Find
Notify
Tools

Look At These Prices!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I was talking with one of my good African hunting friends, Cecil Fredi, the other day and he showed my a book by Colonel Charles Askins, entitled: "The African Hunt", as published in 1958. Look at the prices for a full bag safari in Kenya and Tanganyika and what you could get on a general license/special license:

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you could buy a cup of coffee for 5 cents in 1958.

As any amateur economist knows, a good cup of coffee costs nearly $2.00 today and that increase HAS to be reflected in safari costs. Fortunately somebody in the safari industry has done yeoman's work in cutting costs in other areas so that hunters don't have to suffer the burden of the total cost increase in coffee!

We should be thankful.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I think the amazing component isn't the cost but rather what is available. We can argue time value of money all day long, but no amount of money would get you a hunt in east africa today with this kind of game list. I know there are still general bag hunts but 2 elephants, rhino, 4 buff a leopard and if I read right 2 lions, throw in a bongo a sable and all the common and east african stuff. Inflation can adjust for time, unfortunately, time can't adjust for time.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought was amazing, was the animals that you could take as part of the general license and special license.