Find
Notify
Tools

505 Gibbs versus the 12 mm.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Mates of mine Hiene, Doug Lilley and friend just completed a resident hunt here in Zambia.

A buffalo charged the trio and a close shot from the scoped .375 missed however the 505 Gibbs sent 525 (?) grains through the buffalo and it collapsed in it's tracks.

A 12mm piece of steel rod was removed from the upper front leg of the unfortunate animal which had failed to penetrate the bone but had caused massive infection.

Interesting to note the .505 drove through low shoulder (note the shooter was in a river bed shooting up) breaking the major bone, then proceeded to go through middle chest and finally settling up on the back side of the stomach cavity.

My mates concluded that the .505 was far superior to that of the 12mm.

I have a photo of both bullets (if some one wants to post?) and the expansion of the .505 is probably in excess of one inch across.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9902 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I'll post the photo for you if you like Andrew.

I've pm'ed you an address.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The photo has been pasted on the post 'Nganga'

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post

Apologies for the delay Andrew.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The 12mm weighs 417 grains.

One can conclude the new .417 is a dubious caliber.

On the other hand the .505 bullet although flattened at the front is intact and managed to drive its way through most of a Buffalo after having severed the shoulder bone.

Respect.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Would it be classed as a Monolithic solid and if so, is it OK to use in double rifles??

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Would it be classed as a Monolithic solid and if so, is it OK to use in Doubles rifles??

It would be a monolithic solid (deformed bar) and you will notice that the ridges have been hammered for a snug fit. Quite an ingenious concept. All one needs to carry is a couple of lengths of bar, a hacksaw and a hammer. Bet Norma wished they had thought of that.

No need for doubles as the design is such that three pieces of rebar can be loaded at once.

I might put a patent on this .417 triple action.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
What sort of gun would the rebar be fired from?

I am guessing a muzzle-loader of some sort but are these home-made zip guns or some ancient heirloom?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read your first statement, and it took a while for me to get an idea as to the 12mm object. Once I saw the picture I thought rebar, then as I scrolled down I realized how it could be a slug.

It seems like most buffalo charges are from wounded buff, is that an accurate statement?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
What sort of gun would the rebar be fired from?

I am guessing a muzzle-loader of some sort but are these home-made zip guns or some ancient heirloom?

Muzzle loader and often home made. It is quite common here to use the tie rod from a Land Rover for a barrel.

Probably the best use of a Land Rover.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal