Tools

Zimbabwe-Jumbo kills baby boy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jumbo kills baby boy

Herald Reporter
April 5, 2010

A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy was trampled to death by an elephant that charged at him and his mother in Guruve last Saturday.

His mother, Lillian Nyamhandu (26), was working in her sorghum field when she saw the elephant charging towards her. She picked up her son and started running with the animal in hot pursuit.

However, she stumbled, fell and got up, leaving her baby behind

The elephant picked up and threw Cleophas Muzeya to the ground three times before trampling on him, police said.

The incident occurred in Mukute Village under Chief Chisunga. Police spokesperson Superintendent Andrew Phiri said the elephant lifted the baby with its trunk and threw him to the ground three times, killing him on the spot.

The elephant disappeared into a nearby bush.

Nyamhandu went home and alerted other villagers who teamed up and went back to the field and found Cleophas dead.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee! How can this be? Everyone knows from countless "documentaries" that elephants are those big gentle giants that are shot by cruel hunters who also sell the ivory. (Most of the "documentaries" don't distinguish between real hunters and poachers) I thought the elephant was the most impressive creature I saw in Africa - but that doesn't mean I was in love with the critters. Those pig eyes always made me cautious -and memories of US side of the water attacks by zoo and circus elephants -coming out of the blue - made me wary of them if only for that reason alone. Now where are the "environmentalists" and "friends of the elephant" to explain this attack? Oh, I forgot! This story will never make the US news cycle.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
Gee! How can this be? Everyone knows from countless "documentaries" that elephants are those big gentle giants

Now where are the "environmentalists" and "friends of the elephant" to explain this attack? Oh, I forgot! This story will never make the US news cycle.

They would blame the woman for encroaching in the elephant's territory.
Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to introduce a few bunny huggers to some of the jumbo's who came to my camp at Tsavo uninvited. I have a almost new pair of boots I will sell cheap. rotflmo the aroma if from the shit they where full on when I was charged with nothing but a camera for protection rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
IMHO, this sort of thing has been going on since man joined the animal kingdom in Africa.
Lions, crocs, eles, snakes, mosquitos, etc. all
can be downright unfriendly to humans at times.
Of course, that works both ways, man has been killing critters since he came along.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote