Find
Notify
Tools

Low velocity in Federal 300 gr 375
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
I'm using the camp rifle in Cameroon. Christensen Arms and Swarovski scope. So I asked what ammo I will be using. Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. I'll assume 300 grains. On Federal's website it lists velocity at 2400 fps. I was surprised it is so low. I was expecting 2500+ I'm mean, it's not a problem as I wanted to take my 9.3X74R with a 286 grain around 2300 fps before I realized I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting it there. But I am quite surprised that Federal loads their ammo with such a low velocity. Any comments or discussion appreciated.

Roger

https://www.federalpremium.com...-claw/11-P375T1.html

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have shot so many plains and dangerous game with the Federal 300 grain trophy bonded bear claws in my 375 H&H that I have lost count. Shouldn't even be a problem. In addition, I also have a Christensen Arms with Swarovski scope, only my Christensen Arms is a 300 PRC. Nice rifle and great scope! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s interesting.

I recall them stating 2450 on the boxes I had, and that is what it chronoed at for me.

The old HE loading was like 2600 plus or minus based on temps.

It worked fine. I load my handloads to 2500 with the TSX, they all work just fine.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will be fine. Dont worry, thats the least of things to worry about Smiler

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
If that's advertised velocity, actual could be lower. I was going to let my son take factory Federal VitalShok 150g 270 Win ammo for his first elk hunt, cause I was pretty sick at the time. I chrono'd their 150g load, 2650 fps. So I sucked it up and loaded some cartridges for him with my stock load of 150 Partitions at 3000 fps. Did the job Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
A 375 calibre 300gr bonded bullet at 2400fps would be perfect medicine for Africa. Bullet weight and construction more important than muzzle velocity.

The 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby and 425 Westley Richards cartridges all made their name with bullets at 2100 - 2400 fps MV.

Federal probably load to velocity levels to suit the style and construction of their bullets.

I have Federal ammo loaded with their 140gr Trophy Bonded Tip bullet for my 7mm WSM, advertised MV of 3200 fps which chronographs from a 22" barrel at an average of 3230fps. Can't ask for better than that.

As you will know, bullet construction and placement is much more important than a hundred or so fps either way.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don't be surprised.

Most of the 375 H&H factory ammo I have tried in the past had that velocity, some even less.

They worked, and killed animals.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 2600 fps with what I think was 1990s era Winchester Silvertips from my 25 inch Winchester Model 70.

I have never chronograph other 300 grain loads. The 270 grain loads have all been over 2750. Off the top of my head they made 2800. This is Hornady ammo.

I would not use either bullet for Buffalo. Better to have a better bullet and a little less velo 2,400 as compared to 2,500 than more velo.

Now, what this tells me is there is no difference worth talking about between a 375 HH and a 358 STA.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Best velocity, for penetration, with either Barnes X or our own Walterhog bullets, is around 2800 fps.

I have done extensive testing, with velocities up 3140 fps.

2700-2800 was best.

That is wha I load my hunting ammo at.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It's been a while, but I checked my notes on this.

The 300 grain TBBC and TBSS bullets in Federal factory loads both averaged 2,530 fps MV out of my Blaser's 25.6 inch barrel.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote