Find
Notify
Tools

Optics Prices in Europe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Do high end optics cost less in Europe? I know they are made in over there but the dollar is also down.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO - is the short answer. In some cases (Leupold, Zeiss Conquest etc), optics in Europe are CONSIDERABLY more expensive than in the States.

Built in Europe - prices fixed in Europe. Nowhere the same level of competition as in the US. Some lines are not that much more expensive - the typical "Euro" lines of the top level brands (i.e. 30m tubes, mount rails, heavy and/or illuminated reticles).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when I compared the price of some Leupold and their european counterparts, there's less difference now than 15 or 20 years ago.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
In Spain, Portugal, Greece, and Iceland the places I have travelled to the most Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski are 20% more expensive minimum.

I bought my 7x42 Swarovski ELs for $1200 through SWFA (they had a sale during Christmas, yes they are new)! I think they average $1400-1600. In Spain they are E1600 and that's alot more than $1400 at 1.36 Dollars per Euro.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the price move up a lot in US now that the exchange rate is so bad for Merkins ?

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even in '01 and '02 when the Euro was .75-.8 to the USD, optics were cheaper in the US.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Yes prices seem to be going up and I do hear companies talking of taking prices even higher due to the weak dollar. I do not understand why premium optics companies do not offer their products at a better price in the countries where they are produced. To sell them in the US there is added shipping and taxes but we still pay less then those sold overseas. You guys are getting the shaft!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
http://www.eurooptic.com/
Take a look at this webside, great prices

Skype username
solvijoh

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Did the price move up a lot in US now that the exchange rate is so bad for Merkins ?

With Leupold, Burris, Bushnell Elites, Weaver Grand Slams, and the American made Zeiss Conquest and Kahles AH, we don't need the overpriced stuff made in Europe.