Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Congratulations and good hunting !!!

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ernest for sharing your trip with us. It's a terrific read! If you could find a way to work in a paragraph about how great your flashlight performed on the hunt, you might even get published in a magazine.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Well done Judge, well done!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG:

Welcome back and congrats...

As always the account of your hunt was fantasic! Thanks..

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for that wonderful story.

Stories like that are the reason I became a member of this forum.

I am happy for you and envious at the same time.

Congrats!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great adventure. Well Done. thumb

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed reading your story, Ernest. Great hunt! Everyone in the pictures sure looked happy!

posted Hide Post
Great story Judge!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Great story and extremely well written (as usual)!!

Welcome back.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge
I have been in your dream!
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 51 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Pretty nice ivory for a PAC bull evenly matched and a good curve.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, thanks for sharing. Are you going to get a reproduction tusk done to remind you of the hunt or just stick with the photos? That is as nice as many of the "trophy" bulls I have seen come out of Zim lately. Those are very nice and certainly will go 40 plus easily. The best I saw last year was from a friend of mine in Arkansas who hunted with Graham Jones. Ed took one that went 60 plus which is damn good for Zim these days. However that is the exception. The majority are like yours. Pretty nice for a PAC animal. Good job and nicely told. Welcome back.
Mike

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Mike and folks:

Thanks for the kind comments.

Great idea as to a repro set! After all, Pamela Anderson can be a Problem Control Animal, I guess and she has some plastic work that folks don't mind admiring! Big Grin

Until Mike's suggestion, I hadn't really thought about reproduction tusks. Does any taxidermist here do that? I'll keep it in the AR family if possible... or anyone know of someone who does it reasonably?

I don't really have detailed measurments but am not so finicky as to require that my set be unique or exactly like the ones on "my" elephant. Someones mold that was similar would do fine. As I sit here in front of my fireplace, I can visualize a pair of tusks framing my little hearth, maybe on brass supports???

I don't need Dolly Parton's, so to speak... Jennifer Anniston's with a little upward sweep would do.

Seriously, if someone has information or better, a pictures of a pair (of tusks, fellows), I'd like to see them. Please p.m. me or don't think you've hijacked the thread if you want to post here. I'd think anyone contemplating a P.A.C. hunt would like to consider the "repro" option.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,
Super story, wish I was there.
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge I think that a saltwater taxidermist in north FLA. does repro tusk,anyway, congrats on a Fine hunt and report.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Judge, Glad to see you back safely, and thanks for the story. Now if only I could take such a "fictional" hunt. Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Judge.

Your account of a PAC hunt illustrates that it can be quite different than the traditional safari in that you are around and interacting with local people.

Thanks for filling us in.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

Great story, well told. Brent is really an excellent PH and great guy, willing to put in 110% to make your hunt a success. I'm glad you had a good time.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Get ahold of 30/06 or SBT....That big ele at Dallas had replica ivory in its mouth... They know the taxi personally and does their work...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is that skinny fellow struggling to be seen behind the elephant? Wink

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and another excellent story! Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Congrat's on a successful hunt.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Congratulations once more and thanks for a great story! thumb cheers

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great story, well done, Judge. Welcome back.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Judge- Regarding the ivory- contact Ray Hatfield or Doug Scott at Nature's Design Taxidermy and they will fix you up.

The phone number is 307-527-6053. Tell them I sent you if want to pay more! Smiler

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
What exactly happens to any ivory taken during a PAC hunt? Does the Gov't sell it and keep the $$$$?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting the results of the hunt. Sounds like you had a great time.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge, needed that today!

Dulcinea

What counts is what you learn after you know it all!!!

Posts: 712 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Game Dept. I would assume gets the ivory and sells it...Locals get the animal for food...
Just like a cow... food and everything else is sold off...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Judge! Congrats. Big Grin

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story Judge. Thanks for that... and congrats!

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,
I'm happy to hear you had a good time!
clap
Melody
www.long-grass.com

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Zebra:

If you look at the picture, I have the Tall Grass hat that you so kindly sent me. It gave me good luck and will be back with me again, for sure! Thanks... for it and the good products!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
A great read on a fine hunt. You answered many
of my questions as well.
Well done MARINE. thumb

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Judge congratulations on your excellent hunt and thank you for posting a very enjoyable and informative report.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a great hunt. Now what did you do for the rest of the "imaginary" trip? Wink

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Judge,

We don't know one another, but after reading this story of yours I do feel like I have been in your company, what a GREAT read!

I would very much like to have this type adventure myself and, if at all possible, I will before too many years go by.

I expect to own a 470 NE HEYM DR before this 2006 Thanks Giving and trust it will be MY ELEPHANT / BUFFALO rifle when the time comes.

GOOD HUNTING TO ALL OF US WHO HAVE THIS FIRE WITHIN!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Posted Mar 7, 3:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:

and did you partake in any of the Elephant yourself? I often wonder if it has flavor and would fit in with fine cuisine.
Frank

Frank,

I was served back strap steaks from my old ele cow the day I shot her. The chef marinaded them nicely and grilled them like a beef steak. Kind of on the rare to medium rare side (the way I like steaks).

I thought they were delicious. Nice like any game meat or beef.

Later, the PH told me the cook pounded the meat for 3 hours just for me. I wasn't sure if he was kidding or not but the meat was nice and tender! Big Grin
~Ann

Thank you Ann. Pounding the steaks would make sense and good to know they are also flavorful.
I really hope to partake of all the game once I get there.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn you keep proving me wrong whenever I tell people that jarheads can't write Wink. You have a gift Sir. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernst, Did you get any quotes on tusks yet? I think I know a couple different taxidermists who still do them. I can make some calls and forward the info to you. I just dont have any idea what is reasonable either.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote