THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Daantjie van Vuuren killed by poachers

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daantjie van Vuuren killed by poachers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On a sad note just before christmas.
Daantjie was shot and killed on thursday night by poachers.
What is a life worth nowadays? May he rest in peace!

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry to hear this. Have the poachers been apprehended?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh My ... very, very sad news. My condolensces to the family.

I have a friend named Peter Van Vuuren that was a post-Doc at Virginia Tech with me when I went through graduate school. A simply wonderful fellow. He was from So. Africa. I wonder if they are related.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know nothing of this victim, will some one fill in back ground?

Within what area of which nation?

Also, was this murder perpetrated while the offenders were in the midst of a poaching operation?

Was the victim about to arrest them?

So many questions...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is very sad, was it Daantje van Vuuren who was bitten by a black mamba in the past???

Posts: 68 | Location: Holland(Netherlands) | Registered: 22 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
i have found the article in the republican ( die republiekein, namibian newspaper for today)
according to the newspaper mr van vuuren was asked to kil 2 problem elle in kalkveld area, he left the lodge he was working at, at aprrox 0100 am. on his way to his parents farm to fetch his weapons he came across poachers and was shot by a .308 rifle in the abdomen. he was left next to the side of the road and was found later in the morning. his attackers fled in his vehicle as well. at this stage it is an assumption that it was poachers, as there were 2 other farm attacks in the same area in the past six months. no suspects but the police are investigating
the article is in afrikaans and can be found at
http://www.republikein.com.na/content/nuus/2006/Dec/08_bekende.php

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something here? Where I come from, getting stopped in car and shot and the perps taking off in the vechicle is called "Car Jacking", they may in fact have been poachers, but I don't see that as the main issue in the crime.
I have no idea who this individual was.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
he was a well known big game hunter in namibia.
as far as the car jacking is concerned, he was found next to a deserted road in a rural/ country area basically just game ranches all around. it is assumed that he spotted something next to the road, stopped to investigate and then came across suspects busy poaching, the newspaper doesnt give more details but the police suspect thats what it is. also the firearm used was a .308, not the weapon of choice for car jackings....

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ndlovu: also the firearm used was a .308, not the weapon of choice for car jackings....

Unless it was an AK-74 chambered in .308. Just a thought.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
true, but i have yet to come across a criminal in south africa with a custom made AK 47.....

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
No, that's not what I meant. If I am not mistaken, AK-47's are chambered in .223 and AK-74's (NOT AK-47) are (or can be) chambered in .308.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
the AK 47 is a 7.62 x 39. the .308 is a 7.62 x 51 ( casing length differs) the ak 74 is a .223 ( same as m4 or r5 ( south african) military weapons)
so it would be an AK 47 with one hell of a modification.....

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
My mistake, I meant to say that the AK 47 was .308 and the AK 74 was .223, but then I still would have been a little off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AKM / AK-47 is not actually 7,62 is it...?

is it not 7.7 (.311/.312)? Although some arms chambered for the 7,62 x 39 are actually 7.62/.308 (newer?) while others are 7.7/.311?

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
as far as i know, the akm is a souped up version of the ak74, thus still a .223 or 5.45 x 39. the ak47 ( as far as i know) hasnt been changed regarding casing lenght and is till a 7.62 x 39. its the same caliber as a .308 or the R1 ( or FN ). but the casing is where the diffenrece comes in. the .308, R1 or FN casing is 51mm, and the AK47 casing is 39mm

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
kayaker, you are correct as to the size of the military AK47. Only some sporting versions where made in .308 cal

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

I realised this after I posted it..

It was not my intention to turn a good mans obituary into a calibre discussion..thanks for pointing that out.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
Todd,

I realised this after I posted it..

It was not my intention to turn a good mans obituary into a calibre discussion..thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks, kayaker. This thread went to hell quick.

May he rest in peace and may his killers not.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Good news is that the Namibian police did catch the 3 guys and are now in jail.

Our thoughts go to Daantjie's Dad, mother and sister and the rest of the family, all of us in the Kamanjab and Otjikondo area are thinking of them.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nampom:

Our thoughts go to Daantjie's Dad, mother and sister and the rest of the family, all of us in the Kamanjab and Otjikondo area are thinking of them.

GOOD

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

GOOD! Are they looking for members for the fireing squad? I'll pay my way over there to help!I'd fire both barrles on my 470NE double on each of the bastards!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

On my first day with Mike Kibble we chased poachers, and apprehended one. His sentence was a measly $2000NAM..........................Never do that shit alone is the lesson here Mad

What is their likely sentence, nampom?

Blair.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote