THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: 254 Pound leopard and 1,300 Stitches

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 254 Pound leopard and 1,300 Stitches
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over 9'long and 254 pounds ?????? Kind of hard to believe.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Over 9'long and 254 pounds ?????? Kind of hard to believe.

Bill, you ought to see the picture! This was one enormous Leopard!

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is hanging from a hook through the pelvis. Great way to hang a carcass to remove leg meat BTW.

I am wondering if that photo is genuine. The size and weight ratio appears a bit odd to me.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What bodypart is that leopard hanging from?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Want some tobasco sauce with that crow? Since I have to eat a lot of it in my life, i've learned a little seasoning helps choke it down.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's the biggest, fattest, big-headed and haunched leopard I have ever seen or heard tell of.

Looks like a maneless, spotted lion!

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good God, that is a monster leopard.

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Maybe the guy in the picture is actually a pygmy?

Actually that does look one huge Leopard and personally I can believe those figures.

I am assuming the Leopard has not been gutted and therefore its weight will very much depend on what and when it last eat. As to the length, the report does not say whether it was measured "between the sticks" or "over the curves"...

To be honest, the figures mean little to me, the photograph says it all..

We should also remember in the days before antibiotics even comparitively minor stratches from a leopard were onften fatal would to blood poisoning;even today it can be an issue in some circumstances. All in all the PH is very lucky to have survived...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

The picture in the magazine is much better than my scanned copy. From what I can tell, the original picture looks genuine. The guy holding the chains is a few feet behind the leopard (easier to see that in the original picture).

Pete,

According to the story, the PH had been on antibiotics (from a previous dental problem) for several days before the leopard attack. So he had almost no issue with infection.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I wonder what the out come would have been if the PH had been a day or two away from treatment or was unable to take antibiotics for some reason? I have often wondered just how extensive a first aid kit is available in some of the more remote camps or are there legally set standards for this sort of thing to do with the licensing?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Please, nobody turn me in for copyright infringement.

The 9 feet includes the tail (nose to tip of tail measurement).

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Fortunately, he was only 3 hours from Kimberly, RSA. I don't know to what extent the law spells out the contents of the outfitters' first aid box.

Here is that world record leopard from Atcheson & Sons website I posted earlier. He's big kitty. I would like to see these two cats side-by-side.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I just experienced first hand a similar issue with a black bear that was supposed to be dead. Well it wasn't and it was waiting for us.

Fortunately, no one ended up mangled.

No, it wasn't my bear.

Posts: 19225 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Terry,

When you say it is a world record, is that based on the skull measurement or some other measurement? Do you know what the second one weighted?

Just as a point of comparison, I have posted the pic below which many people I am sure have already seen...

The guy in the picture is of course JJHack and apparently the picture has made it onto snopes.com!

Anyway, JJ had this to say abbout the mountain lion:

"The lion weighs about 200 pounds . Just for a reference in the photo, I'm 5'10" tall and 175 pounds. The lion makes me look much smaller then he is! The stomach was empty as well. A Lion with a full belly could have as much as 30 pounds or more in his belly. I have filled a 5 gallon pail with elk meat from a lion stomach which was much smaller then this one, last year"

Regards,

Pete

posted Hide Post
Terry,

If you have a particular interest in leopards, you might be interested in the book

"The Leopard in India- A natural history" by JC Daniel.

It covers all aspects including data from Rowland Ward plus other items published by hunters.

Scanning the book again, it would seem that an 8' leopard was an exceptional but not unheard of animal for India.

If we allow that African Leopards are generally considered bigger on average than those found in India and the fact alot depends upon just how the animal was measured,I find that that figure of 9' quite believeable...

regards,

Pete

posted Hide Post

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Pete,

They didn't give weight on that Zambian cat, just skull measurement.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

I have seen a really good fake of JJ's pic where someone "enhanced" the size of that cougar. I can't remember, is the picture above the true pic or the "enchanced" version?

I went back and found the old post where I had the two different pics of that cougar side-by-side. Unfortunately, I had not saved the pics (just copied the URL from someone else)and whoever had those pics no longer has them on their websites.

posted Hide Post
Terry,

JJ posted this photo and the write up a couple of years back on another forum, so I can only assume its the genunie one.

I do know the photo took on a life of its own on the net and I have subsecquently seen it attribuated to various people from a number of different States.

Regards,

Pete

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
This photo was probably taken the next day. What is interesting is the cat probably looked longer the day before.

I noticed on my cat he was much smaller the next morning. The muscles contract making him a bit fatter and quite a bit shorter.

This is a dang big kitty!

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That is why my Ph carries a 416rem mag as a follow up gun.. For leopard...Even one bad shot will do a lot of stunning...

I wish the best for the Ph and family...I think infection is the bigger problem here...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it was a jaguar on vacation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cat shadow is to the left, as would be the skinners. The skinners shadow would fall behind the cat.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote