Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant hair and replica bracelets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Back in the good old days when the world was in black and white it was never a problem to travel with the odd elephant hair bracelet on your arm but since then, political correctness and those plonkers at CITES have made it a bit more difficult.

If you remember those times, you may well now have a bit of arthritis in you (as do I) and I guess it was this that inspired someone on this forum about a year ago, to ask if anyone made copper bracelets in the form of elephant hair bracelets.

That question started a lot of communication between a lady jeweller Bahati mentioned and I and to cut a long story short, she finally managed to make a couple of samples (pics below).

She's not sure on prices yet but they'll probably be in the region of US$90-100 for the ones made to resemble elephant hair and a bit less for the others.

She's also trying to work out how to make doubles and trebles but they're obviously a lot harder to tie.... especially in copper. If that can be done, maybe also to sell a version that has a tritium watch mounted on it.

I should say that my only involvement was to lend her some bracelets to use as patterns.

If anyone is interested, please contact me and I'll be happy to give you her contact details.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool, although having a green band--and accompanying green stains on the skin--once oxidation sets in is something I'm all set on. Wink Since I'm not a bracelet kind of guy, no worries. Years ago in Kenya I saw them made of gold, and they were easy on the eyes, but if I ever have one, it'll be made of actual ele hair. Pretty metal work, in any event.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The idea of the copper and green band is that it relieves the symptoms of arthritis rather like copper grease is used to lubricate certain pieces of machinery...... and IMO it seems to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive had one exactly like the one that resembles the hair for at least 10 years now.. I bought it at the DSC show. My only complaint with it isnt the green stain, its that the damned thing LOVES to yank your arm hair out!

And yes, I wore it while ele hunting!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
They say the green stuff is quite toxic. in spain quite coomon on steel or an alloy of silver

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwarf416:
They say the green stuff is quite toxic. in spain quite coomon on steel or an alloy of silver

Unless there's copper in the steel or silver alloy it wouldn't be the same stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now these look great and would last a long time. My hair bracelets seem to break down after time. Suppose soap etc. takes a toll even with lanolin applied.

This is a great idea and sure is more attractive that the twisted copper.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've given up with the real ones. They're either too big, too small, too dry or too damp.... or just on the damn way.

The top section of my gunsafe is half full of the bloody things and I never wear them. The other half is full of hippo skin & elephant foot bangles and I never wear them either.

Whinge over! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
elephant foot bangles

This I wanna see! Pictures please, with you wearing them!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I've given up with the real ones. They're either too big, too small, too dry or too damp.... or just on the damn way.

The top section of my gunsafe is half full of the bloody things and I never wear them. The other half is full of hippo skin & elephant foot bangles and I never wear them either.

Whinge over! rotflmo
isn't an elephant foot sort of heavy to wear around your wrist and especially your neck??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the band bracelet. I think it would look even better if the date and place of where the elephant was taken were to be engraved on it. I have several of the 3- and 4-knot real elephant hair bracelets in my collection and rarely wear them.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the real thing, I never wear it. I gave another to a lady friend. Damn, I'm so easy.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
The idea of the copper and green band is that it relieves the symptoms of arthritis rather like copper grease is used to lubricate certain pieces of machinery...... and IMO it seems to help.

Huh? Not sure we're communicating. Where I'm from, lots of roofs and other building parts were built with copper. Want to guess what a well-seasoned roof looks like after exposure to the air and other elements for awhile? Hint: it's not yellow, blue or pink. And I know for a fact that copper worn on skin stains after oxidation takes its toll. YMMV.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Kamo,

Yes, I think we might be talking at cross purposes. This http://www.jcregali.com/Articl...copper-bracelet.html is what I'm referring to but Google will also show you a lot more info on the subject.

For those interested and for the piss takers. Wink Hippo on the left made from the sub cutaneous skin and elephant on the right, made from the sub cutaneous skin of the pad of the foot.

Here's the best quality 'treble' bangle I have or have ever seen. Made from elephant tail.
hair.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kamo,

Yes, I think we might be talking at cross purposes. This http://www.jcregali.com/Articl...copper-bracelet.html is what I'm referring to but Google will also show you a lot more info on the subject.

For those interested and for the piss takers. Wink here's a couple made from the sub cutaneous skin of pad of elephant feet. These tend to dry almost like bone whereas the ones made from the sub cutaneous skin of a hippo tend to dry like leather and is more flexible.

Here's the best quality 'treble' bangle I have or have ever seen. Made from elephant tail.
hair.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Kamo,

For those interested and for the piss takers. Wink here's a couple made from the sub cutaneous skin of pad of elephant feet. Look carefully and you'll see the cracks that occur on the base of the feet. These bangles tend to dry almost like bone whereas the ones made from the sub cutaneous skin of a hippo tend to dry like leather and is more flexible.

hair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the good old days when the world was in black and white it was never a problem to travel with the odd elephant hair bracelet on your arm but since then, political correctness and those plonkers at CITES have made it a bit more difficult.

If you remember those times, you may well now have a bit of arthritis in you (as do I) and I guess it was this that inspired someone on this forum about a year ago, to ask if anyone made copper bracelets in the form of elephant hair bracelets.

That question started a lot of communication between a lady jeweller Bahati mentioned and I and to cut a long story short, she finally managed to make a couple of samples (pics below).

Hi Steve,
it was me who started that lady's business wave I had asked that question on the forum. Maybe you could ask her to send me a sample, it's not unlikely that we might be able to sell the bracelets here in Hermanus.

Cheers, Klaus

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOW we know the truth on why Steve's legs are so short! he has been wearing a elephant foot. DAM he's tougher than I'm them things is heavy rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Only on one foot mate which is why I keep walking round in circles. animal animal animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dam I did not know we where walking in circles wish someone would have told me!! I just thought we where drunk shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS I changed my mind send me one of each style of bracelet. when you get time

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Those have been available in Kenya for at least the last fifteen years that I have been going there. They make them in sterling silver and copper. I have a bunch of them and the copper ones very rarely go green. It must either be the atmospheric conditions or your physical state that sets off the greening and none of us have yet worked out exactly what's behind it.

I am due back down there soon so if anyone wants some let me know.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
I have both on me at all times--mostly--. A real one on the left given to me by clients and a copper one on the right wrist and it dose leave a green line but only rarely. I just like what they mean to me and that is the only jewerly I would wear,hell I don't even wear the wedding ring !! go figure....... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw several in Arusha at the big crafts mart in both silver and copper. Single only, though.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of philrhodes
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,

Long time no see.
Hope you are well.
Please let me have info on these copper bracelets.
Cheers

Phil

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hello mate, Yeah, we're fine thanks and hope the same can be said of you and yours...

I'll email you the info just now. tu2

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philrhodes:
Please let me have info on these copper bracelets.

+1

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike,

email sent buddy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, PC is a way for the weak to pull down the strong. Elephant hair bracelets are only for stateside wear these days.

I'd be interested in one of copper.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I don't have any connection with the company other than I lent them one or two of my originals to copy but I've sent you a PM with her email address.

The company does have a website and I'll post their address when I find it....... if I find it! Wink

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ah, that was easy.... here you go chaps: http://www.m2jewellery.com/

I'm not much for Tom Foolery (cockney rhyming slang for jewellery to you Johnny Foreigners Wink) but I have seen a fair bit of their work and it's very nice. I've gotta say I've got no idea how they make those gemsbuck horn bangles though.

I don't see the copper bangles on the site so they might be special order.

Hope that helps.