Find
Notify
Tools

Number of Hunters per PH per Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted
I was wondering, how many hunters does the typical full time PH take or handle in a given year? The PH's I have spoken with hunt it seems 8 months a year? Is 12 to 15 clients (or groups) the correct number per full time PH?

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hears my guess

First let's say we are looking at small plains game outfitters operating on their own land 10,000 acres + -. The quality of the ranch land makes a huge difference ( feed, water, cover). But I would guess the average ranch /Ph with a totally wild hunting operation could only run 8-15 hunts a year.
If you add one or two assistants, buy key animals at auction like Kudu and supplemental feed. I think it safe to say outfitters could double the number of clients taken a year.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friends in the Eastern Cape, RSA say that 15 hunts per PH is a LOT of hunts!

That is, or was till lately, 10 days X 15 hunts X 2 hunters = a lot of work in a hunting season. From their discussions it sounds like not many PH's actually get that many hunts in a season. But that they need 8-10 hunts to make any money at all.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
It really depends who the PH works for some outfits run like a shopping mall and have concessions all over the place that means much more animals = more clients per year. These are the big guys.

The law sates that a PH needs 40 hunting days over a 3 year period in their registers to keep their licenses. That is not so difficult to get but if you think of how many PH's there are in the country compared to Clients then you can see that becoming a problem.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you add one or two assistants, buy key animals at auction like Kudu and supplemental feed. I think it safe to say outfitters could double the number of clients taken a year.

What are you talking about buying animals at auction??? Supplemental feeding??? I thought Africa was Wild animal hunting???

Dr B

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Dr B,

The animals bought at auctions are wild these are excess animals captured from private properties to sell at the auctions some times there are auctions from the national parks as well to boost tehir income.

Supplement feeding is used when the property is over populated with game which is ussually the case as farmers try to carry as much game as possible not htinking of the end result of a farm in bad condition and carrying capacity. All about making $$$$

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The law sates that a PH needs 40 hunting days over a 3 year period in their registers to keep their licenses.

What "law"? Every South African province has its own regulations. I do not know whether Gauteng has a 40-hunting days stipulation, but it doesn't apply to the Western Cape.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Dr. B,

On some game ranches, particularly in South Africa, the operations are put-an-take. Meaning that the ranch is not large enough to sustain breeding populations of all the game available on the ranch. The operator will buy game at auction to stock the ranch. It is not uncommon for this stocking of game to occur several times in a season. There is very little "wild" left in South Africa, it is much like game ranching in the US. The animals are introduced in high fenced ranches solely for the purpose of hunting.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
Dr. B,

On some game ranches, particularly in South Africa, the operations are put-an-take. Meaning that the ranch is not large enough to sustain breeding populations of all the game available on the ranch. The operator will buy game at auction to stock the ranch. It is not uncommon for this stocking of game to occur several times in a season. There is very little "wild" left in South Africa, it is much like game ranching in the US. The animals are introduced in high fenced ranches solely for the purpose of hunting.
Regards,
Terry

I cannot understand the pleasure of hunting inside an enclosure barcoded game?
I am just back from the CAR where hunting is performed on huge areas : kotto safari is using a tad under 30 000 square km. Note the Selous is 30 000 sq km, Hwange (Wankie) Park in Zim 15 000 sp km. As we were only 2 hunters for a Selous like zone............we have trouble to meet and yet we got only one bongo.
This outfitt is attending to 20 hunters each year, just enough to keep the boat floating.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have several friends who are PHs in Tanzania, they usually have 5 or 6 clients per year maximum as their outfitters do not typically book any short hunts.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TexasHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the information - that is interesting information.

Posts: 126 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote