New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Few Facts On The Selous
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
1. The Selous, which is around 50,000 sq.km, and covers about 6% of the area of Tanzania, is the largest rpotedtec wet wilderness area in Africa.

2. It is divided into 47 blocks, 43 of these are allocated for hunting, and the other four are for photographic safaris.

3. Hunting was banned in the Selous in 1973, which was lifted in 1982.

4. Boho Boho, is the first camp encountered by anyone visiting the Selous. It was originally built by Kerr and Downey, and superbly located on a hill over looking the plains. Nearby is the rehabilitated grave of Frederick Selous, after whom the reserve is named.

5. An arial count of elephants was conducted in 1976, and an estimate was made that 81,000 were in the Selous.

After the 9 years of hunting ban, which saw an enormous increase in poaching, this herd declined to less than 30,000.

6. Today, the estimated elephant population of the Selous is over 60,000.

7. An estimated population of between 3000 - 4000 lions are believed to live in the Selous.

Posts: 67423 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Saeed, our kind host. You forgot the most important facts:

8. JudgeG will be there in August 2005 with 1115. The two old miscreants will attempt to take a couple of buffalo, drink up some Highland spirits, smoke a cigar or two and howl at moon.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

I would hate to imagine what it would be like to have both you and Walter in the same camp!

Pierre was fit to tie up in a straight jacket with just Walter around, despite all our efforts to nutralize him!

He stayed in Dubai exactly 36 hours, and then took off to Spain for a much needed holiday - or so he claimed.

He arrived last night, minus his suitcase, which by some coincidence, has some meat in it!

And the best part is I wasn't even there to cause all this to happen.

That is besides the point as far as he is concerned. As he said he was bringing the meat for me. As a friend of his has shot some animals in Spain, and he wanted us to enjoy it here.

so at the end it is still my fault.

Posts: 67423 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Awesome - I would love to experience the Selous and also stand at the great man,s grave and just ponder.......

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Thanks for the info Saeed, I noticed that the buffalo in your video this year gave you lots of great shot opportunities, how would you say the wariness of the game animals compares to your safaris in Zimbabwe/RSA?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

Quote:

I would hate to imagine what it would be like to have both you and Walter in the same camp!

That could be arranged!

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bog,
Saeeds buffalo certainly gave him a lot more opertunities this year than he or his buffalo gave me!! Saeeds status became that of "Wog" ya know!!

He and Pierre and their cackling laughter will haunt me until my dieing day!! It is the most horrible sound on earth, it has caused me and PH Richard Lemmer nightmares, chillbains and bladder spasms

May the Great Bird of Paradise dump on their lips...

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You and Richard desereved what you got!

You were packing those buffalo killing calibers, a 404 and a 470, while Richard was packing a 458 Lott!

The buffalos apprently have been reading this forum, and decided to give you two a wide birth.

They thought anyone hunting with a lowly 375 and called a WOG cannot possibly hurt them very much.

They forgot that anything that has the name Walterhog stamped on them would be absolutely deadly to anything that walks this earth