New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest CITES advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am hunting the Selous in Tanzania in August (Pierre Van Tonder). I am hoping for a Leopard and maybe an Elephant. Skins will be shipped out of Tanzania either late 2013 or early 2014 (I will need to check). What is the latest best advice on applying for CITES permits. Should I do it before I leave (Now?) or wait and see what is taken and then apply. I had enormous thrash with an elephant permit a few years ago (partly my fault) and want to try and avoid it this time.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Safari Afrika 1
posted Hide Post
I suggest make sure you have you permits in hand . It normally only takes 2-4 weeks to get them . Your Outfitter should be able to give you the best advice. Leopard imported in a different year than it was shot needs to have allocation of both years for the country of export. I cannot give you much on Elephant from Tanzania. Good luck and have a Blast !

Richard Lemmer
www.safariafrika.net
richard@safariafrika.net
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/pages.../310296474391?ref=hl
Twitter :@safari_afrika

Posts: 16 | Location: Waterberg Mountains , Limpopo , South Africa | Registered: 31 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My experience with leopard is restricted to Zimbabwe. I've taken and imported two leopard. One from 2008 and another from 2011. The 08 cat did not get imported until 2010.

In both cases, I waited until getting home and knowing I had a cat to import before applying for the permit. The 08 cat's initial import permit expired and I had to get it renewed. No problems with either.

Your outfitter should be able to advise you as to exactly what you do and do not need to do concerning the import permits. I would say, no hurry. Get them when you get home. Others will disagree. In fact, either way will be fine. Whatever you are more comfortable with. But getting it early may very well require an extension, or two.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Unlike Zim, Moz, etc. Most Tanzanian outfitter like to have a copy of the permit in hand when paying your gov fees. Tanzania ships out fairly quickly, so, I would get it when Pierre says to get it.

Tanzania Game dept will allow Leopard and Elephant on your license with a copy of the application.

There are exceptions to these rules, but in general, most guys have the permit a month or so before the hunt when hunting in Tanzania.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote