New
Find
Notify
Tools

package hunt or pay as you go/
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Still gathering information on my planning of my first safari. Is it best to go with a package hunt or pay as you go? It seems from reading the mainy different threads on this site that sometimes with the package hunts, ph's tend to hurry the hunter to get to more animals. Any input will be gretaly accepted

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the pay as you go option. As the package deals can be fraught with problems as are currently being mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done one of each but no more package hunts for me. I'd rather pay for what I shoot than pay for what I might shoot. Now some people, like Ray, will refund your money for what you don't shoot but others may not! Which leaves you paying for animals not taken.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bayou,

I think that the packages represent the best "deals" - at least in RSA and perhaps Namibia too. IF they contain all the species that you are interested in hunting then I'd say go that route.
They may contain some other animals that you have no interest in or that are of little $ value. You are not required to shoot everything you have paid for if there are some that you are not interested in.
[If there are some you don't care to hunt tell them UP FRONT so they can plan around that. No need to waste time on those - or save them to the end if time is available.]

You should compare the packages prices to the cost of the "daily rate + trophy fee" approach. I most cases you will find a significant discount on the package. BUT if they are not the correct animals, and you cannot negotiate substitutions - then the daily rate/ fee basis is probably better.

The first time I went to RSA the outfitter was really pushing the PH to get the "package" completed. Then they would offer more animals at the trophy fee price IF you wanted them.

Both the outfitters I've hunted with WANT you to complete the package first as they feel they must, at least, put you in position to take the shots - or they owe you money back.

Of course they will try to sell you more animals at full price but - why not? They do need to make their business succeed and they don't MAKE you take more trophies. [On my second trip I got my 4 selected trophies on the first 4 days then just did game viewing, game counts, toured the area and helped my hunting partner finish his package - with no pressure to hunt more. [we did spend several EARLY mornings and late evenings chasing Baboons and Jackals at my choice - but to no avail.]

I think you can have a good hunt either way, the problems regarding the packages noted on here recently are, I hope, rather infrequent. BUT, as in many things, personal referrals are extremely important. You should get plenty of those here.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
there are significant savings with pkg hunts. But be realistic don't book a 10 animal pkg on a 7 day hunt in an unfenced hunting area.
also get a contract and have refunds for animals not taken in WRITING, then carry that contract with you to Africa.
Basically a contract is more for your peace of mind than anything else. I always think "how anm I going to see any violation of it thru with a company 10,000 miles away in another country?" But having one in your carryon bag to try an settle any problems at the onset of them is a big plus.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If money is no object then pay as you go is fine. If you are on a tight budget then you will probably notice that the package hunts are signficantly cheaper than a daily rate plus animal tax for the number and type of animals proposed. And the package hunts don't exclude taking additional animals so there is no restriction and this isn't mentioned enough. If you are on a package hunt and take a large antelope like a Kudu or a Gemsbok and then a couple of days later see a bigger/better/wider/longer example then you take it and pay the animal tax in most cases.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bayou,

Honestly, I would worry more about the outfitter than the kind of hunt.

A package hunt or pay-as-you-go safari with a good outfitter will both be good.

Any kind of a safari with a bad outfitter will be a bad experience.

Concentrate on selecting a good oufitter then compare the options he has on offer.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only done one africa hunt and it was a package deal. It was ok, but it all depends on the outfitter. I could tell the outfitter felt like he was getting a screwing. My comment to him and the booking agent was, if you didnt want to do, why take my money. It wasn't a bad hunt, but it could have been better.

I think pay as you go is the best way to go. The only reason package hunts are around is to get hunters, its not the outfitters preference in my opinion.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Terry is right.

But, if I had to give a blanket answer, it would be to pay as you go unless you scrutinize every aspect of the package.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that for a first timer who isnt after something special a package deal is probably better in regards to bang for the buck. After the first hunt though pay as you go is probably the better option. Teryy is right on about picking the outfitter. That is the most important factor.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the pay as you shoot, the PH is working harder, 'cause if you don't shoot it, no money. The package, all money is up front and if you don't shoot the animal or shoot a less the desirable animal, Oh well.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I think you can get a better deal in pay as you go. I've broken up my prices in different categories and leave the choice to the client. I heard many stories on arguments with regard to packaged hunts when the client wants to change animals. All it does is to turn a nice hunt in a hunt with bad feelings.
I do not like package deals.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bayou

As Wendell said the short answer is pay as you go. On the other hand your package hunt paricularly if it is a real package that does include everything from airport pick up to airport drop off at hunts end could really be a heck of a lot of bang for the buck.

On the ranch I was on for 9 days last year there were 5 groups of hunters. One was from Brazil, one fron Spain, a whole family from PA, a father and son from LA and Sadie and myself. 3 of the groups were hunting on short packages and 2 on pay as you go. The point of this is they all had a great time regardless of what they paid witnessed by them all grinning constantly.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap, so I go with the "Pay As You Go" hunt. I mostly enjoy the African experience and being in the bush stalking the animals. I don't really like shooting the animals, plus that gets expensive. Wink

Basically, once the PH gets me set up for a shot, I aim 1 to 2 feet above the animal. For the most part, I just miss, but I'm a bad shot and sometimes I accidently hit the animal. This is a great way to enjoy the Safari experience without spending too much on trophy fees. Boy, does it piss off the PH though. In fact, this post should really be under the topic "Things that Piss Off your PH" roflmao

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father and I are going to Namibia with Ph Boet Nel in June. We bought the 10 day/10 animal hunt through Tony da Costa. Definately a good price in value. I can only hope it will be as good as I expect. I will give a report when I get back.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
There is another option. Tell the PH what animals you wish to hunt prior to booking your hunt. Let them give you a price based on animals you choose. Most packages are for the sole purpose of racking up a body count. The operator can then advertise 7 animals for $XX. In my experience these are attractive for the first time safari. They are usually a good deal and serve the purpose. On your second trip you almost have to go pay as you go because all the common package animals have been taken on the previous hunt. This all means nothing if you do your homework and book with a quality safari company. Do your homework, go hunting, have fun and the killing will take care of itself!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote