already suffering from PSD and planning a return trip on the plane home. To point out how strong PSD is, I was supposed to return to hunt Africa in 1996, when I was supposed to take my wife and daughter, but a business associate ripped me off for $39,000 dollars. There went my Safari, and nearly my house as well. To add insult to injury, I lost a $3500 hunt deposit too, as the PH I had choosen was not 100% ethical. All in all, a bad year for trusting people and an experience that should have cured PSD for ever. Unfortunately, it only made it worse.

After five years, I am now only 7 weeks from Africa, and am still looking over my shoulder for the train, but the PSD seems to be almost gone (until I get back)!!!

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got it so bad I find my zest for hunting N. American species is waning, something I never thought possible. I've ceased to dream of mountain muleys, giant northern whitetails, summer days and woodchucks .... impossible but true.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeeez whats wrong with you guys? AFRICA SUCKS,

I would rather be out rocking in my rocking chair and knitting bootes for the orphans home..

I went to the ballet yesterday and then I had lunch at the club, after that I went to choir practice and gave a speech at the ladies for the protection of wild animals reunion..

Since I have joined the rest of the world, and learned to enjoy the arts, my life has improved considerably..no more mosquitos and Tetsi fly bites, no tick feaver, no having to listen to ignorant gun discussions or assinine Aussies raising hell, or about hair raising charges of poor dumb animals or some dumb SOB wanting to shoot Buffalo with a 45-70..

Life been good, these days since the damn wogs closed Zambia and turned my life around.

So quit your damn whining and join me in my little revolt and become an anti...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You big Ole Liar ... you're dyin too!!

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
I am taking the cure for PSD today. I leave for Zimbabwe in about one hour. Sorry, but my bags are full - no room for stowaways. See you guys in about a month.

Take care,
Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted

That old bugger would probably outshoot, outwalk, outfight, outwomanize, outdrink, and outhunt any of us.

And I bet they had to get 4 guy's to drag him onto the plane, and the only reason he let them is cause it was a non-stop to Texas.............10

posted Hide Post
10Point,
He's just sitting there smilen, staring at the tube and wondering what he's gonna lay on us next. Someday I'm going on a buffalo hunt with this guy ... maybe Hoffman will come along too ... sounds like fun.

Hey Jim .. if your still there ... have a wonderful time. Try to get a decent buff this time eh?

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 06-24-2001).]

<George Hoffman>
posted
RAY,
PPLLEEaassee......Do Not,,,,I repeat Do Not send to me any of, what ever, you have been taking lately.
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
My wife told me to tell you that Post Safari Depression has not made it to the DSM IV. I have had it. There is only one cure. We all know what it is. I leave July 13 for Vic Falls and a little hunting in RSA; and have already arranged a trip to Namibia for next year. This is the only way to get by from year to year.

Ray,
You got to get off that Hadicol and back on sourmash. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best thing of all about this PSD, is that my wife has it too.

THANK GOODNESS she does, or she would most likely pack my packs and tell me to go away or she would leave me.

I would not live with me for long.

She has had OUR bags repacked for 2 weeks already.

She has resupplied all the little things that need to go along. All our stuff is in big Tuper Ware tubs marked his and hers. She inventories everything,and could leave in an hour if I said, NOW>.

Such a deal I have, only 271 days to go.

We could have gone out for dinner Saturday night, but stayed home and put the $50 in the Africa fund.

We could have stopped for lunch on the way home from the Gun Club Sunday, but made sandwiches etc, and had a picnic instead, another $10+ for the fund.

The fact neither of us smokes alone buys us a plane ticket each year.

($4.00 a day for 365 = $1460.00)

We drive an old car that is paid for..
The interest alone on a $20,000 loan is $1800 or a Kudu and a Wildebeest.

And that is just the interest, now add on the principal payment of $5,000 a year. That is one fine 7-10 package hunt.

The OLD house we live in is paid for.
EVERYTHING boils down to how to having enough /more money to go to Africa with.

It all come down to choices and priorities.

Thank God for those golfers and boaters, it keeps them off the rifle range.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get a group up with you and George and whoever else wants to go and skip off to Tanzania for Buffalo, you guys could hunt while I did the cooking, reading one of the classics and played a little golf...

We need to get George all healed up and haired over and put together a Safari group, any thoughts on this George and Nick?????

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray,
At this moment, I simply can't conjure up a finer thought than the mere prospect of a Tanzania buffalo hunt in the company of Ray Atkinson and George Hoffman. I'm all ears!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray.... sounds really good. Do I need to buy some knickers and wear a tie? I guess I could have my Lazzeroni restocked in walnut.
I'm ready!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There seems to be no cure but to return. I did find a cure for no getting excited about north american game. My son and daughter love to hunt and are just getting started. Ive become a full time guide for them. Who was it that said `once you have hunted elephant you cant take any other form of sport seriously.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
I thought Lazzaroni was Italian food?

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck< I thought acute Lazzaroni was something you caught in Africa.

------------------

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Enough of this crap. I'm depressed everyday about not being there. You guys are only making it worse.

I'm outa' here. I have to go find a towel to cry in.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will,
You're on the list to go with all the "over fifty" guys. Start saving some $. We are paired up for a 2 x 1 in Tarangire.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nickudu:

Thanks for the invite. Count me in. 2001 or 2002? From your pic in the Barnes catalog, you don't qualify for the over 50 crowd. Are you going as a baby-sitter for old men?!!

I want some good Idaho cooking. I'll need to try my new Lott on them sissy buff. I'd even forego my annual elephant hunt for a chance at this. I need to go back to Tanzania.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nickudu:
Nick,
If you wait till Feb 2002 I'll qualify for the 50 part and would be good to go. I miss the smells in the air and the good nature of the local people. They can just about loose their life one minute and are laughing and joking about it the next. The guys we were out with just loved to hunt no other words for it. All our travel was in dugout canoes and we got rammed in the river by Hippos twice. Listening to the Hippos in the river at night while sitting by the fire having a drink and shinning the flashlight in the river,seeing croc eyes reflecting the light back and the sound of the odd Lion roar at night is like a magnet. To meet and hunt with you guys and George would be an honour. Ray I think you would have to send some of that home cooking up here to be sampled you may end up having to hunt rather than cook. George you must return even if we have to pack you. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will,
I turn 55 October 13th .. thanks for the ego boost. I forgot to mention here that the Barnes folks were nice enough to stick me in their catalog. I am in the new Barnes #3 loading manual also .. .358 Winchester.
Should you want my .458 Lott load data just let me know.

470 Mbogo,
I don't think you know enough about big bore rifles to hang with this group sonny. Bone up on things and reapply after your next birthday, kid. 2002 is good for me ... two weddings for two sons this year. Does this sound like fun or what?

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 06-27-2001).]

posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

Saeed just emailed me. It seems Walter is coming with us but we have to pick him up in Abu Dhabi on our way over. He has already started to put together some new clothing ensembles for the trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
George and I will have to make up some "suger tits" for all you youngsters..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ray

You've been watching too many John Wayne movies.

<Tsukudu>
posted
Well, I will be leaving for Thabazimbi in the morning and will only return next week Thursday. For me it is only a three and a half hour drive, but even that feels like 24 hour flight. I will be hunting Kudu, Bluewildebees, Eland, Gemsbuck, Impala, wharthog, etc, etc. How boring can life get!

Cheers, gotta think of tomorrow!

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I was going with you. I was there a month ago, and it was wonderful.

Shoot one for me.

------------------

<10point>
posted

Nobody does a striptease like Walter, its one of my faveorite video clips............10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good we'll make Walter the camp Sally.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com