New
Find
Notify
Tools

2nd Annual DSC Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wrote a brief report last year about DSC, received the customary "boo's" from some on AR and that was encouragement enough to write another.

You are soooo lucky!!

1. Love the new location. Roomy, wide ailses, warm, not too noisy except for the annoying PA system and the drone speaking on it.

2. Food was lousy in the food court and over priced by 200%. The bar areas were excellent and well spaces. Perfect.

3. Entry and registration were efficient and manned (or "womanned") by helpful volunteers. The coat check area was swamped and those poor ladies needed 4 arms each to handle the Texas goose down coats and furs worn by the locals. You Canadians barely wore jackets.

4. Map of the area - DSC-ers, get this right. The 8 1/2" x11" version is too small for anyone to read. Go to a fold out 11 x 17 or hand out something that is readable. My glasses were not 6x Swaro bino's. I could not read it at all.

5. Entry - super, eye catching. The DSC Store was swamped each time I went by. The Sports Afield Booth as excellent. Kevin Roberson never left the area. He answered more questions that I could have imagined could be asked. Great guy.
Diana Rupp - where were you? You are a star in Sports Afield - get out there. You are good lookin' and a good writer. I had hoped to see you. My loss.

6. Business and Busy-ness at the show - hard to tell from the numbers of people because the layout is bigger than in the past. Seemed busy but I did not see a lot of checks being written booking hunts. Lots of interest and lots of people getting info.

7. Observations - as expected, Boddington's area next to Chifuti was a traffic jam. He was signing books and talking like a parking cop on a busy day. Gracious and pleasant. The production company (his partners) were there and selling a bunch of DVD's. Andrew Dawson and Paul Smith were selling hunts. Dawson got a better haircut. Smith needed a shave.

Buzz and Myles were pressing the flesh. Seems Buzz was negotiating hard with the Heym people for a new 500 Elephant Slapper double after some close calls earlier this year.

Ivan Carter was everywhere, at every booth. He is nearly to the "god-ette" status after Boddington on elephant came out, but the best charge beat down video I saw was at Zambezi Hunter's booth where Johnathon Hulme shoots a mad cow at inches rather than feet. Johnaton is Ivan's bro-in-law by the way. Good shooting to say the least.

Bob Kern had an army at the show. He got the call at the show that the potentate of Tajikistan signed a law allowing big sheep hunting again there. Good news for you Weatherby Award pursuers.

Not as many fishing booths - I missed that.

Not as many Kiwi's as in the past. I visited a couple - they are getting the message that shooting out of helicoptors is not cool. However, they are now breeding some 600" stags. Yuck.

Good ol' Adam Clements - great new booth. More leather sofas than a bordelo in Las Vegas. Doing a bang up business. Mark Young was there - still no haircut, just a "truck driver" ponytail or mullet. Lots of action at his booth due to the great area they have.

Not as much silicone seen on some of the fair Texas ladies this year. Must be the cold weather as I am not sure what stiffens up worse - silicone or ????

Swaro and Schmidt & Bender - thanks for the free samples!! Not. But thanks for having people there to tell about your great products.

Barnes Bullets - wow, what a booth and I liked your free samples.

Mayo Oldiri - Keep your daughters selling hunts. They know the business.

Mike McCrave - man in the kilt - great booth and great story on stag hunting in Scotland. Got to do that. I am sold. Ladies, you will like this one.

Where was Jim Shockey?

Best deal I saw - Folding & Terminus Mountain Outfitters - Stone sheep, griz, moose, caribou in Canada - family operation, great people, fair price.

2nd Best deal - Vancouver Island Guide Outfitters - almost the best deal on 2 nice black bears with friendly people in a pretty area.

3rd Best - Manuka Point Outfitters in NZ. Family business, nice place, great free range animals and fair price.

If you have read this far, you know I am not above comments that are not totally positive. Here goes - Vermejo Park Booth - what was the deal with the Flagg Group taxidermists in your booth with a monkey with a hard on? My wife tossed you and your elk hunt. I know have to go with Kessler Canyon. Show a little class please. The Flagg group guys are dingalings.

More later.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Good report and observations. Were you there for the "leak" at the end of the show yesterday? Hundreds and hundreds of gallons of water pouring in the booths from the rafters. Some say it was sewage. I didn't get close enough to find out but it had to have destroyed a few booths. I watched it from a distance for about 20-30 minutes and the water was still pouring when I made my way around it and left. Anybody know what it was all about?

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
Good report and observations. Were you there for the "leak" at the end of the show yesterday? Hundreds and hundreds of gallons of water pouring in the booths from the rafters. Some say it was sewage. I didn't get close enough to find out but it had to have destroyed a few booths. I watched it from a distance for about 20-30 minutes and the water was still pouring when I made my way around it and left. Anybody know what it was all about?

Postdriver posted this on another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver:
We had a bit of excitement right at show closing tonight. As alluded to above, it's been bitterly cold here in Dallas (for Dallas) and apparently some pipes in the roof of the Dallas Convention Center froze, burst, then thawed out enough to start spraying just at closing time tonight. At about 5:45 (show closes at 6) a small leak turned into a major gush along an area about 30 yards long, spraying all the booths underneath with a lot of water. Exhibitors scurried to get their goods and displays moved out of the way, and apparently little damage was done. However, the floor was saturated and the water was still coming down. This is in the front center of the hall. I'd say about 15 booths were effected. I don't think much damage was done to exhibits but we had to start clearing the hall about 10 minutes early. To everyone's credit, the clearing was orderly and fairly quick and by 6:30 the cleanup crew was in, new carpet was on the way and the water was being vacuumed up.

Quite a bit of excitement for the end of the day. All the exhibitors I spoke with were complimentary on the way the show was going; today being better than the first two days, and smiles were widespread. We're looking forward to tomorrow with the mishap being hopefully minor and with little or no effect on the rest of the show.

Dennis
Conceierge, DSC

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
4. Map of the area - DSC-ers, get this right. The 8 1/2" x11" version is too small for anyone to read. Go to a fold out 11 x 17 or hand out something that is readable. My glasses were not 6x Swaro bino's. I could not read it at all.

The show program has a larger map than the one on the website. May still require reading glasses. I left mine in the truck Friday -- no a good plan.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not make it this year. but I am betting we will have the same crew brocasting they were busier than ever and book now before they sell out Smiler

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bulldog: Thanks for your report. Sure enjoyed that previous one. Someday I hope to go myself.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report, keep it coming!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about some pics also?

Keep the reports coming.

Thanks, Bulldog

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FTW's new shooting programs looked great to me Tim has really put lots of thought and effort into it. AND they where right next to the rafel bab's jumping There not booking hunts any more except there own. I was very happy with the response to my bronze work. I hope half the people who say they wanted me t do work for them come through. I will book a hunt if they do Big Grin. I did book a hunt with John Wamback. spent a couple days talking to him. He's crazy like me so I think we'll have fun Big Grin. pray for larrys dad ( mister whitetail)

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good ol' Adam Clements - great new booth. More leather sofas than a bordelo in Las Vegas. Doing a bang up business. Mark Young was there - still no haircut, just a "truck driver" ponytail or mullet. Lots of action at his booth due to the great area they have.

Not as much silicone seen on some of the fair Texas ladies this year. Must be the cold weather as I am not sure what stiffens up worse - silicone or ????

.....and someone has a running start for post of the year!!! Big Grin

I look forward to seeing Adam's couches, Mark's abundant hair, and......well "aditives" in Reno!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

2. Food was lousy in the food court and over priced by 200%. The bar areas were excellent and well spaces. Perfect.

I had a great time at the show as always! thumb However---Saturday afternoon, two of the bars that I went to - only beer they had was Budweiser! Oh the Inhumanity! Finally broke down and drank one anyway. Frowner

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Part 2

SHE Safari Clothing - smartest marketers at the show. The are right in amongst the gun displays and a couple of big (Bob Kern's) safari company displays. Ideal spot to park the wife with your credit card while you shop for a hunt and she shops for clothes. The ladies working for SHE are shapely, in a variety of places and sizes, and very helpful. I watched one "Blonde Texas Sized Bombshell Trophy Wife" push graying, balding, chubby hubby toward one of the hunt booths while she sorted and sized every item there. She packed out about $1000 worth of clothes and hubby wrote the check to keep Texas Princess happy. What a deal. Those ladies are sharp.

Double Rifles - Casswell was there with a smorgasboard of doubles. He was swamped with lookers and a potential buyer or two. Heym had some great looking guns and customers. Evolution had three re-furbed Model 70's and one smallish double. The guy at the booth did not know guns but was selling hunts. Not sure what Ed Wolsum is doing there if not to sell guns.

Taxidermists - Too many chasing too few clients. Some of the work was superb. Some was commercial grade. Not sure if taxidermy will ever make the jump to "art" versus "handycraft".

Artists - There were several there, all good and expensive. I am not sure how the original art business is but a I saw a few good prints head out the door.

Equipment - Mystery Ranch was there with scads of stuff. Murray Leather had a great layout as well. The Red Oxx guys were there as well - too heavy for me but well made. There were a bunch of trinket salesmen as well - DSC - these guys do not add to the show.

More to come.

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I was there Friday and Saturday. Venue is great although I left for the airport before the flooding began.

I concur with most of what was posted above.

I do believe people were buying more hunts than in the last couple of years. I showed up to book a buffalo this year, and was not able to book in the area that I wanted b/c the quota was sold. Outfitters I talked to were happy with their prospects for 2010, 2011, and even 2012.

Wildlife Gallery taxidermy was outstanding. These guys went above and beyond the call to cover the huge venue with a variety of specimens.

Got to meet some of the AR posters in person. Had nice chats with Mary Young, Tim Herald, Buzz, David Keith, Tim Burkhart, John Hunt, Ivan Carter and others.

Video of Johnny shooting the cow at a few steps is really good. 500NE makes an impression on a charging cow.

Overall, it was a good show and a good venue.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Update

I was hoping for a thaw in the silicone but no such luck. Oh well. You Texas ladies are not as tough as I thought.

Ok - I booked my trip. I am not giving details as I have not yet told my wife. It is for buff and leopard.

Overall - good to great show. I like the space. I like Dallas vs. Reno. I just can't make myself go to Reno and take the financial beating to attend a mega version of what I just went through. Yes, I know that the Reno show is the "big cajuna" but I just do not understand the attraction to that city and state. Weather is usually bad - prices are high - it is off the beaten path. Oh well.

DSC - Your volunteers "make" the show. I hope you keep the "small" feeling.

Non-attenders - if you are going to Africa or South America or New Zealand and your "guy" is at the show - you got to be there to meet them, to get eyeball to eyeball with the man that is taking a bunch of your money. I hope you went.

I did not attend the AR function, was scared that Idaho Sharpshooter would go "postal" and put a blade in my ribs or that Llamapacker's lawyer (did Doug Chester that the case?) would show up with subpeona's for everyone that every posted a comment on the scalping of SSG Safari's.

Fair well!

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
It looked like many of the silent auction hunts went unbid, but I was last there around 3:30. I hope the results are in the next newsletter.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BDM:

Nobody cares about Jim Shockey----except, of course, Jim Shockey-----and, exactly how is it that you know about leather and the inside of Vegas bordellos?

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ropes:
It looked like many of the silent auction hunts went unbid, but I was last there around 3:30. I hope the results are in the next newsletter.

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that some of the hunts did not match the description in the catalog? One particular hunt in Zim caught my eye and when I went to check on it there were no bids. This was still an hour before the close, so I went back with 5 minutes to spare. I was about to match the $1,500 minimum bid when I noticed the description on the table said the trophy fee was not included although the catalog said it was. There was not enough time to sort it out so I passed.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first time at Dallas, my observations:

Not as jaw dropping as Reno, but much easier to get around and make sure that you see everything that you want to see.
Easier to talk to the outfitters. The pace is more relaxed and everyone had time talk.
Everyone that you would want to see in Reno is in Dallas, and easier to find.
Less of the trinkets and trash, but enough to still find something for your wife, girfriend or grandchildren.
food was lousy but it is at any convention center in the US.
The gun manufacturers have larger booths in Reno, but unless you are in the market for a new H&H double you won't miss them. And if you are in the market, you can afford the trip to London.
All in all, SCI is a spectical DSC is a working convention.
Meeting the other ARers was a treat.
Next year I'll be back in Dallas.

My .02, worth what you paid for it.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:

Not as jaw dropping as Reno, but much easier to get around and make sure that you see everything that you want to see.
Easier to talk to the outfitters. The pace is more relaxed and everyone had time talk.
Everyone that you would want to see in Reno is in Dallas, and easier to find.
Less of the trinkets and trash, but enough to still find something for your wife, girfriend or grandchildren.
food was lousy but it is at any convention center in the US.
The gun manufacturers have larger booths in Reno, but unless you are in the market for a new H&H double you won't miss them. And if you are in the market, you can afford the trip to London.
All in all, SCI is a spectical DSC is a working convention.
Meeting the other ARers was a treat.

You said it! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not as many Kiwi's as in the past. I visited a couple - they are getting the message that shooting out of helicoptors is not cool. However, they are now breeding some 600" stags. Yuck.

You just made my night, thanks for that peice of info, and good on all who are putting the message across.

Posts: 4597 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the floor plan was a little off in some areas. you had to go around large booth and the next row was offset which if you when not awear for you missed a row. not a big deal unless you where looking for a booth that was offset. the flow pattern was disrupted alittle. NO biggy will be better next yr. I had a great time

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMaster:
7. Observations - as expected, Boddington's area next to Chifuti was a traffic jam. He was signing books and talking like a parking cop on a busy day. Gracious and pleasant. The production company (his partners) were there and selling a bunch of DVD's.

I saw that booth. I went by it twice on Friday but did not see Mr Boddington present. If I had I would have stopped and bought a book just to have signed. I like his style of writing.

My favorite booth of the day was the Texas Hawking Association. One of the falconers had a gorgeous Gyr/Peregrine hybrid on the glove. Definitely rekindled my boyhood fascination with raptors.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Due to family commitments I didn't get to the show until Sunday,, I missed the broken water pipe from Saturday and it appeared the DSC volunteers did a good job getting the mess cleaned up because I could not tell there was an issue. I did print out the map on my computer and increaed the font so I could piece my own map together so when I showed up I had the main exhibitors that were a must see for me marked and located on my map. I liked the the new location,, I skipped the food,, I did go by and see most of the AR crew that were in booths, etc. I did see Mr Boddington in his booth on Sunday and there was a crowd there so I opassed it by. I pretty much agree with all that is posted here, it was worth my time and effort to attend.
Did anyone else notice that hunting in Angola was being offered again,, it has been 3 decades since hunting was closed there. It did make me think about a possible trip there in 2011 or 2012. I believe Roger Whitall got a concession there. Not a lot of info out there so guys going to Reno may be able to give us some info...

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Ken Wilson of Sportsman on Film fame is tied in with a bunch doing Angola and Uganda. Two areas back from the dead. Talked with Ken briefly about them. Sounds interesting.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to BulldogMaster and all who have offered suggestions and critique. We do listen, and we will improve in those areas, and a few others not mentioned on this board. We had a great convnetion, but there are areas where we need to do a better job.

The move to a new venue after many, many years at our old site brought many new issues. We all learned a lot, and will take steps to make the convention better for both exhibitors and attendees.

A comment on the water line break - by the time I returned to the hall at about 6:15, the water source had been cut off, but the water continued to drip for many hours as the line drained. The carpet was wet-vacced and replaced with new carpet, new pipe and drape was installed, electricity was reconnected, and by the time we opened for business on Sunday you would have had no way of knowing anything had happened. Despite the downpour, property damage was nominal. Compliments to the many exhibitors and volunteers who helped protect the property of other exhibitors. And compliments to the Dallas Convention Center staff and Freeman staff who made the turn around a reality.

We hope to see you all next year, and keep the suggestions coming.

Richard T. Cheatham
DSC Convention Chair
First Light

Richard T. Cheatham

Posts: 72 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is great news, hopefully the same sentiment will be evident st SCI.

Helihunting is killing NZ hunting!

Regards
H

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:

I had a great time at the show as always! thumb However---Saturday afternoon, two of the bars that I went to - only beer they had was Budweiser! Oh the Inhumanity! Finally broke down and drank one anyway. Frowner

Great show, but +1 on the bars. I don't think they anticipated how much this group drinks, at least after noon. Stood in line 20 minutes to get my wife some bad wine for 5.50. The one bartender for two large converging lines was constantly trying to turn around and ice down more beer, while he complained that he wasn't getting support.

This is a minor thing that I'm sure will be better next time.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard, I believe that we shared a table at lunch on Saturday. That is, if you had hot dogs at one of the common round tables with your wife and son. If so, my wife and I enjoyed our conversation; I found your observations very frank and illuminating.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have been to Reno once and now Dallas once. I much prefer Dallas. I met some very nice people and made some new friends. I enjoyed the AR Dinner and the party. Very nice of DSC to pick up the dinner check. I'm already looking forward to attending again next year. I hope Walter will be there next year.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cazadore humilde, we'll try to fix that. The food and beverage vendor left some money on the table, or bar, for sure.

Analog_peninsula, that was me. I enjoyed visiting with you and your family as well.

Thanks for coming to the show.

Richard

Richard

Richard T. Cheatham

Posts: 72 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 01 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, again, to BDM. I almost "felt" that I was there.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The food and beverage vendor left some money on the table, or bar, for sure.

That is for certain, I saw people walking away from the bar because the lines were so long; you had to stand in one line to buy a drink ticket, then stand in another line to get a drink with your ticket. One of the ladies selling drink tickets looked like she was going to sleep, she was so tired. I wish you could just BYOB. Big Grin