New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have hunted Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe a few times.
Now I thouhgt I would like to try Zambia. Is there good buff in Zambia? Any recommendations?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Go for it Bob! tu2

Talk to John Barth (361-852-0537) about hunting with Alistair Norton.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a bunch of 40+ buff in the Luangwa valley areas with John DuPlooy of Muchinga last year, and I heard they pulled a 46-47" out during the season.

I have hunted with Alister in the past and he is a fun guy to hunt with as well.

Zambia is a bit more expensive than Zim, but a great country to hunt.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Our trophy exporter Mike Borman reckons some of the best buffalo (also Eland) combining age and horn length come out of Nkala GMA in the Kafue.

The hunting here is conducted by the good man Greg Michelson who does have buff quota.

The advantage of the Kafue over the Luangwa would be the variety of desirable PG - Eland, Hartebeest, Puku, Oribi etc Also you are hunting a plateau and the temperatures are cooler. In addition you could tack on a Kafue Lechwe.

That would be my tip

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I saw a bunch of 40+ buff in the Luangwa valley areas with John DuPlooy of Muchinga last year, and I heard they pulled a 46-47" out during the season.

I have hunted with Alister in the past and he is a fun guy to hunt with as well.

Zambia is a bit more expensive than Zim, but a great country to hunt.

Mr. Butler there are quite a few willing to cut some deals here and it is well worth shopping around.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure you would steer him right also, but I try and only make recommendations on personal experience!

Keeps life simpler.

Frankly, buffalo and cat hunting isn't getting any cheaper, but it is worth it.

Zambia is a great destination.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figure you would steer him right also, but I try and only make recommendations on personal experience!

Keeps life simpler.

Absolutely Mr. Butler and Johnny has one of the finest big game concessions in the Luangwa valley. Get in early to beat the heat and the late season resident hunters.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Keeps life simpler.

Absolutely Mr. Butler and Johnny has one of the finest big game concessions in the Luangwa valley. Get in early to beat the heat and the late season resident hunters.

And your area is busy with buff
Andrew.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave1:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Keeps life simpler.

And your area is busy with buff
Andrew.

dave1,

All my buff are tied in with other hunts and beside by buff are OK but not great,

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Highly recommend Greg Michelson, leopardridge@hotmail.com,

Greg is hunting the

Nkala game management area (GMA) which lies on the eastern boundary of the Kafue National Park. Nkala is bounded by a second concession we hunt which is the Namwala GMA which also lies on the eastern boundary of the Kafue Park.

Great rates
Great Ph

Cheers

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Highly recommend Greg Michelson, leopardridge@hotmail.com,

Greg is hunting the

Nkala game management area (GMA) which lies on the eastern boundary of the Kafue National Park. Nkala is bounded by a second concession we hunt which is the Namwala GMA which also lies on the eastern boundary of the Kafue Park.

Great rates
Great Ph

Cheers

Then that would be the second vote for Greg.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zambia, my favorite hunting country in Africa!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a bunch of safaris in Nkala as an appy in 2012. It's a neat place. I believe it's the smallest GMA in Zambia, and it's very close to villages and the town of Itezhi-Tezhi, which is sort of a mixed blessing. It's a perfect place for a 7-day buffalo hunt, though, especially in the May through July period.

There are lots of buffalo, though the herd will sometimes move back into the park. During the first part of the season, the buffalo hunting is primarily herd-based and is easy and hugely fun. You should be on tracks at first light nearly every morning. We took a lot of hard-bossed bulls in the 39-41 inch range when I was there. Later in the season, the buffalo spend most of their time in the park, around Lake Itezhi-Tezhi (a reservoir), but one can still hunt dugga boys in the thickets--tough but rewarding hunting.

The eland herd comes into the GMA around the same time that the buffalo herd moves out--September-ish. They're beautiful Livingstone's eland, and the hunting can involve lots of walking and tracking, as is typical for eland hunting.

Nkala also has some very nice sable--not a lot of them, but enough that they're a worthwhile target animal for one or two clients per season. Blue wildebeest, zebra, Crawshay's defassa waterbuck, oribi, Lichtenstein's hartebeest, and Chobe bushbuck were all readily available. When I was there, the reedbuck had been hammered pretty badly by the resident hunters, but that was nearly four years ago, so things are likely much improved. Kudu are available, though not in great abundance. Maybe three good ones will be shot all season. I saw one bull that was in the high, high fifties. It was also a decent place to find a Sharpe's grysbok, though we never had a hunter take one while I was there. Hippo hunting is tough (assuming they're even on quota this year), but one can get one for bait if not too choosy. Unlike in some GMAs in the Kafue, one stands a pretty good chance of shooting a bushpig or a hyena in Nkala. It's not a guaranteed thing, but the odds are relatively good.

Nkala is not a bad place for leopard. If you go there looking for one, you will most likely get one. We took a good lion in 2012, but there aren't any resident lions--just ones that pass through every now and then. The last lion taken there before 2012 was a young cat shot maybe two years prior--a serious mistake on the part of the game farm owner acting as the PH on the safari. It's just not a lion destination.

In sum, Nkala is a great spot for a 7-14 day safari, especially if you're wanting to shoot a nice buffalo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
I did a bunch of safaris in Nkala as an appy in 2012. It's a neat place. I believe it's the smallest GMA in Zambia, and it's very close to villages and the town of Itezhi-Tezhi, which is sort of a mixed blessing. It's a perfect place for a 7-day buffalo hunt, though, especially in the May through July period.

There are lots of buffalo, though the herd will sometimes move back into the park. During the first part of the season, the buffalo hunting is primarily herd-based and is easy and hugely fun. You should be on tracks at first light nearly every morning. We took a lot of hard-bossed bulls in the 39-41 inch range when I was there. Later in the season, the buffalo spend most of their time in the park, around Lake Itezhi-Tezhi (a reservoir), but one can still hunt dugga boys in the thickets--tough but rewarding hunting.

The eland herd comes into the GMA around the same time that the buffalo herd moves out--September-ish. They're beautiful Livingstone's eland, and the hunting can involve lots of walking and tracking, as is typical for eland hunting.

Nkala also has some very nice sable--not a lot of them, but enough that they're a worthwhile target animal for one or two clients per season. Blue wildebeest, zebra, Crawshay's defassa waterbuck, oribi, Lichtenstein's hartebeest, and Chobe bushbuck were all readily available. When I was there, the reedbuck had been hammered pretty badly by the resident hunters, but that was nearly four years ago, so things are likely much improved. Kudu are available, though not in great abundance. Maybe three good ones will be shot all season. I saw one bull that was in the high, high fifties. It was also a decent place to find a Sharpe's grysbok, though we never had a hunter take one while I was there. Hippo hunting is tough (assuming they're even on quota this year), but one can get one for bait if not too choosy. Unlike in some GMAs in the Kafue, one stands a pretty good chance of shooting a bushpig or a hyena in Nkala. It's not a guaranteed thing, but the odds are relatively good.

Nkala is not a bad place for leopard. If you go there looking for one, you will most likely get one. We took a good lion in 2012, but there aren't any resident lions--just ones that pass through every now and then. The last lion taken there before 2012 was a young cat shot maybe two years prior--a serious mistake on the part of the game farm owner acting as the PH on the safari. It's just not a lion destination.

In sum, Nkala is a great spot for a 7-14 day safari, especially if you're wanting to shoot a nice buffalo.

The size of Nkala has been increased greatly! 2016 will see the southern boundary extended significantly to include a large portion of the northern section of the Bilili GMA as well as a large section of the lake shore of the massive Itezhi-tezhi dam. This will increase the huntable area of Nkala significantly. Now, we will see what benefit that will include?

I've known/worked with Greg for over 15 years - a very good guy who always runs a good operation.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:

The size of Nkala has been increased greatly! 2016 will see the southern boundary extended significantly to include a large portion of the northern section of the Bilili GMA as well as a large section of the lake shore of the massive Itezhi-tezhi dam. This will increase the huntable area of Nkala significantly. Now, we will see what benefit that will include?

I've known/worked with Greg for over 15 years - a very good guy who always runs a good operation.

Great summary! Any reports on the other GMA, Namwala?

Posts: 1886 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
NAMWALA

Namwala is situated immediately north of Nkala and shares a 14km boundary with the Kafue Park along the Kafue River. It is a large concession, approximately 250 000 acres of hunting area. Namwala is famous for its big leopard and sable. The SCI #1 sable was taken on the Namwala boundary. There is also a healthy population of buffalo up until late August when they migrate northwards. Hippo and crocodile are abundant along the Kafue River and good populations of plainsgame are found throughout the concession.
Namwala offers its clients a top end safari camp, tented sleeping accommodations, and thatched dining/entertainment area. Solar power supplies 220V electricity 24 hours and the camp also has a Wi-Fi facility.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I would say that Nkala is a great Lion destination and we used to come across some brutes on the road from Iteshi Iteshi to Mulobezi. Anywhere there is a good population of Buffalo there is Lion.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Nkala is bigger now, then that significantly changes the analysis regarding lion. I saw some young ones in the area but only saw two shooters, and they were passing through. We killed one of them. In its previous layout, it was too small for lion to be consistent, as there were no resident cats. Yes, there were lions following the buffalo every now and then, but we never saw a good one in the group. But a lot can change in a few years, and the recent enlargement of the area probably makes a huge difference. My information is definitely dated.

I also spent time working in Namwala. I agree that it has some serious sable and big leopards. It's also not a bad place to shoot a big croc and a hippo. It's a beautiful, beautiful area--probably the prettiest place I hunted while in Zambia, and I had the good fortune of working in some very nice country. The elevation varies a fair amount, and there are lots of kopjes. The river is especially pretty there, with some nice rock formations and falls in places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey while we are on Zambia does anyone know how Leon's new operation turned out? I forget the name but it is a community area in the Luangwa that bordered L. Lupande and Sandwe if I remember correctly.

Posts: 1886 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While we are on Zambia I'm going back in June if my boss at work gives me the OK in the morning. Excited to say the least and it will be cooler than November.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
NAMWALA

Namwala is situated immediately north of Nkala and shares a 14km boundary with the Kafue Park along the Kafue River. It is a large concession, approximately 250 000 acres of hunting area. Namwala is famous for its big leopard and sable. The SCI #1 sable was taken on the Namwala boundary. There is also a healthy population of buffalo up until late August when they migrate northwards. Hippo and crocodile are abundant along the Kafue River and good populations of plainsgame are found throughout the concession.
Namwala offers its clients a top end safari camp, tented sleeping accommodations, and thatched dining/entertainment area. Solar power supplies 220V electricity 24 hours and the camp also has a Wi-Fi facility.

How big was the no one sable? length??

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Hey while we are on Zambia does anyone know how Leon's new operation turned out? I forget the name but it is a community area in the Luangwa that bordered L. Lupande and Sandwe if I remember correctly.

i saw him the other day and he was heading up there this morning i think. still finalizing things from what he said, but hopefully nearly there.

Posts: 81 | Location: uk and zambia | Registered: 27 December 2015Reply With Quote