New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas Safari Club
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of the AR board are members of DSC?

Anyone know how many DSC members there are in total versus SCI?

I joined SCI (do not tell Die Ou Jagter as I bash SCI on occasion and I would not want him thinking I have gone soft) and am about to join DSC as well.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DC - I don't know the number of members in each group but DOJ will be rejoicing with the good news. Glad you joined both organizations as they both are very good at what they do and great for all of us involved in hunting/shooting.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

Anyone know how many DSC members there are in total versus SCI?

I joined SCI (do not tell Die Ou Jagter as I bash SCI on occasion and I would not want him thinking I have gone soft) and am about to join DSC as well.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
DSC is about 4000 members plus or minus about 200 from year to year.

SCI reports being about 45,000 members.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I just yesterday read an article in their latest "Gametrails" publication that said they currently had 4000 members. And yes, I'm one of them.

I thoroughly agree with and support their philosophy and ethic and believe them to be the most accurately focused conservation/hunting organization in the world.

I also, albeit grudgingly, pay dues to SCI, as I believe that amidst all the of the BS that they also are a benefit to our sport.

Welcome to DSC Dogcat!! I'm confident you won't regret the choice.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

Been a member for 15 years. My Doctor invited me to a dinner in Spring of 1994

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

I am not on the AR board, but previously have spent 4 years on the board of directors of DSC. A fine organization with an altruistic grassroots flavor. If you have questions, you can call their main line and ask to the speak the executive director. He will be glad to speak to you.

Welcome aboard!

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am a member of both since about 97-98ish..

Both are great orgs.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are both DSC members. The monthly meetings are a hoot. Some real informative speakers and lots of booze. Big Grin

JC

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I am a member of DSC and SCI. DSC because I really like it and to support their mission, and SCI to be supportive of their mission.

JC,

Remember it's a drinking club with a hunting problem. Smiler

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between DSC and SCI?

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles, that's the first thing that was told about the club at my first meeting. That's all it took. SIGN ME UP!!! But really the DSC does some great work out there. JC

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Life member SCI
Professional Member DSC
Patron Member NRA

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember it's a drinking club with a hunting problem. Smiler

jumping

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am a member of both, but DSC acts like they are happy to have you as a member \exhibitor. Good people, clear mission statement, spends money on the right things and is upfront as to where the money goes. DSC has no axe to grind with SCI, wish that went both ways. It would be better for all of us, but not holding my breath. SCI has some great folks, no doubt, but the leadership continues to make some very poor choices in MHO.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am a member of both, but DSC acts like they are happy to have you as a member \exhibitor. Good people, clear mission statement, spends money on the right things and is upfront as to where the money goes. DSC has no axe to grind with SCI, wish that went both ways. It would be better for all of us, but not holding my breath. SCI has some great folks, no doubt, but the leadership continues to make some very poor choices in MHO.

Ditto!

JW

DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave said it better than I could. I fully agree with his statements. I am a member of both DSC and SCI.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:

Double DITTO!!!

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of both Dallas and SCI. I prefer Dallas as everyone there just seems so much nicer.

That's especially the case when dealing with both as a writer.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
What is the difference between DSC and SCI?

The Dallas Safari Club began its life as one of Safari Club International’s first five chapters in 1972. As mentioned above, it is a local organization of about 4,000 members. SCI is an international organization with 45,000 to 50,000 members and offices in Arizona, Washington D.C., and South Africa. It also has a school in Wyoming.

Both groups are worth supporting, along with John Jackson's Conservation Force, if you are a hunter.

Below is from my book, The History of SCI:

“... During the years C.J. McElroy held close control of Safari Club International, groups of disgruntled members mounted at least two major campaigns and several minor ones, as (SCI past president Norden) Van Horne would say, ‘to wrest control from Mac.’ The first serious effort came when a group of dissidents, including another SCI past president, sued for an injunction to keep the 1982 SCI convention from opening. The judge who heard their complaint in Carson City, Nevada, held for SCI and the convention opened as scheduled. The dissidents were not through, though.

“Later that same year, during the spring SCI board of directors meeting held in conjunction with the International Wildlife Foundation’s Film Festival in Dearborn, Michigan, a controversial proposed SCI bylaws change that would become known as the ‘Dearborn Resolution’ was written. It required SCI’s chapters to send 30% of the profits from their annual fund-raisers to SCI Headquarters. The resolution probably would have been less controversial if there were no critics who believed Mac wasn’t accountable to SCI’s board of directors and was spending money on programs the board had not approved. SCI was unique among major hunting organizations. Local chapters of the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep, Ducks Unlimited and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, for example, sent 100% of the net proceeds of their fund raisers to their parent organizations. SCI was seeking only 30%.

“Once again, unsigned letters were circulated that attacked Mac personally. They accused him of fraud in the sale of his floor-covering business and claimed he had taken one of his Rocky Mountain bighorn rams in a national park. Again, the allegations were never proved, and the 30% rule passed when it was heard at the board of directors meeting.

“The passage of the 30% rule, however, led to nearly twenty chapters quitting the club in protest, including three of SCI’s largest—Dallas, Houston and Sacramento. Within a year, all of the other chapters returned to the fold. Sacramento stayed away until 1991. Dallas and Houston still are not affiliated with SCI.”

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dallas Safari Club has international affiliates - does it not Bill?? I know one of the clubs here is an affiliate (chapter??).

Cheers mate
Matt

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder what will happen a couple of years from now when SCI has their annual convention in Dallas?

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
Wonder what will happen a couple of years from now when SCI has their annual convention in Dallas?

Many of us will go, and have a very good time.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll save a hell of a lot of travel for the company, being based in Dallas, but I think it very bad form for SCI to go forward with that idea. I'll tell you this, DSC will be the more exhibitor \ visitor friendly convention. But no new news there.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of both.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Dallas Safari Club has international affiliates - does it not Bill?? I know one of the clubs here is an affiliate (chapter??).

Cheers mate
Matt

I'm not that knowledgeable about the Dallas Safari Club's organizational structure, but I think you mean the SCI Down Under Chapter in Australia.

SCI has members in 100 countries and nearly 200 other chapters around the world. The chapters are more than mere affiliates, though. Each has a representative on the international club's board of directors and together they determine the club's policies.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I am and always will be a DCS member

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat, I am back (been to Alaska) Big Grin. Glad to hear your news! I also belong to both and believe both do a good job as does the NRA etc.

Welcome !!!! thumb

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Life member DSC and Chapter member SCI. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote