New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fail Safe in 375 H&H on Plains Game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would appreciate any feedback on using Fail Safe bullets especially in 375 H&H on Plains game. In smaller calibers the results might be different!

I have a whole lot of them that I would like to use on a plains game hunt. My concern is that it might be too hard! I am hunting Oryx, Kudu, Zebra, Eland, possibly Girraffe!. Thanks. A

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They will work just fine. I’ve seen them used a lot. Everything will die swiftly if you hit the vitals, and with the .375 Fail Safes you’d be able to hit the vital (on the species you mentioned) from all and any angles.

Which are will you be hunting in?

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If yourconsidering something in the 270gn/monometal range of bullets...
GSCustom265gnHV, with about same initial muzzle vel.(2675)this pill has more energy/velocity at 300yds than the 270failsafe has at 200yds.

265HV. muzzle 2660/4154
...........300yds 2307/3132

270FS. muzzle 2670/4275
..........300yds 2033/2478

thats a difference of 15%V,25%E. and at a 100yds further down the road!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
If yourconsidering something in the 270gn/monometal range of bullets...
GSCustom265gnHV, with about same initial muzzle vel.(2675)this pill has more energy/velocity at 300yds than the 270failsafe has at 200yds.

265HV. muzzle 2660/4154
...........300yds 2307/3132

270FS. muzzle 2670/4275
..........300yds 2033/2478

thats a difference of 15%V,25%E. and at a 100yds further down the road!

Has Gerard cleaned up his waiting list? Failsafes you can actually buy in this century... sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used them with great success in RSA on my 2004 safari. Took 7 species of plains game, all one shot kills with the exception of a Kudu at 450 yards that required a second shot. The bullets perfomed perfectly. I only have about twenty or so rounds left, and am looking for another couple of boxes. If you know where I can order them, please tell me.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I've used the 300 grain Fail Safe on several safaris. They are excellent bullets and have performed for me on everything from grysbok to eland.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
They work just great for me (.308/180 grain) in my light rifle, but I could not get the .375/300 gr to shoot well in either of my .375 H&Hs. I have not tried the 270 gr FailSafe which gets a lot of good reviews.

If you like these bullets I would buy them now as Winchester intends to replace tham with its latest design (which is cheaper to make).

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks All for your feedback. On my last safari I used the 300grn swift A frame and found them very effective. Its just that I had these 4-5 boxes lying around so thought I would put them to good use!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took one box with me last year to Namibia, but did not use anything but the 260 AccuBond's in 375 H&H. Left it with my friend's at the ranch to try on kudu, eland, and giraffe in their loaner rifles. They said they work extremely well, and most are not recovered.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I've used both the 270 grain and 300 grain FS bullets on both DG and PG and would encourage you to use them if they shoot well in your rifle.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway has the Failsafes at a bargain price if you reload.The special is on Bullet points only and not cartidges.
Regards
Johan

Ps Does somebody have any pictures of recoverd failsafes,the only pictures I have seen on the net is of a stub with all the petals broken off,even on the Barnes dvd where they shoot it into ballistic gelatin with deer hide over it.Would appreciate it if you guys could post some pictures.

Posts: 47 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

Thanks for the tip. I should have been more specific. I am looking for the Winchester 270gr Failsafe rounds. My CZ 375 group them at 1.5 inches at 200yds. I have been told that Winchester discontinued them in 375. What a shame. I don't reload for my 375, but may have to start. My rifle has been happy with factory loads, and I use the Remington Premium Safari 300gr SAF on Buffalo. Have taken two with them so far.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I use the 180 gr. FailSafes for my .300 WSM. I shot a big Eland bull with them in 2003 and they work absolutely flawlessly.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 6 boxes of the 270 grn failsafes from Midway.It was limited stock and should last me a few years.
Pity you dont reload
Regards
Johan

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Johan:
If this pic thingee works, here's a couple Failsafes from African animals. I forget what the exact caliber is. I think they are 308 and 338WM.

We used Failsafes exclusively and had excellent results. I used 308, 338 and 375HH. If I remember correctly, I shot ten animals, all one shot kills.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tj
The one bullet on the right looks impressive,nearly like an A frame,I guess the one on the left was shot at quite a distance but much more impressive than the pictures I saw on the net.
Thanks Again
Johan

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Johan, I think you are right, that might be a A-Frame!

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 270gr on two impala and one wildebeest - excellent performance from ranges of 90yds to 280yds. They have had a lot of bad press in 'Magnum' for plains game in smaller calibres but in my limited experience exemplary.Charlie.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Nope, not A Frame. I don't own any. Both are Fail Safes.
I shot 10 animals in Namibia and RSA all with Fail Safes, one shot each. From Kudu down to Jackals.
I give credit to the bullet. All were shot with either 308, 338 or 375. All fell with very little tracking involved.
I also use them on Ak. moose and Brown Bear with good results.
If you want to use over the counter ammo, they are hard to beat.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote